Misaki Sato; My Life in Sword Art Online | Teen Ink

Misaki Sato; My Life in Sword Art Online

By Misslillyb SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
Misslillyb SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky

Right when I put on the nerve gear I knew my life would change forever. Sword Art Online is the first virtual reality game ever. They are selling it only in Japan, and there are only so many copies to buy, and I got the very last copy.

Sword Art Online is a game that involves you to defeat 100 floors, where each of the floors has a boss. I want to be the person who beats Sword Art Online. I was one of the lucky 1,000 gamers who were picked to be beta testers for the game. I wasn’t the best player in the group, but I wasn’t the worst either. The person who beat the most floors was unknown; all I know is that he only wore black.

I was staring at my nerve gear for hours. Would I ever have the courage to use the nerve gear? I touched the cold metal of the nerve gear…I was nervous about what would happen when I put on the gear. I pushed all of those thoughts into the back of my head. “Link Start” I said as my body went limp.

“Welcome to Sword Art Online. What is your gender and username going to be?” the narrating voice commanded.
My real name is Misaki Sato, but I was always told not to use my real name though. I pushed the button for a girl gender and I typed in my game name to be Saki. My data started to load, and I finally got to see the wonders of Sword Art Online.

The wind rustled through my short black hair. This place is astonishing! I feel like I am in the real world, but then I realize, this place could never be like the real world because in this world I feel like I don’t have any feelings but who knows I might fall in love in this game.

As I walked around I felt like I was child in a candy store. There were so many activities to do in SAO; there were also many players. There were more than 2,00 people. I am never going to find the player in all black. I didn’t realize how late it had gotten; it was already 12:00 in the real world. As I went to log out I saw that the log out button had disappeared.

This must be a glitch, I wonder if it is just for me though. Might as well ask some other players. I didn’t have to because all I had to see was the shock and horror on everybody’s faces.

As I tried to take in this information a big, dark, and shadowy figure appeared. It claimed to be Kayaba Akihiko; the creator of Sword Art Online, but I don’t think anyone could take him seriously. I didn’t think I could take him seriously until he said something that surprised everybody.

“Not having your log out button is not a glitch, it is part of the game, and the only way to log out is if you beat all 100 floors of the game.”

“But couldn’t your family just take off the nerve gear?” shouted a random gamer.

“No, if that nerve gear is taken off you will die instantly,”

“But it is impossible to beat the game, even the beta testers couldn’t beat the game,” shouted another random gamer who was probably a beta tester.

“I know, you will just have to find a way around that problem, and also if you die in the game you die in real life, and you will start a level one with no items. You people really need some makeovers; if you check your storage you will find your first item.”

Everybody had looks like they had just seen death itself as the checked their storage, and what do you know I only have one item which is a mirror. I hit the icon and a very intricate silver mirror came into my hands. As I looked into the mirror my whole avatar changed. I had long black hair, with bright blue eyes, and I was wearing a white dress.

“Gamers, Sword Art Online starts now!”

As Kayaba Akihiko left everybody was either frozen of fear or going hysterical. I was frozen in place, not fully comprehending what was going on. All I know is that I have to survive and find the guy in all black.

Misaki Sato bought the last copy of the new game Sword Art Online and gets the opportunity to be a beta tester for the game. When she first plays the game she finds out one of the many terrifying secrets about Sword Art Online.