The Runner Who Stole My Heart | Teen Ink

The Runner Who Stole My Heart

November 6, 2015
By Hermione_Granger_101 BRONZE, Plumville, Pennsylvania
Hermione_Granger_101 BRONZE, Plumville, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
What's normal? Normal is a setting on a washing machine. No one wants to be that. - Ashley Purdy, BVB


I woke up in a dark box... it was so dark that i couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. I started to freak out and the box started moving. I couldn't remember anything. Not even my name. I stood up and tried walking around but the box jolted and i fell. I hit my head off a crate and it started bleeding. I passed out. When i woke again I was in a room with four people around me. I started to freak out again. This guy with an English accent started talking to me. "Calm down.. It's ok.. We aren't going to hurt you" I started to calm down but looked at them unsure. "My name is Newt. do you remember your name?" The guy with the English accent whose name i learned is Newt asked. I heard a little kid speaking in my head. It wasn't very clear but i could make out an s and then it went away. I shook my head "No. I can't remember my name." It came out almost like a whisper. "That's ok. None of us could remember right away either." After Newt finished talking a guy with darker skin started to talk. "I'm Alby. I'm the leader here. Tomorrow if your ok I will be giving you a tour. NO questions untill after tomorrow. There are 3 rules in this place. 1. Always do your part 2. Never hurt another glader 3. Never NEVER go outside of the walls into the maze.. unless your a runner or myself." After he finished I was completely confused but decided to just nod. Then i found out the other two are Clint and Jeff, the med-jacks, and are the ones who saved me. After everyone was finished introducing themselves.. Ably and Newt and Clint left. Jeff stayed with me so i wasn't alone. After a while i fell asleep. When i woke up i heard the little kids voice in my head again.. this time i heard an scar sound.. i looked over at Jeff and he was sleeping. I got up and tried to walk which only resulted in me falling and Jeff waking up. Jeff looked at me "What are you doing up?" I looked over at him "I didn't want to lay down anymore..." i say quietly. He gets up and walks over to me and helps me up and walks with me back to the bed. A little later Alby and Newt come back in. they have an Asian looking guy with them. He looks at me and smirks. "So your the greenie.. My name is Minho." I wave not wanting to talk and say something stupid. Ably asks if I'm good enough for the tour and i look over at Jeff. "Am I?" He looks at me then Alby "Well i don't think she is.. She tried to stand up and she fell."  Ably sighs and nods "Well do uou know when she will be better?" Jeff looked over at him "It is kinda hard to tell... she might be better by tomorrow.. she might not." I groan "Why can't I just go on the tour now..? I feel perfectly fine." They all look at me and shake their heads. "If you can't stand up, I doubt you can walk for the tour." Minho says looking at me. "Well I can.. just watch me." I stand up and wavers a little and closes my eyes and tries not to fall. Once i regain my balance I start to walk towards the door looking at Minho proving im fine. I make it to the door. "See I can do it." They all chuckle and Alby nods. "I guess she wants to go now." I nod and looks at Jeff, Newt, and Minho and they all sigh and says fine at the same time. Alby walks over to me and we walk out the door, Minho decides to follow us. Ably tries to get Minho to go away, but he refuses. They show me the homestead, the garden, the deadheads, and some other things.. Ably stops and looks at Minho. "We need her to see what job she can do.." I look at them "What are the jobs?" Minho starts listing the jobs "Track-hoe, they work in the garden, Slicer, they kill the animals for food, Med-jack, they are our doctors, Sloppers, they do all the cleaning that no one else wants too, Baggers, they are like security and they take care of the dead bodies, and run..." Ably cuts him off "Thats all of them." I look at him "He was saying another one though..." "No he wasnt.." Ably argues. "Yes I was.." Minho looks at Alby. "I was saying there are Runners, they run in the maze when the doors open in the morning trying to find a way out and have to make it back before they close at night, because no one has ever survived a night in the maze." Ably sends him a death glare. "I want to be a runner.." I say looking at them both. "No." Alby says shaking his head. "I agree with him.. No." Minho says and crosses his arms. "Why would you tell me if I can't do it in the first place..?" I look at him confused "I don't know... I felt like you should know all of the jobs..." Minho says and looks over at Alby. "Well why can't I?" I ask and crosses my arms across my chest. "is it because im a girl? Im probably faster than most of them anyways."No it's just to dangerous." They say at the same time. I look at them "Why is it to dangerous?" Minho goes to answer but Alby sends him a look that shuts him up right away. "Are you going to answer me... or not?" I ask growing impatient. Alby looks at me "No." I huff and walk away not knowing where I'm going. I hear footsteps behind me and looks over my shoulder to see Minho so I start walking faster. I hear him speed up so i stop and turn around. "What do you want?" I ask annoyed. "I just want to know where your going. You barely know your way around here." "I'm going to the forest.. i want to be alone." I turn and start walking again. "Well your not going to be alone.. I don't trust these boys. They haven't seen a girl since before they came to the maze." He says with a hint of worry in his voice. "Fine you can come with me, but don't talk to me." I hear him follow me after i say that. When we get to the forest I sit down on the ground and hear him sit by me. I look over at him while he isn't paying attention and smile. He looks over but I look away before he noticed me looking at him. I hear a branch snap and looks over at Minho to see he is already looking at me. I look in the direction of the noise and sees Jeff. "What's up Jeff?" I ask and looks over at Minho slightly to see him glaring at Jeff. "Just wanted to make sure your ok. Your not feeling light headed or anything like that right..?" "I'm fine. I don't feel light headed or anything." He nods and walks away. I look back at Minho to see him glaring at the spot where Jeff was just standing. I wave my hand in front of his face. He looks over at me blushing slightly. I stand up and holds out my hands. "I don't wanna sit here any more." He grabs my hands and I help him up. "Me either." I smile. "Well then where shall we go?" I ask looking at him. "We shall go and get something to eat.. it's dinner time." I nod and walk with him to go get food and for some reason I was really hungry.... We get there and everyone stares at me. As we walk through where everyone is sitting some of the boys would try to reach out and touch me or they would make comments like "You dont have a spot to sleep yet right? I wouldn't mind if you shared mine.." or "If you come lay with me tonight.. we won't be sleeping.. if you know what I mean.." After we get our food we go to a tree and sits down. I look over at Minho and see he is looking out around the glade. "So what do you do?" I ask randomly trying to create conversation between us. "I don't think i should tell you.." he says cautiously. "Why not?" I look at him confused. "Well im a... runner." He mumbles the last part. "I didn't hear you would you mind repeating that?" I look over at the fields while i wait for his answer. "I'm a runner.." he says fear laced inches voice. I look over at him "So you can be a runner, but i can't..." I frown. "It's not like that.. it's just we dont want you to get hurt.." he looks at me and i see sincerity and honesty in his eyes. "How would i get hurt? The most that would happen would be like a twisted ankle or broken bone or something. Right?" He looks at the walls then back at me. "Sadly.. no." "What do you mean?" "I can't tell you.." "why not?" I ask starting to get annoyed. "Alby said so." I look around and spots Alby. "Then ill just go ask him.." I stand up and start to walk towards Alby. Alby sees me and tries to walk away. I walk faster till I'm right beside him. "Alby, Minho said you told him not to tell me what's in the maze. Why?" Alby sighs and tries to ignore the question "Please, just tell me why i can't be a runner. Why the maze is to dangerous. Just tell me.." I look him in the eyes while I say this. "Fine. The reason it's to dangerous is because if the grievers. The reason you cant be a runner because you could get trapped in the maze and get stung by a griever. Then we might not find you in time to get  the grief serum in you. Are you happy now?" Alby says in a rush and I look down at the ground "This might not be the best time to ask, but what is a griever?" He groans and walks away so i walk back to Minho. He looks up at me and I sit beside him. "So he told my what is in the maze and why i can't be a runner, but he won't tell me what a griever is." I look over at him. "Will you tell me what a griever is?" Minho takes a deep breath. "No.." "Why not?" I look him dead in the eyes. "Just because... I said so." "Whatever." I get up and starts to walk away. He gets up and follows me. I turn around "What do you want?" He doesn't answer me so I turn around and continues walking. He catches up so he is walking beside me. I go back to the deadheads and sits under a big tree. The little kids voice comes back and I hear Scarlett. then suddenly I see a little boy about the age of 8 and a litle girl around the age of 6. "Scarlett.. We should head home.." "Why?" She looks at him. "You know mom and dad worry when we are here..." She nods and stands up, so does he. They start to walk back to a house. Suddenly it fades and I look over at Minho. He looks at me. "What?" I smile. "I think I remeber my name..." He smiles. "Well don't just sit there.. tell me!" "My name is Scarlett.." He stands up and holds out his hands "Scarlet... Scarlett.. I like it." I grab his hands and he pulls me up. "Lets go tell Alby and Newt." I smile and nod. "Lets go." We start walking around trying to find them. Once we see them we run over to them. "Guys we have important news..!" Minho says interrupting what they were talking about. "What?!" Newt looks over at us annoyed. "I remember my name..!" I say excitedly, Newts face softens once I say that. "Well what is it..?" Alby looks at us. "It's Scarlett.." I smile proudly. "Thats a pretty name.." Newt smiles. "Thanks.." I smile. "Well Scarlett.. I think we should have a bonfire tonight" "I agree" Minho and Newt say at the same time. "Well then I guess I have no choice but to say yes" I look at them and smile. "I guess you don't.." Minho smiles at me.


The author's comments:

I really like to read. I loved the maze runner but wanted to be in the world itself.. so i decided to to write as if i were there