The Race | Teen Ink

The Race

October 27, 2015
By Pandacorn1243 BRONZE, Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
Pandacorn1243 BRONZE, Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Its time! The gun fires, we take off. The race has begun. It’s October 1st, 2015. “The big race is here” Miah said. “It’s here, it’s here, it’s here!” she went on. Mia lined up to sign up for the race. The day went on, minute by minute, hour by hour. Mia was still in line by 7:00am. “Why is this taking so long” kira said.


“we’ve been here since 4:00am” Mia replied. “I’m done, I’m going home”. Kira started walking off. “Kira come back”. “No I’m not waiting in line forever” “wait but we’re almost there; there’s just three more people in front of us.” “Kira”. Mia wanted to get out of line and go after her but she couldn’t. the race was to important to mia, so she stayed in line and waited for the three people in front of her. After about five, ten minutes mia was finally up, she was in. mia signed the last paper  then she went to the track to wait for the gun to fire. She waited at the starting line for about fifthteen to twenty minutes then it was here. The announcer started to go over the rules, then he said “racers are you ready” almost everyone called out yes or ready. “this is it! The big race.” The gun went off, everyone that was on the starting line took off. The crowd was going crazy, screaming all kinds of names like jake and joe, not to forget will. Will has been in every one of these races, the only time he ever missed one was because his grandma passed and he was at her funeral, but still he has been to every race for the past four years. Hes my role model, hes the reason im here, he started my racing career. Anyway but we’re now almost to the half way mark. There’s three stereo types in racing. You got the leaders, the people that manage to stay in the front and lead the race, will. Then you have the drop outs, the people that either quit or never finish in time. Last but not least you Have the middlers, the group im in, the middlers the group that stays in between the leaders and the drop outs. So right now we’re three quarters of the way there. Almost there, only eighty yards to go. “William takes the lead” the announcer called out. the announcer keeps going “ followed by kyle, then kylie, then mia” he finally said. I finished. The race was over, I finally accomplished my goal. So im heading back to get my stuff and will stops me.” Hey you did good out there” “you really think so” I replied.” Ya, infact I would love to take you to the movies” “really? Me?”  “ only if you want” “yes! Definitely. ” “ ok, should we say eight?” “eight sounds great”

 

A few hours pass and I call kira. At first she ignores my call but then she calls back. I go on about how will asked me to the movies and how I came in fourth in the race. She didn’t seem surprised infact she seemed kinda mad. I ended up asking her about it and she said “ yeah im kinda mad, you kinda did let me walk off then you joined the race without me. So what would you expect, me to be jolly?” I felt bad after that, maybe she should be mad at me. What kinda of friend am i? after that I had to get ready for the movie date with will. I decided to wear jeans and a random shirt. So will pulls up to my drive way.
 


The author's comments:

its based off a true story but i changed the names of the people