The Very Long, Short Visit | Teen Ink

The Very Long, Short Visit

By Josh_H BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
Josh_H BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

It was dark, painfully dark. The night had come much faster than the young wizard named Rhonin had expected. He had been sent by his master wizard on a extremely important mission. He had been ordered to travel to the port city of Stormwind to purchase various items, goods, and weaponry. These items would come of great use during the Kirin Tor wizard clan's planned journey to venture into hostile orc territory to recover a companion who had been taken hostage by the disgusting, brute orcish leader that goes by the name of Gromgar. As Rhonin approached the city walls in his horse caravan he was greeted very poorly by the city guards. The city of Stormwind and its king worked very closely with the Knights of the Silver Hand. These knights were known as paladins, guardians of the holy light, their god. Magic users such as Rhonin were hated by these light guardians due to their "manipulation" of magic. The paladins had extremely different views on magic. They believed it had to be used in times of danger or combat only, not all the time. This led to the strong hatred that paladins have directly towards wizards. When Rhonin finally made it through the city security he looked for the first inn that he could find. He was to tired to venture across the city to the mage district, which led to his decision to stay in the civilian district's tavern inn for the night. He hoped to not cause any trouble today. As he was not liked by many of the people. This led him to disguise his identity for the day. When Rhonin entered the inn he made direct eye contact with a paladin sitting at the table with many other knights. Of all the inns Rhonin had chosen the one with the some light guardians staying there as well. It was to late to leave. Rhonin smiled as he walked by and approached the inn keeper. Rhonin knew the knight suspected something strange. After purchasing the key to his room he headed for the stairs, when he was stopped, "Why are you off so quick stranger, straight to bed today?", yelled the commanding knight from the table behind him. Rhonin slowly turned around looking directly at the table of paladins like a kid who had just gotten in trouble. “Excuse my manners, I am Uther the Lightbringer, of the Silver Hand Paladin Legion". Rhonin tried to take him seriously, he  told Uther of his long ride today and wished to rest. Uther nodded and he began for the stairs once again. As he longed for the stairs a young knight entered the inn in a rush. "Commander there is a wizard among us today, I saw the Kirin Tor insignia placed on a caravan outside." Suddenly Uther stood up quickly in utter disgust, "This is unacceptable I am uncomfortable with sharing this inn with a filthy wizard, attempt to burn his cart, that will get his hellbound, demonic self out of here in a hurry won’t it?”. It had only been a matter of minutes and Rhonin had already had enough, so much for his disguise. “How dare you dull minded imbeciles take a wizard as a fool, try me, go burn the cart, and i'll burn every single one of you to a crisp”, said Rhonin. When he spoke every single paladin and knight in the room looked directly at him. After a pause that seemed way longer than it actually was; Uther began to snicker, “For the smart withered comment, now we will hold you down and force you to watch your pathetic caravan be destroyed.” Two knights who were close behind Rhonin reached to withstrain Rhonin, but they had just made a grave mistake. As the first knight grabbed Rhonin’s left arm he almost immediately blew away from Rhonin as if Rhonin himself was an entire stick of dynamite. The two knights flew in two different directions, one flying directly down the stairway to the cellar and the other directly through one of the inns windows. “May the light be with us, kill this bloody demon!”, screeched Uther. At his command a dozen soldiers of the light darted at Rhonin in full fury. "You pitiful, pathetic people thought it right to attack me for no valid reason, you will now pay the price", said Rhonin under his breath. He had no other choice, but to use his ice spell to restrain the hostile men, due to the fact that he was greatly underpowered. Some of the men were less of fools than Rhonin had thought. As the wizard's hands began to glow and his eyes turned the color of crystal ice, the floor began to drastically change beneath everyone. It had turned into solid ice. The ice ran up the soldier's armor as they ran towards Rhonin and were frozen in place. Various screams of the soldiers discomfort filled the entire inn. Their armor was frozen in place by the ice and they were trapped in their armor. Uther looked at Rhonin in disbelief. Almost all of his soldiers were in peril and he knew that this fight was already lost. "My dearest apologies powerful wizard, I have once again stereotypically profiled your magic kin; Once again making a fool of myself", said Uther. Rhonin was very upset and fired up, but he knew the apology was truthful. Rhonin had to accept it he was no demon, "I do not have the heart of an orc, accept my stay in the inn for today and we will both be more comfortable in the end". Rhonin followed to unfreeze the knights who fell victim to his spell. He apologized out of common courtesy, even though the act had been out of self defense. The frightened knights all attempted to apologize to the wizard at the same time. The short stay at the inn had turned into a very long one. "It has grown very late, I will see you forgiving folk in the morn", said the grand wizard, Rhonin. Every knight nodded at him as he began for the stairs... Finally.

This was inspired by the Warcraft Franchise. I have loved it since I was a kid. Why not write about it!