Those eyes | Teen Ink

Those eyes

He looked up at the sky where little tiny flakes of snow were falling, covering the top of his head and making a white blanket all over the ground. His eyes halfway closed as he stood in the middle of the park, under a street lamp. He breathed out and a small puff of cloud appeared in front of him. Where was she? Did she forget about him?

Hope was soon fading the more he waited. It’s been 4 hours and she hadn’t showed up yet. It wasn’t like he expected her to, but it would’ve been better. It would’ve made it easier for him. He leaned against the street lamp and dug his hands into the pocket of his jacket. His fingers wrapped around the small box that was held against the palm of his hand. He closed his eyes and waited. No matter how long or how much he was freezing to death, he waited.

Inaudible footsteps were soon heard. He quickly looked up and there she was. Standing there with a worried expression drawn all over her face. “For freaking sakes, Ken, did you wait out here all this time?” she asked once she saw him. He blinked at her, dazed. She was here. She was really here. With him. Not hearing a response, she waved a hand in front of his face. Ken finally broke out of his daze and just stared at her. Those eyes that captivated him. Her dark, brown orbs absorbing him.

“Where were you?” he asked with one brow raised. He saw the way her face changed from a worried, scolding expression to a more… blissful one. The warmth he had felt a few seconds ago were gone as he saw that. Her lips curved upwards as she let out a dreamy  sigh. Her eyes lit up brightly. “I was with Leo.” she replied.

“Oh.” Was all he said. His fingers were still wrapped around the small gift he had in his pocket. He was choked up on his words. He opened up his mouth but closed them every time. He couldn’t say anything. What can he say? There a loud ‘ting’ that rang through the quiet area. Ken’s eyes flickered down to the pocket of her jeans. Her cellphone.

“Oh it’s Leo.” she said, smiling sweetly.

That is when it hit him.

She was happy. Really happy. He can’t hate him. He can’t hate the man that makes her smile like an angel.

The words that were kept a secret from her was fate after all. He wasn’t meant for her.

He looked up and met eyes with her. He felt bad. He made a mistake. Why did he have to feel like this? He couldn’t be her’s. It was too late for him. What if he was there earlier?

Two pairs of eyes looking at each other.

One remaining pair were the lost ones, tightly shut.

The eyes that lost her. He felt sorry for looking at her with these pairs of eyes.

The eyes that held so much feelings.

He didn’t even noticed when she had bid him goodbye. Ken looked up and saw her waving as she walked away. He weakly held up his arm and slowly waved back. His other hand still clutching on the small gift box. As she disappeared from his sight, he let go of the box that his hand was holding. His arms falling limp beside his sides.

A small, bittersweet chuckled emitted from his throat. Even if his heart will become like a small star for her, he knew that from far away he would still warmly shine on her. But what if?

“What if it was me?” he asked himself. “What if I can look at you the way you look at him?”

The eyes that are looking at her. One pair of eyes remaining as one left. One remaining pair watched her and lost it’s way.

monikitty12 PLATINUM, New York, New York

Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

This is such a heartwarming story! I can tell you put a lot of effort in this, and the title of this piece really made me want to read it, and it did!!! Very descriptive, and keep on writing more pieces like these!!!