The Party of a New Friend | Teen Ink

The Party of a New Friend

By AlicornLyra BRONZE, Meridian, Idaho
AlicornLyra BRONZE, Meridian, Idaho

Lyra sat alone in his home against the slightly raised wood that served as a wall. To the left of him sat his PC, which he used very seldomly, and to the right stood his kitchen with the small refrigerator, countertop, and stove he used to feed himself. Lyra sat staring at the hole in the floor, about four feet in front of him that served as the doorway leading to the outside, beside it a pole was imbedded in the wood floor with a strong vine tied around and disappearing through the hole. As he sat he listened to the rustle of the leaves that engulfed the rest of his home in a dome shape and could smell the earthy tone of the leaves that was carried on with the wind.
He was interrupted from his concentration when there was a sound, a deep gurgling in the lower pit of his stomach. He got up slowly, two paws hitting the floor softly, and walked over to his fridge with his two tails dragging behind him. Once there he opened the fridge, pulled out the drawer of berries, and placed it on the counter. He then proceeded to sort out the few berries inside, three Pinap berries, four Pecha Berries, and a single Cheri berry. “I’m going to have to go berry picking again soon” he thought to himself as he grabbed the single round, red berry with his front paws and began munching the soft flesh, a sweet and subtle taste filling his mouth as he chewed. Once he was finished he placed the remaining seven berries into the drawer and placed it back in the fridge, closing the door when the drawer was safely secured.
Once he had finished eating he went over to the sink to wash his paws, a small pool forming at the bottom as he did so.  The pool was rather reflective and almost acted as a mirror, Lyra stared at himself in this pool as he slowly watched it get drained away. Lyra was a Meowstic, a feline creature, two feet tall, mostly covered in blue fur, but with white paws that made him look as if he were wearing boots. He had a small nose in between two blue-green eyes and just below, a small mouth sat. His ears were folded, there were patches of white fur at the end of his ears as well as at the fold. He had two tufts of white hair, one on the very top of his head, the other around his neck, making it seem like he was wearing a scarf. One of his two tails were bigger than the other, but they both had white tips. Lyra turned and stared at the space in front of him, a deep feeling of loneliness falling heavy on his stomach as he realized his home was so empty.
It hadn’t always been this way, only a year ago he and his trainer lived happily in this very place. They had made this tree home together on Route 8 just west of his trainer’s favorite town, Lavender town. But one day something came over Lyra’s trainer, he had released Lyra just in front of the tree and vanished, without even saying goodbye, leaving Lyra to fend for himself. Now Lyra lives alone, he only has one friend, his neighbor Kevin, who lives in a cave a few yards behind Lyra’s tree. Snapping back to reality with a jolt, Lyra got an idea, “I’ll invite Kevin to a party and have him invite some of his other friends!” he thought to himself. With that he headed to the hole in his floor and climbed down into the chilly winter air.

Lyra’s paws landed on the soft grass as he let go of the vine. he stood up and dusted off his front paws and set off to the cave behind his home, his paws crunching the slightly frozen grass as he went. After a couple minutes he arrived to the small cave opening and called in “Hey Kevin you in there?” A few seconds later a voice called from inside, “Yeah I’m here, come on in Lyra.” “Alright, be there in just a sec” Lyra called back, and with that he entered into the warm, damp cave.
The cave was constructed of a long hallway that led into a large room, and as Lyra walked down the hallway his ears barely scraped against the low ceiling as moisture clung to his fur. As he reached the large room he saw his friend Kevin, sitting on a mat next to his pc, staring at a black screen. Lyra walked over to his friend and sat next to him on the strangely warm cave floor, “Hey, Kevin.” he said with a smile on his face. Kevin turned to Lyra, “Ahh, hello Lyra, what brings you here?” Kevin asked as he faced Lyra. Kevin was a Goomy, a small blob of goo about a foot high, the bottom half of this goo was a dark purple while the upper half was a light purple with two green circles at either end of his squiggle mouth which resided at the part of the two colors, two black dots sat just above the mouth which served as the eyes. “I was just thinking I would throw a small party over at my place tomorrow , and was wondering if you’d like to come?” “You can invite anyone you’d like to.” Lyra added.
“Ohh, awesome, I’d love to come, eh!” Kevin exclaimed, “I have the perfect person to invite too, I think you two would get along real well, eh.”
“Alright, I can’t wait to meet them.” Lyra said with a smile on his face, “would you mind if I borrowed your berry basket?”
“Nah, I have a good supply of berries, you go ahead and use it, eh.”
“Alright, thank you, I should probably get going, I’ve got to go prepare for a party.” Lyra said as he got up, “Ohh alright, I’ll see you tomorrow then, eh?”
“Haha, yep, see you and your guest tomorrow” Lyra said, he then walked to the basket laying next to the entrance and picked it up, waved to Kevin, and started walking down the long hallway to the outside world.
Once he emerged from the cave he set off to the west of the cave where a few berry trees were sitting in the soil. He sat the basket down next to one of the trees and focused hard. He was engulfed by an ominous blue glow as his ears unfolded to their true height revealing the two glowing blue eyes at the ends of the ears that served as concentration points for his psychic powers. He hit the tree with enough psychic force to knock the berries attached to the tree into the basket. He did this for the remaining two trees and headed off towards his home, his basket filled with fresh new berries.
Returning home only a few minutes later, Lyra sat the basket down next to the vine, focused his psychic powers onto the basket as it was enveloped in a blue glow and started climbing the vine into his home, the basket floating closely behind. Once inside his home he set the basket down, picked it up and walked over to his fridge and opened it, pulling out the drawer of berries, and dumping all the berries on the counter and counted his total. He now had eight Pinap berries, nine Pecha berries, and three Cheri Berries, just enough for him to make a good dinner for his guests tomorrow. He yawned as he started to put the berries back into the fridge, once they were secure he closed the fridge door and walked over to the mat on the floor, laid down, and rested until the morning.
The sun shone through the leaves and laid a ray of light right on Lyra’s face, waking him from his slumber. He stretched and stood up, “Guess it’s time to get this place cleaned up for tonight” he thought to himself as he looked around his house. The floor was covered in his fur, shedding was common in this weather and he had been shedding a lot lately. He focused on the floor, letting his psychic overwhelm him, he focused and threw all his power into blowing a strong gust of air on a spot on his floor, causing all the fur and dust to lift on the ground. He then focused on the dust and fur floating in the air and, with a small blast, threw all the dust out of his home through the leaves. Cooling down, Lyra walked over to his water bowl and took a drink, looked around and thought to himself “Looking good.” He then began working on the dinner, pulling the berry drawer out of the fridge he set to work. He pulled out the skillet from beneath the counter and turned on his stove, placing the skillet on the burner. He began slicing up the Pinaps with a knife he pulled out of a drawer, the yellow zigzag-striped berries were very soft and didn’t require much force to be chopped up. He then dumped the slices into the pan with their juice and watched as they sizzled softly. He then chopped up two Pecha berries, their fuzzy skin giving way to the blade with even smaller force, and dumped the cubes into the pan of sizzling Pinaps, a sweet aroma filling the air as he tossed the mixture of berries. Once the berry mixture was turning a perfect shade of golden brown he dumped it into a large bowl, he then proceeded to mash the mixture together forming a brown mush. It wasn’t the most pleasant sight but the smell was amazing, a sweet and tart aroma, only slightly overwhelming, he went and sat the mixture in the fridge to let it cool. He then grabbed a large mat out from under the counter and spread it out to serve as the table and placed the remaining berries onto a plate and set it on the center of the mat. After that he grabbed a loaf of bread and pulled the mixture from the fridge and started spreading it on slices of bread creating sandwiches and set them in a fancy array on a large plate, which when he was finished, was placed on the large mat. He then cleaned up his mess and waited.
A couple minutes later he heard a shout from the base of his tree, “Hey, Lyra mind helping me up, eh?” Lyra jumped up and rushed over to the hole, “Hey, Kevin, one second!” he called down. He focused on his friend, engulfing him in the blue light, and slowly rose him up into his home, setting him gently on the floor. As he did so he noticed the vine tied to the pole had tightened and was making a soft rustling sound as someone was climbing up “This must be Kevin’s friend” Lyra thought to himself, getting kinda nervous he immediately told Kevin where the food was at and as Kevin left he sat and waited for the newcomer. Once the newcomer had climbed up the rope and stood up Lyra was astonished to see that they were a Pancham. A Pokémon the same height as lyra, a small bear shape with a chubby belly and round head, the eyes were surrounded by black fur on a stunningly white face. Two whisker like tufts stood out on either side of the face, with a mouth that looked as if they could smile from ear to ear, a leaf was stuck in one corner of the mouth while a cute black nose stood right between the eyes. The body was split in two colors, the upper half a deep black, the lower half a dark grey. The way the colors worked out made it look like they were wearing pants, the paws they were standing on were the same black as the top half. A cute little white tail resided right in the part of the two colors at the back. They were the most adorable thing Lyra had ever seen, Lyra started shaking uncontrollably as he introduced himself, “H- hi, my name is Ly- Lyra, th- the food’s over th- there.”
“Hello, Lyra, my name’s Oreo, Thank you for inviting me” Oreo said in a feminine voice.
“A girl!” Lyra thought to himself, he’d only met a few through his travels with his trainer. “You’re welcome, Oreo.” He said smiling, and with that they went and sat down and began eating. The sandwiches were a hit, and the talk lasted all night. Once the food was gone and the talk died down the party was over. Lyra lowered Kevin back down the vine after saying his goodbyes, then turned to face Oreo “I had a great time with you tonight, Oreo, thank you so much for coming”
“It was a pleasure Lyra, I look forward to hanging out more often” She said and gestured for a hug, Lyra accepted. The hug only lasted a little bit but it was great. “Well see you later, Oreo.” Lyra said, “See you Lyra” Oreo replied as she set off down the hole. Lyra watched as she climbed down, a single thought going through his head. “I made a new friend!”

This was a personal narrative peice I was assigned in my English class. I just hope that people find it very enjoyable and have a great time reading it