Advice Column | Teen Ink

Advice Column

Brendan Petalburg, an awkward 16 year old with a passion for writing, in his sophomore year of highschool, just recently joined the newspaper club. Never before had he thought of being a writer, less known joining a club where all the members write and update news about the school. As his first meeting had just finished, he was racking his brain for ideas to start an advice column.

Just yesterday, he had suggested that the school newspaper should add an advice column, something to maybe help students who were stressed or struggling with something. The club president approved of the idea, telling Brendan that he was in charge. Brendan was at a loss of words, he only suggested it, he wasn't actually thinking they'd accept it less known tell him that he would be in charge.

The next paper would be out in three weeks. He didn't know where to start, he's never given someone advice so how could he possibly write an advice column and let the whole school see it? Brendan was so caught up in his thoughts about how to start the advice column, he didn't even know his name had been called by a familiar brunette female.

“Hey Brendan!”
The young black haired male turned to see May Birch, his childhood friend and crush. “Oh, hey May.” He greeted her with a smile. She grinned back. “What are you thinking about, Brendan?”
“I'm just wondering how to start an advice column for the school newspaper.” He answered before turning back to his notebook.
“Haha! You giving advice? Please!” May snorted snatching the notebook from Brendan’s grasp.

She mumbled as she read over the pages, then handing the notebook back to Brendan. “How is it?” Brendan questioned as May shrugged before walking away. Just as Brendan stood up to walk to his history class, a figure dashed into him, knocking him over.

Brendan glanced up to see Serena G?bena, the girl known for having an extreme amount of tardy slips and the most flirtatious attitude even though she has a boyfriend. She rubbed her head from when she bumped into him. “Aww!! I'm gonna be so late!!!” She exclaimed picking up her bag and racing off. “She needs to get a new clock…”

~

Brendan plopped down at a random table and began brainstorming about his column when Serena sat next to him. “Hey Brendan, sorry for running you over this morning.” Brendan just smiled at her, waving his hand dismissively. “Don't worry about it.”

Serena smiled back before glancing down at his notebook. “What are you writing?” She asked picking up the notebook. “Oh, just ideas on how to start my advice column for the school newspaper.” He answered as she shook her head.

“Brendan, Brendan, Brendan. You're so cute, but what is this advice column on? How to make your own dress?” She laughed placing his notebook down.  Brendan frowned as he placed his notebook in his backpack. “No, it's just for students who are stressing over school.” “Oh well, there’s Red. See you later Brendan.”

~

Brendan sighed as he took a seat on a bench in the courtyard. “Ugh…my thoughts on this are going nowhere!! Not to mention my friends think it's going to be stupid anyway.” He groaned flipping through his notebook.

“Think what is going to be stupid?” Brendan turned to his friend, Touya Black running a hand through his hair. Touya was one of Brendan’s recently made friends. He was known for being a total slacker and a troublemaker. Even though he's a slacker, he’s in newspaper club and always manages to get his articles in on time. “Oh, nothing. Just some stupid advice column I'm trying to write.” Touya grabbed the notebook flipping back and forth through the pages.

“Hm…well, here’s some advice, don't give up. Even when it seems as if everybody's against you, don't give up!” Touya grinned handing Brendan his notebook. “Thanks, Touya. I needed that a little.” “I know! That's why I said it.” Brendan smiled as he realized something. “Is that what you say when you try to get Serena to go on a date with you?” Touya nodded. Brendan laughed. “Well, I hope she accepts your feelings.” “Thanks! Well, see ya tomorrow, Brendan.” Touya smiled as he walked off.

Brendan smiled softly to himself as Touya’s words repeated themselves in his head, ‘don't give up’.

~

The next day at school, Brendan was in the cafeteria, sitting by himself, working on his advice column. “Brendan!!” The black haired male turned to the direction of the voice, his friend, May and his other friend Calem X. No one knows much about Calem since he's new and normally keeps to himself but people assume he's a nice guy.

“Oh, hi May. Calem.” “So! Brendan, how's the advice column going?” May questioned with slightly mischievous grin. “Not so good. I mean-“ Brendan started before getting cut off by May. “Has anyone seen it besides me?” Brendan thought for a moment. “Well, Touya and Serena have seen it.” May snickered. “I bet they think it's gonna be a bust cause I think you're going to fail, but we’ll still love ya even if you make a complete fool of yourself.” Oh such nice, encouraging words from some Brendan has known practically all his life and eventually grew a crush on.

Brendan just simply rolled his eyes before gathering his things and turning to leave. “That kid is gonna crash and burn.” Calem sighed shaking his head. May laughed. “I'm so with ya, Calem.”

~

Brendan sat alone in the courtyard hoping to figure out why everyone thought his advice column was going to be a bad idea, that is until Touya popped up.
“Hey Brendan!!” He greeted Brendan with a cheesy grin. Brendan glanced up at Touya with a frown. “Hi Touya.” He mumbled. “Why so sulky?” Touya asked tilting his head.

“This column!! Practically everyone I've talked to hates the idea of it!!” Brendan shouted causing all the students in the courtyard to give them weird looks. Touya blushed out of embarrassment. “Chill, Brendan. I'll help you. Let's start with a title first.” Touya suggested as he tried to come up with a decent title for the column. “How about ‘Ask Brendan’! When people need advice, they can just ask you. Rather then stressing yourself out with unnecessary advice, just wait until people ask you. See, there's some advice.”

Touya should be the one writing the advice since he always has some suggestions, Brendan thought. “Thanks. That's a good idea!! Let's meet in the computer room later to start it.” Touya grinned giving Brendan a thumbs up. “Then it's settled. I'll see you in the computer room later.” He confirmed before walking off.

Just as Touya left, Serena skipped up to Brendan with a mischievous grin with Red, her mysterious boyfriend who doesn't normally talk much but when he does, it's normally a one word answer.

“What?” Brendan asked not bothering to look over at the blonde. “I'm curious, can I see what you've been working on so far?” She asked trying sound as innocent and not as mischievous as she looked. “No.” Brendan simply answered.

“Why not?” Serena pouted. “Cause I said so.” Brendan told her in sassy-like tone. “Don't mind Serena.” Red mumbled causing Brendan to stare at him. This was the first time Brendan had actually heard Red speak almost an entire sentence and it was kind of shocking.

While Brendan was still processing the fact that Red has just spoken without being spoken to, Serena grabbed Brendan’s notebook, slipping it into her bag. “Come on, Red. Seems as if someone is being to secretive to show his friends his work.” She pouted grabbing Red’s hand, dragging him off to who knows where but as the couple was walking off, Brendan swore he saw Serena smirk.

~

Later that day, Brendan frantically searched through his bag for his notebook. “Ugh…where did I put that notebook?” He mumbled. Earlier, he noticed it missing and couldn't remember where he placed it. Serena skipped over giggling with an unfamiliar red-head. “What are you doing?” She asked when Brendan glanced up at her. “Searching for my notebook.” Serena smiled holding up his notebook. “This notebook?” She asked waving the notebook in his face. “My notebook! Where'd you find it?” The red-haired male sighed shaking his head. “She didn't find it, she stole it from you earlier today.” Brendan completely ignored the fact that he still didn't recognize the red head and glared at Serena. “Give it back!!!” The blonde simply shook her head before running off.

“If you want it, you gotta catch me first!!” Brendan groaned as he started to chase Serena around the courtyard. As Brendan was chasing Serena, the mysterious male grabbed her accidentally pulling her on top of him. “Serena, stop.” He told her as he snatched the notebook when she wasn't paying attention.

Serena pouted. “Why not? Having Brendan chase me is fun!” Brendan glared at Serena. “Yeah. For you!” He coughed grabbing his notebook from the silver eyed male and walked off.

~

The next day, Brendan was walking through the hallways, on his way to class when he heard shouting. He turned the corner to see Red and Serena arguing. “Oh no.” He mumbled as he turned back to go to class. “I have to fix this.”

Later that day, Brendan strolled around the cafeteria searching for a seat when he noticed Serena by herself, sobbing. He frowned as he made his way to her table. “Are you ok, Serena?” He questioned. “We fought. We never fight! What am I going to do?” Serena cried not bothering to look up at Brendan. “Are you asking for advice?”
“I guess, but…I don't know…”

Brendan smiled to himself. This was his chance to start the first article of his column, to prove to his friends that his column wasn't going to be as bad as they thought. He took a seat across from Serena. “Ok, um..maybe you should tell me why you had that big argument?” Soon caramel eyes met ruby colored ones. She sighed heavily. “Ok…remember what happened yesterday? He saw me and Silver. He assumed something was going on between us but it was just a big misunderstanding.” Brendan nodded. He felt bad about the whole situation and wanted to hug Serena but decided against it. He didn't want to make this situation worse than it already is.

“Well…you need to march up to him and tell him everything! Tell him about what started this whole mix up, tell him that this Silver dude only wanted you to give my notebook back.  Speaking of which, why did you steal my notebook?” He wondered as she looked away sheepishly. “I don't know…I just wanted to play around. I didn't know it was going to cause such a problem. I'm sorry, Brendan.”

Brendan shook his head. “It's ok. I'm not mad or anything but you should tell Red about what really happened.” He suggested cracking a small smile. Serena nodded as she stood up. “Thanks, Brendan! I'll go tell him now! You know, your advice is pretty good and so is Touya’s, but common sense should have told me to tell Red about the whole thing. Anyways, bye, Brendan.”

Brendan laughed dryly at her rude comment. “Well…thanks…” He mumbled before realizing he forgot to meet Touya in the computer room.
“Oh no! I forgot to meet Touya yesterday!!!” He shouted causing everyone in the cafeteria to glance at him with weird stares.

~

“Touya!!!”
Said brunette turned towards the direction of his name being called. “Huh? Brendan? What's wrong?” He asked tilting his head to side wondering why the ruby eyed male was frantically shouting his name. Brendan gasped as he came to a stop. “I've been looking for you everywhere!! Geez! I wanted to apologize about not meeting you yesterday.”

Touya blinked before rubbing the nape of his neck. “Oh, don't worry about it. I left early yesterday.” Brendan laughed awkwardly. “Oh…heh.”

“Did ya hear? Red and Serena got into a fight!! I also heard they broke up!” Brendan’s eyes widened. “What?! Serena didn't tell me that.” Touya shrugged. “Oh well, at least I have a chance with her now, isn't that great?”

“Yeah…” Touya leaned against the wall. “What's wrong?” Brendan laughed, scratching his cheek. “Well…I kinda told her to make up with him.” Touya’s eyes widened. “YOU WHAT?!?!” Touya exclaimed breaking his pencil in half.

“Sorry! I wasn't thinking about it. Plus, you don’t really like Serena. You like her cousin Touko.”
Touya rolled his eyes. “No I don't, I'm over Touko. I like Serena and this conversation is over!! But I think it's good that they broke up, now she can date-“
“Me.” Touya and Brendan turned around to see Red with his arms crossed.

“Hey!” Touya frowned crossing his arms. Red rolled his eyes before turning to Brendan. “I heard you told Serena to tell me that it was just a misunderstanding.” Brendan nodded. “That's because it was!! I was there! That guy only pulled her and she accidentally fell on top of him. He wanted her to give my column back. So do you forgive her?”

Red nodded. “I can't really stay mad at her forever.” Brendan smiled brightly. “Great!! So, are you guys back together?” Red cracked a small smile. “We…never broke up.”

“Aww man…why would she want to get back together with a guy like you.” Touya mumbled under his breath even though Brendan heard it. He shook his head. “That is so childish.” Touya turned to Brendan with a fake grin. “I know.” Brendan rolled his eyes, it's just what Touya said in front of Red was just plain rude.