What We Are | Teen Ink

What We Are

November 19, 2014
By Anonymous

It peered down from a high thin branch every day for months as I walked home from school using the short cut through the shunned forest. Both eyes glared at me in a suspicious way. Its black feathered body is what gave me the creeps; you would think it was a stuffed bird or a feathered covered robot spy, watching and getting information about me. It listened to every conversation I had with anyone, “How rude”, I would always think. The first and last time I looked closely (or went close to) into its eyes, it somehow reminded me of looking into my teddy bear’s eyes; neither of them blink.

 

At first I thought that telling my blood relatives was crazy, I was wrong it was worst, it was dreadful. They ended up shipping me to Chicago, to stay forever, when they told me it was for a couple of months. I wasn’t allowed to go to the beach, drive on the highway, and to anyone’s house that was out of Chicago. They were turning odd, or nuts even, with it, and instead of the ‘bird’ watching me, it was them. Now they guard me daily, and nocturnally, just the same as my dad, the police officer.

 

I’m Vanessa Winters, or as the police call me, The Killer, as my cousins title me, Izzy, or Iz. I basically have a bunch of names, and go by all (except The Killer, no-one in the whole world knows that that’s me, except my cousins and four best friends). I lived In Italy, moved when I was four years old to Chicago because of my cousins. I’ve never had a normal life; I started to think if there is a such thing about having a normal life. I’m now sixteen, with a planned life, unusually career that should not be assigned to a sixteen year old girl, and a police officer dad that is very, very deadly to me.

 

One day i got really angry with my cousins stupid idea that i can't go out of the safe circle. I was right near the line. I am never to go over this line ever.

 

"You don't want me to go over this line, huh?!" I yelled in anger. "You say never to go across this line!" My two cousins sat with there arms crossed over their chest. James was going to answer.

"Let her be", My other cousin Dawn said.

"Yeah! Let her be", I mimic. "I'm going to show you who's right." But I shouldn't of listened. I stepped over the line.

 

"See, nothing happened did i-" I heard a gunshot, and instantly i fell to the concrete ground. Then everything went black.

 

I woke up the next morning-well that's what I thought, in the hospital.

 

"She's up", I heard someone in the hallway said. James and dawn walked in.

 

"Told you so", James said.

 

"I know, i know, i shouldn't of listened", i said blushing.