The Watch | Teen Ink

The Watch

November 10, 2014
By Anonymous

The Watch
Walking down the street alone from school was Loren. She was a quite girl who was shy but had several friends, Jordan, Holly, and Eric, Loren has known them since 3rd grade. She gets good grades in school, her last report card had all A’s. Her parents are loving and good to her, but they work all the time so she barley sees them.
        As Loren is walking down the street she notices a green watch on the side of the road, a women’s watch with black time hands and a heart on the back. Right underneath the heart was a faded name, as it seems to be. She decides to keep it in good faith. Finder’s keepers she felt at heart. When she got home she went straight to her closet to pick out clothes for the next day so she could match with the new watch she just found. Loren laid out a green shirt, with a purple sweater, green flat shoes and purple jeans.
Early in the morning, Loren gets up anxious, as it was the first day of school, to wear this new watch. She goes to the kitchen and runs into her dad as he comes in from work.
“Hey Loren, where’d you get that watch. It looks nice on you.” He said
“Oh, I found it on the street yesterday.” Loren said
“Be careful you might find out who it belongs to out there.” Her dad said.
“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine.” Loren said
          So out the door, Loren goes to the bus stop and the senior kids were standing in front of her. She stood behind everyone as she usually does, like no one noticed her, because they never did.
  “OOOOOOOOO!!!! You look cute!” Said one of the guy seniors.
  She looked away blushing.
    “ Thank you.” She mumbled under her breath
Thing like this started to happen to her all day, when she got on the bus people started giving up their seats asking her for her number, telling her she was to quite to even notice. Girls even started to notice her and befriend this wonderful person that no one knew she was. When Loren gets to the classroom the teacher even compliments her.
  “ OOOOO, nice outfit Loren.” The teacher said
Oh, it’s just something that I put together today.” Loren said


All day people have been complimenting how nice she looks and it’s making her feel more wanted, more alive. All of these people wanting to be her friend she didn’t know what to do, so she acted how she thought she was supposed to act.  Arrogant, stuck up, like she was better than everyone because that is exactly how she felt. Where did sweet and shy Loren go. No one will be able to find her unless she comes back to her senses.
A few days go by and Loren has worn this watch every day, except for this one particular day. While everyone is thinking that this girl has to be the coolest she has turned sour in just days. Her clothes got flashier people started admiring her more but no one noticed how she was acting until she saw her friends.
“Hey Loren.” Said Eric
“Wassup Loser.”
Eric is stunned as Loren is laughing towards the name she is calling him.
“Why are you talking to me like this?” Eric asked
       “It was just a joke punk, Relax dude.” Loren said
Holly and Jordan walk over stunned as they heard her in the classroom.
        “Whoa Loren why you talking to him like that you know he doesn’t like playing like that.”
Holly said.
“Who cares, you guys are losers any way.” Loren said
“Oh, that really hurts, we’re your friends why would you do that to us.”
Jordan said
“ I have all these people who want to be my friend, I am popular now and you guys are losers.”
Loren said
They all shook their head in disbelief and walked away. Some of the people who were trying to suddenly befriend her, instantly lost respect for her. It wasn’t too long before all of that fame quickly turned into disgust in how she acted. All the people in class who thought she was a nice attractive girl quickly realized that she was just another. Mean pretty girl. She gets around the popular kids and tries to act arrogant as usual. But by this time they all had already heard what she had did to her friends. How talked to them. See she was from a small school in Scarborough where everyone knew everyone.


“Wassup ya’ll.” Loren said
No one replied, they all just looked at her and kept talking like she wasn’t even there. See for a girl that used to be quite her ego was definitely shot back down to where it was. It was like magic that sweet little girl everyone once knew was back. She walked away with her head down. Didn’t really say much for the day, but then the sudden thought came back. She didn’t have the watch. She was ready to go home and look for the watch.
As she got in she destroyed her room looking for that watch. But she then remembered she left it with one of the people she decided to call a friend who now doesn’t even want to speak to her. The friend as well as everybody else figured that if she treated her childhood friends like that how would she treat them. But the friend knew the watch before, she saw it somewhere plenty of times. It was her cousins watch.
“ Hey did I give you that watch the other day?” Loren asked
“Yeah, but it’s my cousins watch so I gave it to her last night.”
Loren was astonished she didn’t know what to do, her friends stopped talking to her for acting obnoxious. And the new kids who were her friends were ignoring her for her behavior. She then realized that no matter how you feel with something or how much people respect you, you never lose sight of your friends.