This Doesn't Feel Like Getting Well | Teen Ink

This Doesn't Feel Like Getting Well

August 1, 2014
By JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California
JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California
43 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fiction is the lie that tells the truth."


The wet, grainy sand feels so cold against my numb, clammy body. Then the waves come over. The frigid water came to cleanse me, to wash off the sand and blood. I can hear the ocean come onto the shore to rinse me clean. I can hear the waves crashing in the distance. I can see the stars shining bright over my head. What happened that lead me here?
Ah, I remember everything, o yes. I didn't want you back but he was no good for you. Now, I can't say that I love you but I can say that I hate him so. All of this was because, at best, I'd bad intentions. However, in all honesty, I'd rather die than see you with another guy, especially him. I don't regret saying that. You knew that he was no good for you. That's why we needed to talk. All I was doing was trying to help.
You wanted to meet near the rock formation at the beach. I agreed. It was about one in the morning. All I wanted to do was help. You had tear-stained cheeks but decided to ask how I was. I lied and then asked you the same. You lied too. You started choking on your sobs and your eyes ran like waterfalls. I walked to you and started to hold you. This is why I left in the first place. It appears that I broke you worse than what I thought. I walked you back to your car to see that you left safely. Instead, you pulled me inside and attempted to start things that have happened in your car before. I started to panic.
"All I wanted to do was help. I don't love you anymore."
The words I said were lies. I did not know. I got out of the car and started back to the rocks to pick up my things. You started to follow the way you usually do when you get upset. In your typical rage, you shoved me. I landed into the rocks unexpectedly. My crown bashed on the stone and I lay motionless on the wet sand. Soaked in water, stained in blood.
The sand is cold on my body. The ocean roars about as it pulls me in. The stars shine so bright. I could hear your cries as you ran back to your car and drove away. Let's see if the dead can rise or if I'm just washed away.


The author's comments:
This short story is based off of a song. House of Heroes' "Pulling Back The Skin" Listen, Read, and Enjoy.