World Skipper | Teen Ink

World Skipper

By g0lfwaang BRONZE, Charlotte Amalie, Other
g0lfwaang BRONZE, Charlotte Amalie, Other

" I rather wear flowers on my head, than diamonds on my neck."

In a thick luscious forest, whose leaves were the strongest of all land. Through the harshest of winters these leaves will not fall for no man, or wind. In this forest lived a man by the name of Majnun. Growing up Majnun was very poor. His parents was to very poor farmers. At the age of 17 Majnun found a black large top hat. Just sitting there in the middle of the farm, as if it was fate waiting on him. He knew nothing of this hat, but he was determined to find out. Majnun took this mysterious hat and carefully placed it in the middle of his floor. He slowly walked around it, he didn’t know what it was at the time. But he knew there was something special about it. Trust me friends, he found the magic in this hat. He lived in the 1700’s. Majnun, however grew up to be very dark. He started practicing a forbidden sorcery called world skipping. A practice that is frowned upon almost everywhere, but he makes billions of gold coins by traveling through the worlds with his employer, his independent contractor, his somewhat friend—Rumplestilskin. They met when Rumplestilskin had to travel through the world of Dr.Frankenstein. A client of Rumplestilskin’s daughter died, she needed a new heart. Frankenstein had the solutions to his problems. After that adventure, Rumplestilskin hired Majnun for many other assignments, but 4 years into his career, Majnun’s baby girl is born, Alair.

My father, Majnun, or The Mad Hatter is a very interesting and powerful man. As that is what he tells me. He can travel through different worlds, through his hat. He doesn’t use it anymore. He doesn’t even where it. He has it locked up in a box somewhere. He won’t tell me where. However I am grateful that he told me the story behind it. Most parents would leave me

blind about who they really are. Not my father, my father is a truthful person. His mouth never speaks lies. Even though we are very poor now, I am glad my father stopped his practices, because world skipping is how I lost my mother. See, when you get in the hat, there is massive amounts of mirrors, and behind each mirror is a world, or parallel universe. If two people enter a mirror, only two can come out. No more, no few.

When my mother was pregnant with me, she and my father traveled to a land called Dementia, this land is very dangerous, and anybody who dares to enter, is risking their life in a major way. But they needed water, from a magical lake, to heal my mother, she was sick. Eventually they got the water, but as they were leaving, mother stopped moving. She was stagnant, her whole body froze, as if she was frozen in time. As if her spirit traveled to another realm. When father looked down, he saw water trickling down her leg. He knew I was coming. I came of course, but my mother didn’t. She was still frozen. Frantic father didn’t know what to do. He waited a whole week, for her to un-freeze, but it was hopeless. He went, he left her and took me with him.

Her name was Saleia, beautiful name that is. I wish I could see how she looked. I wish I could find her. Father told me that he is never going back there, that he is never using the hat again. He lost somebody he loved. He lost himself. Every day I go out in the forest, and hunt for supper. Father tells me I’m a natural, whatever that means. Anyways I love doing it. I love knowing that I’m helping out in some way. Although I hate running in to my father’s old friend, Rumplestilskin. He is always trying to make deals with me. Rumple has very magical powers. He can do, get, or kill anybody or anything he wants. Nobody has ever duped Rumple, he knows

what you desire, but he doesn’t quite know what you’re thinking. So if he knows you desire to take him down, trust me my friend, he is 8 steps ahead. Yesterday in the forest I ran into him, he asked me if I wanted to make a deal.
“What sort of deal?” I asked charmingly. Even though he is very tricky he is still my friend, and I trust him. He softly replied “If you show me where your father keeps his hat, I’ll help you find your mother, Saleia.” At that moment, I felt a feeling of curiosity and grief, I really wanted to find her and see if I could help her.

“Sorry Rumple” I said. “My father doesn’t even tell me where he keeps it, I think it’s only for the best.” Rumple looked at me dumbfounded.
“No, no, NO. Dearie if you find this hat, you can be rich again, you can have anything your heart desires, but I know that you do not desire riches, dearie, you desire your mother. You long to see her every day, you think of her every waking moment. If you find this hat, we can both have what we desire.” I told you he knew what you desire. I looked him in awe, even though I knew his powers, I was still surprised.

“Okay Rumple, I will search for this hat, but you have to do me what thing.”
“What dearie?” He said.
“Stop reading my damn desires!!” He laughed, then disappeared into thin air. I stumbled home thinking about where my father could be hiding this sacred hat, I know little of. I met him at the front door. “Alair!” He shouted. As he walked away I stumbled into the house and cleared the room, we had guests, from a very competitive school, The Academy. The Academy, is a school for very talented youth, however father can’t afford the costs, and they rarely accept girls. Only

rich boys went to this university. But they said that if they found me special, they will pay for my school costs. They thought that finding as much students would protect the royals from shutting down their school, because of the Ogre wars. The Ogre wars is a fight between humans and ogres, obviously. But these ogres don’t want material things. They crave human blood. So we must defend ourselves. The Academy thinks that if they get enough intelligence, they can defeat the ogres and possibly over-rule them.

Before they came I braided my hair down, and laid it on my left shoulder. I put on my newest dress and my shiniest shoes. I heard a tap on the door these people must me vey graceful. I opened it and greeted them with grace. The looked impressed. When I invited them inside and seated them, I called in father. He came, greeted them, and sat as well. Let’s just say the interview went very well. It sat well enough in my stomach that I could sleep at night with the thought that I am going to The Academy.

The next morning I went to the market to buy a fruit. While I searched for the perfect one, I saw the perfect one. The perfect boy. His eyes sparkled like Lake Saales on a full moon. His hair as wild as a wolf with its pack. He looked at me and smirked. I looked away. I just couldn’t get my mind off of him. When I was on my way out, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I quickly pulled the hand away.
“What do you think you’re doing?” I said sharply.
“Hey, don’t act like you didn’t like what you saw.” It was him. He is quite cocky if you ask me. Not exactly my type.

“And so what if I did? It doesn’t mean I wish to be yours. It’s quite the opposite actually.” I laughed.
“Ha, you are quite humorous, how about you and me meet in the forest, this time tomorrow.” He asked this with sincerity.
“Hmm, I’ll think about it.” I then quickly walked away. When I reached home, father was writing something very furiously. “
What’s wrong father?” “Nothing, something came up go hunt for supper.” I did what I was told. When I came back father was gone. I went to bed as I was very tired. The next morning there was father, at the edge of the bed in tears.
“Alair, I have been forced to join the army, for the ogre wars. Now you know how that works. I will die, no matter what. If you need anything just call on Rumple, he owes me a lot. They asked me for my last wish and it was to speak to you. Bye love.” “And I just want you to know that I love you with every crevice of my soul. I must leave now.”
Without a second word he left. He didn’t want to see me cry. He didn’t want to see me hurt. That morning I cried a lot. I’m on my own now. I decided to meet the boy in the forest. When he saw me in tears, he quickly came to comfort me.
“What’s wrong Rh’edd?” He asked.
“My name is Alair, not that foolishness.”
“Ahh, yes I know, but your hair is a fiery red, so I shall call you Rh’edd.”
“I see.” I said. “I like it.”
He smiled. “So, why is my Rh’edd crying?”

“M-m-my” I stuttered. “My father has been called to the war if orgres. He is all I had, now he is gone.” I sobbed.
“No, no, no, you have me, I will be there for you.”
“Thanks, but I barely know you, my trust is sparse.”
“Rh’edd you don’t have to worry, I will never betray you, if I do kill me, or kiss me so I can remember what I’m losing.” He said with charm.
“What is your name?” I asked.
“The name is Blayden.” “Let’s go back to my flat.”
"Ah, not so fast dearie." Said Rumple. He just popped out of nowhere. "We had a deal, now where is the hat."
Blayden pulled out his sword "What is this vile creature?" He asked in such a calm manner, it was quite scary. Blayden stepped closer. "Don't you lay a finger on her."
"Stupid child." Said Rumple. "Do you not know who I am?"
"That is The Rumplestilskin" I whispered to Blayden. Blayden then slowly drew his sword back in.
"Now dearie, have you found the hat?"
"No Rumple but, I may have an idea of where it is hidden." Blayden looked confused.
"Okay Dearie, keep looking." He said that in a cheerful tone, like he was happy to hear that. As soon as Rumple left, Blayden turned to me and asked.
"Is your father The Mad Hatter?" He looked intrigued. "Yes." I said.
"Well, let’s get back to your house, we must find this hat, and your mother."

"How could you possibly know about that?" I asked numbly.
"Don’t ask questions, love, let’s go.” When we reached my house, we decided to dig under the dead flower bed. We found it. “Your father is smart.” Said Blayden. “Hid, in plain sight.”
“Okay how does this device work Rh’edd?”
“You have to give it a spin.” I said.
“You stay here, I will go back to the flat to gather supplies for our journey.” When he left I sat with the hat in my hands, guarded it with what was left of my life.
“Dearieeee.” Sang Rumple. “Now you do know, you’re not going in that hat without me.”
“Yes.” I whispered. “I know, now be gone.” As he disappeared he sang a tune under his breath.

He is not who you think he is
No he is not
He will leave you in distraught
Yes he will
Yes he will
Love, is so blind, oh so blind.

I knew who he was singing of. Blayden. I trust Blayden. Is he just singing this tune to scare me? Yeah knowing Rumple, he probably is.

When Blayden arrived he had two bags packed with great amounts of supplies. “Let’s go.”

“Wait.” I said. “Rumplestilskin is coming.”
“Well I have nothing packed for him.” He sounded concerned.
“It’s okay Blayden, he will be fine.” When we went outside, we placed the hat in the center of the yard. Rumple appeared out of nowhere (not surprised).
“May I have the honors?” He slowly walked up to the hat and spun it just a little, not too much. After that the hat started spinning massively wild until a huge portal opened up. The portal was jet black and seemed to never end. I saw the fire in Rumple’s eyes light up, like a child. We all held hands and hopped in. The fall was so hard. I can still feel the pain today, in the same exact spot. The hat was on Rumple’s head.
“I’ll keep this for safe keeping.” He said.
“I don’t think so.” Blayden said as he snatched the hat off his head. He then put it in his bag. Rumple laughed.
“Okay so where are you heading Rumple?” He asked.
“I am going to Farethed, the land of gold.” Typical Rumple, greedy.
“Well we will meet you back here in a day.” Said Blayden.
“Fair enough.” Rumple then stepped into a mirror lined of solid gold seashells. “Bye, dearies!” He snickered. I turned to Blayden.
“Do you know which mirror we have to walk through?”
“Of course I do.” He said.

“I don’t know if this is the right time to tell you, but I was kind of there when your mother, you know sort of froze up.” I was completely shocked. I had so many questions, but the only word that managed to slip out is “Why?”
“Because Rh’edd I was your father’s best friend, we went on many adventures together. Until he betrayed me. I was an orphan. He took me under his wing and taught me everything I know today.”
“How did he betray you?” I asked.
“I don’t want to speak of it.” “Now let’s find this mirror.”
As he searched for the mirror, I sat in the middle of the room and thought of all of this. Is this what Rumple’s song was about? Is this prophecy? Is this fate? So many damn questions. Not enough answers. I mean who would I even ask at this point? “Found it Rh’edd, I found it!” Blayden screamed. I ran over to him.
“Now Rh’edd, this world is very dangerous. If we stay in for too long we will go crazy literally. Don’t stray away. We must stay together at all time. Do you hear me love?”
“Yes.” I said.

We then held hands and stepped into this world. The skies were gray and full of doubt and lost hope. The trees bared only fruit of human skulls. The skulls still had the eyes in them. The ground was surprisingly full of grass that was a heavy opacity of green. It was quite lovely. “There she is.” Blayden said as he pointed to a woman who was completely frozen. How beautiful was she, yes. Her hair as red as the flame that burned in my heart asking me to touch her. Her face blank. I touch her. She doesn’t respond.

“Mother.” I whispered broken-heartedly. “This is your daughter, Alair. I’ve missed you. Living without you has been really hard. Father is getting forced to fight in the ogre wars. I have nobody. Please wake up. I need you, I need you.” I felt Blayden’s hand on my shoulder the same way he did when he stopped me at the market. Before he could say anything I broke down crying into his arms. He was about to say something but, as his mouth opened, I felt every bone in his body tense up. I was speechless, is this really happening am I really about to lose everything I have come to love? Then suddenly I froze I could not move. My thoughts are now trapped in my head. I can look around my surroundings but I eyes don’t move. What happened next, no man can ever explain to me. At that moment it felt as if my spirit and soul was being sucked out of me. I’m being taken away. This all I remember of my past life.

I currently live on some sort of world called earth; I am a “highschool” student. Blayden sits next to me in History class. We occasionally make eye contact. I wonder if he remembers, who we were and what we had together. As for mother she is an English teacher. Sometimes I want to just go up to her and ask her if she remembers anything, anything at all. I want to ask her if she knew she had a daughter, and that she sits in the front row of your class every day. This is the paper I’m turning in to her today. I hope she remembers.