No Turning Back Volume 2: Boot Camp | Teen Ink

No Turning Back Volume 2: Boot Camp

By HellsingSoldier13 SILVER, Dayton, Ohio
HellsingSoldier13 SILVER, Dayton, Ohio

"We do not think outside the box. We are outside the box, looking in."

Chapter 4: Nick's Weapon

The next day, Nick awoke from the loud buzzing of an alarm clock. He groaned and checked the time on the alarm clock that appeared in his room.

"6:45?! Why do I have to be up so early?!"

As if answering his question, Walter and the man in red stepped into his room.

"Good morning Master Nick, I hope you slept well?"

Walter said, going over to the alarm clock and shutting it off.

"It would have been better if I got to sleep in." Nick replied tiredly.

He then looked at the man in red and his sleepiness melted away.

"I know you! You're the guy who asked me if I wanted revenge."

The man chuckled slightly.

"Yes that was me. I knew you would be an interesting recruit. Welcome to the dark side of the world."

His voice was deep and cold. Walter looked at Nick,

"This is Alucard, the vampire who decided to save your life."

Nick looked at Alucard, "So why is it I'm up before dawn?"

Alucard grinned and said, "Before we send you off to school, we need to train you in basic combat. That and you also need to get accustomed to the changes that your body went through."

Nick nodded.

"So basically it's like boot camp for my body."

Walter stepped forward.

"Precisely. Now, if you come with me, we will get you a temporary weapon. This weapon will be the basis of your custom made weapon when it is finished."

Nick's eyes lit up.

"I get a weapon? What kind?"

Walter smiled a bit,

"That is up to you to decide."

Walter walked off and Nick followed behind him, thinking about what kind of weapon he should get. Soon Walter opened a door that lead to the basement, Nick walked in and looked around. It was dark but he could see like it was high noon. Inside the basement, Walter lifted up several cases and opened them. Inside were various weapons from an oversized pistol to a very large gun marked "Harkonnen." Nick looked over each gun and eventually picked up a black shotgun with silver trim.

"Ah that's a good choice Master Nick."

Walter said, while looking at the gun.

“That shotgun has two types of ammunition. The first is a silver slug melted down from a cross atop a church; it's hollowed out and filled with explosive mercury, very useful. The second type is a spread shot. Each pellet is made from silver that the pope himself blessed."

Nick marveled over the shotgun.

"I'll take it. This seems like it will suit me well."

Nick looked over at Walter.

"Just one question though, why is it that I need a weapon."

Walter smiled a bit.

"I'm glad you asked," he said, "The reason you need a weapon is to kill the ghouls that roam around."

"Ghouls?"

Nick asked, confused.

"Yes ghouls. They are the creatures that attacked you. They are zombified vampires that were created by a main vampire. You become a ghoul by two different ways. The first is if you are a non-virgin and you are bitten by a vampire. The second way is if you are bitten by a vampire of the same gender."

Nick's eyes widened.

"Wait then that would mean I'm a ghoul!"

Walter chuckled slightly.

"Alucard wasn't the one who turned you. He knows of the rule that is why he had Miss Victoria change you."

Nick appeared relieved a bit.

"That would explain why I don't feel much different."

Walter nods.

"I suggest you head down to the shooting range and get used to your weapon. Your training begins today at noon."

Chapter 5: Basic Training (Part 1 The Shooting Range)

Nick headed down towards the shooting range, carrying the shotgun he had obtained from Walter. It looked like an 8-gauge but it felt as light as a stick.

"Is this one of the changes that Walter was talking about?"

Nick said as he messed with the shotgun, tossing it between his hands. Nick soon arrived at the shooting range, oddly enough; he couldn’t see any targets on the range.

"Huh. What kind of target range has no targets?"

Nick continued to look around. As he searched around, a loud BANG resonated from behind him. Nick cringed and turned around. There behind him, was Alucard who had just shot his gun.

"What are you shooting at? There are no targets."

Alucard looked at Nick and chuckles.

"Oh there are targets. You are just using your human sight. The closest target is one kilometer away."

Nick looked at him in utter shock.

"One Kilometer?! Jesus Christ that's far!"

Alucard turned toward Nick and frowned.

"It's far for a human which you no longer are. For us vampires, it is like it is no farther than 100 yards."

Nick looked at him, listening.

"So how do I use my vampire sight?"

Alucard chuckled once more.

"It's not that hard. Just focus on the blood running through you and then focus this blood to your eyes. Once you do that, you will be able to see the eight targets out there."

Nick nodded and aimed the shotgun. Then he focused the blood coursing through him. As he did, he felt a warmth surge through him. Guessing this was the control of his blood, Nick focused the warmth to his eyes. After a few seconds, the area in front of him seemed to be yanked forward and he could now see eight targets at varying distances. He then aimed at closest target, a Humvee and fired. A few seconds later, the Humvee erupted into flames. Nick smirked.

"Direct hit sir."

Alucard patted him on the shoulder,

"Good shot. Now focus on the farthest target and fire. But before you shoot, switch to the spread shot."

Nick emptied the shotgun and switched the ammunition. He then took aim at the farthest target, a 2 foot dummy and fired. A few seconds passed. Nick grinned when he saw the head on the dummy become nothing but sawdust and splinters.

"Confirmed headshot sir."

Nick said, satisfied at his shot. Alucard looked out at the dummy.

"So it is. You're a better shot than Seras. Nice job, meet me in my room at eight tonight for your hand-to-hand combat training.

"Yes sir!"

Nick said saluting, then walked off.

Chapter 6: Basic Training (Part 2: Hand-to-hand Combat)

At a quarter till eight, Nick headed toward the basement once more. But this time, instead of going down the way Walter had taken him, he went through an entrance that was hidden behind a painting. As he walked downstairs, he could hear Alucard chuckling as he waited for Nick to come down. Nick shrugged off the chill that ran down his spine.

"Man I know this is just supposed to be training but I can't shake the feeling that I'm gonna end up hurt."

Nick soon arrived at the bottom of the basement stairs. He looked around, his eyes adjusted instantly. Across the room, there appeared to be what looked like an old throne. In that throne sat Alucard, who slowly clapped upon Nick's arrival.

"Well well, excited to start the next part of your training aren't you?"

Alucard asked in a sarcastic tone. Nick just looked at him and shrugged,

"Lets just get this over with, the sooner we do, the sooner I can start school."

Alucard grinned and rose up out of the throne,

"As you wish, the first part of the training will be simple: Just basic hand-to-hand. After I feel you are ready, we will move on to the more interesting part."

Nick looked at Alucard curiously,

"What is the interesting part?" Nick asked.

Alucard chuckled,

"That Nick is when I will teach you how to release you restrained power."

Nick looked at Alucard confused,

"My power is restrained? Why is that?"

Alucard looked at Nick with a serious face.

"Your powers are under restraint so that you do not go crazy and on a killing spree. The restraints placed on you though, have an unlock system on them. Once unlocked, your powers will be unleashed."

Nick stared at Alucard with a surprised look upon his face.

"But wait, if I unlock my power, how will it get restrained again?"

Alucard looked at Nick with a bit of a blank expression.

"The ability to unlock your power has, in its way, the terms to when your power will be locked again."

Nick appeared confused but nodded, wanting to start his training. Alucard appeared content and finally stood up.

"Well now, it's time we began."

And so, for several hours, Nick was trained in simple hand-to-hand combat. When finished, Alucard bowed to Nick.

"You've done well; it's time we moved on to unlocking your power."

Nick appeared eager so Alucard continued.

"In order to release your power, all you need to say are these simple words: Releasing Control Art Restriction Systems three...two...one, approval of Situation A recognized. Commencing the Cromwell invocation. Ability restrictions lifted for limited use until the enemy has been rendered silent."

Nick looked a bit disappointed.

"That's it? No big explosion or anything?"

Alucard stared at Nick with a serious expression.

"That is it. It may seem like nothing, but when the time comes that you have to use those words, you'll understand their power. Now go upstairs and pack up, you'll be leaving for your school tomorrow."