No Turning Back Volume 1: The Beginning | Teen Ink

No Turning Back Volume 1: The Beginning

By HellsingSoldier13 SILVER, Dayton, Ohio
HellsingSoldier13 SILVER, Dayton, Ohio

"We do not think outside the box. We are outside the box, looking in."

Introduction

This is the story about a boy named Nick. Now unlike most boys, Nick had a secret. His secret had a name; its name was Moka Akashiya. You see, Nick is a childhood friend of Moka's. In fact, he was her only human friend. Nick and Moka were practically inseparable until High School. Since Moka is a vampire, she had to attend a monster school. This is where our story begins.

Chapter 1: Saying Goodbye

"What do I do? What do I do?"

Nick was pacing back and forth frantically in his living room, trying to figure out how to spend his last four days with his lovable vampire friend, Moka.

"Dammit! I'm so stupid!"

His face began to flush red as thoughts of being with Moka flashed through his head.

"If anything, I need to tell Moka about how I feel towards her.... Maybe she feels the same way."

He glanced at the clock, it was 2:35.

"Moka will be here any minute."

He thought,

"It's today or never."

Several minutes passed before a knock was heard on his front door. Nick walked over to the door and opened it. Though he had seen Moka everyday since childhood, she always took his breath away because of her sheer beauty.

"H-hi M-mo...."

He was cut off as Moka leaped at him, giving him one of her crazy hugs.

"Hi Nick!!"

Moka said enthusiastically.

"I missed you so much!!"

Nick smiled at this even though she had just seen him yesterday.

"I missed you too Moka."

He broke the hug.

"Moka I need to tell you something."

Nick said nervously.

"Hold that thought." Moka said, "Um Nick? I'm a little hungry."

Before Nick even had the chance to respond, Moka had bit into his neck and begun to drink his blood. After a while, Moka let go of him and smiled a bit.

"I'm sorry. I just can't help myself. Your blood is so tasty!"

Nick just stood there looking at her, his face a deep red.

"Oh! Wasn't there something you wanted to tell me?" Moka asked, curious.

Nick sat there silently for a moment, gaining his courage.

"Moka, I've known you most of my life. We've grown up together, been close to each other, and have been the greatest of friends. But I don't want to be friends anymore…. I want to be more than friends."

Nick said in a shaky voice. Moka looked at him, a blush forming across her face.

"I wish you had told me sooner. I didn't know you liked me that way. I do want to be with you but we won't see each other for a few years. I promise that I won't forget what you said."

With that, Moka leaned close to Nick and kissed his cheek. The next few days were a blur to Nick. Both he and Moka felt the same and Nick had felt the bond they held had deepened. The morning of the first day of school, Nick woke up early to see Moka off.

"Well this is it. This will be the last time I see Moka for a few years. I wonder how much she will have changed the next time I see her."

Nick headed over to Moka's home and waited for her outside. After a few minutes, Moka walked out of her door and saw Nick. Upon seeing him, a blush slowly crawled across her face. "

H-hi Nick."

She said nervously.

"Hey Moka." Nick replied with a slight smile, "Are you ready for your first day of school?"

Moka nodded slightly,

"It'll be different without you around."

Nick looked at her for a moment, letting what she said sink in.

"Yeah it'll be different without you as well."

Nick then held out his hand which Moka nervously took.

"I'll really miss you Nick, You are one of my closest friends."

Nick nodded.

"The same goes for me Moka. I'll miss you too."

They walked towards the bus stop where Moka was being picked up. Minutes passed, and the bus pulled up. Moka started to get in when Nick called to her.

"Moka wait!!"
She turned around to look at him; Nick stood there and smiled a bit. She smiled back and as she did her eyes widened as Nick placed his lips upon hers and kissed her. Moka's face darkened.

"Goodbye Nick, I'll miss you."

Moka said as the kiss ended and she got on the bus. As it pulled away Nick said,

"I'll miss you too Moka, Goodbye."

Chapter 2: "The Accident"

Nick sighed sadly as he watched the bus spirit away his one friend, his one love.

"I wonder how much she will have changed when we meet again."

Nick said to himself,

"I just hope she's still nice and sweet."

Nick watched the bus turn a corner and disappear. He then headed back to his house, remembering all the fun he had with Moka. He especially concentrated on the past five days, telling Moka how he felt about her, her telling him she felt the same way, and them sharing their first kiss. Nick's face turned red again as he remembered this and he sighed again but this time a little more happily....

That night, Nick headed off to the arcade where he and Moka first met. On the way there, Nick noticed that something was wrong, like as if there were people watching him. He shrugged this off and put in his ear buds and started listening to "Bad Company" by Five Finger Death Punch. As he walked, Nick noticed a dark figure moving along the shadows. This caused him to stop and take out his ear buds to see if he could hear anything.

"Who's there?" Nick asked cautiously.

At first there was nothing and then Nick spotted a woman on her knees crying under a street light. "Man that is the corniest thing I've seen. That looks like a scene from an old horror movie,” he thought. Nevertheless, Nick walked over to the woman to see what was wrong.

"Hey. Are you okay?" He inquired.

She sat there and continued crying, ignoring him.

"I said are you alright?" Nick demanded.

Still, the woman didn’t respond. Nick grabbed her shoulder and turned her towards him. What he saw next would make even the coldest hearted person shiver. The woman sat there with her eyes gouged out, her cheeks torn, eye sockets bleeding, and her lips badly busted. Suddenly the woman shrieked.

"Get him before he escapes!"

Nick looked up to find himself being surrounded by several people, all with red eyes.

"S***."

Nick cursed, surprised by the unforeseen situation.

"Alright look, I don't want any trouble, so if you don't mind, I'll be on my way."

Nick attempted to walk away only to encounter more red eyes blocking his way. Nick sighed,

"Alright fine, looks like I’m gonna have to deal with this the hard way."

Nick squared up and looked around, searching for the weakest link so he could escape. One of the red-eyes moved forward and swung. Nick ducked and jabbed the red-eyes in the gut, knocking it away. Two more red-eyes moved up and Nick sidestepped, ending up in the street.

"This should give me more room. Now I should have the upper hand."

Nick started fighting the red-eyed people, winning without much of a problem. Suddenly the red-eyes bolted.

"Yea that's right you better run!" Nick shouted at them.

Then all of a sudden there’s a flash of bright light behind him and he turned to find a semi truck speeding towards him.

"Oh f*** me."

Nick said before the semi plowed into him, ripping him in half from the waist down. For a few minutes, Nick lay there, gasping like a fish out of water. He started to see his life flash before his eyes. Tears welled up as he realized that he would never be able to see Moka ever again. As the light started to fade before his eyes, he spotted two people walking toward him. A male dressed in a red trench coat with a matching fedora, and a female in a police uniform.

"At least the cops showed up." Nick presumed.

The male walked over to what was left of Nick and kneeled down before him.

"Listen here boy; I've been watching your fight. You've got a lot of spirit so I decided to give you a choice."

The male's voice was deep and cold.

"You can either die here a human, or you can join us in killing those who are evil."

Nick looked up at the man weakly, with his last breath; Nick whispers the word,

"Kill."

His eyes closed and everything went black.

Chapter 3: Nick's Recovery

Nick jolted awake with a start, inhaling sharply as he sat up. Instantaneously, a sharp, burning pain shot across his abdomen. Feeling this, he doubled over, wheezing and coughing up blood. He could faintly hear the beeping of some kind of machine. A door slams open; Nick looked up to see a slightly older man wearing a butler uniform, rush in and force him to lie back down.

"Please Master Nick, I need you to lie down and relax."

Nick looked at the man in confusion but he stayed still and listened.

"Who are you?"

Nick said after the fit of pain had subsided. The butler looked at him and smiled.

"My name is Walter C. Dorneaz, butler to the Hellsing Estate."

Nick looked at Walter, a confused look on his face.

"I thought I died Walter... I remember that damn Semi-Truck hitting me. Or was it a dream?"

Walter frowned slightly.

"You did die Master Nick. But, you were lucky enough that Master Alucard and Miss Victoria happened to see your demise."

"How is that lucky?"

Nick asked, a bit angry.

"Because,"

Walter replied,

"You were given new life. Do you not recall agreeing to become a vampire?"

Nick paused, trying to recall the previous night's affairs.

"So you mean to tell me that when I answered the man in red's question of fight or kill, I chose to become a vampire?"

Walter nods, "Precisely."

Nick frowned, thinking.

"Well I guess I can use this as my chance to get revenge on those idiots who caused this to happen to me. What do I have to do to achieve my goal?"

Walter looked at Nick.

"Well first off, per Sir Integra's orders, you are to rest and recover from yesterday's experience. Which I personally think is a good idea considering its 2:00 in the morning."

Nick appeared bewildered.

"2:00 am?! It doesn't even feel like that! It must be because I'm a vampire now."

Walter nodded.

"That's right, but for now you need to rest, your body hasn't fully recovered from your transformation."

Nick nodded, realizing it would be best not to ask questions until later.

"But Walter, where am I going to finish school?"

Walter gave Nick a small smile.

"We found a school that accepts monsters. It's called Yokai Academy."

Nick gave Walter a funny look; as if the name sounded familiar then it dawned on him.

"That's where Moka is attending!"

Walter looked at Nick.

"Someone you know I presume?"

Nick nodded. Walter soon left and Nick drifted off to sleep, his dreams filled with Moka and their early reunion.