The Prince Groom | Teen Ink

The Prince Groom

By Bookception SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska
Bookception SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska

I'm not weird, the world's weird!

The Prince Groom

Wesley had been lounging on top of his enormous lavish bed, silently mourning the loss of his one true love. His “Princess” Buttercup had the prior year perished on a voyage, when he Dread Pirate Riley had plundered the ship.

However, Wesley felt that he had never truly been able to mourn the love of his life because the following week, Queen Noseliya had ordered him to wed her… They were not married yet, but they were to be in the next few following weeks.

“Why”, the blond moaned in sorrow, “Why did she have to die?” He sat up as a thought crept into his mind like a snake into a baby's crib... He could still mourn the empty spot she had left, but he couldn’t here. Not in this palace, not as Noseliya’s husband... So the would be prince thought aloud to himself, “If I run away, flee from here... Then I can mourn my love. I know I could join the monks to the west of Duvan... Yes, that’s what I must do! I must leave now if I am to make good time, plus as a monk I will need few possessions, so I won’t have to pack even!”

So without a second thought, Wesely changed into travel clothes and set out on horseback as though he was going for a casual horse ride, when in truth he was finding his freedom to love and mourn. However he did not expect to be met by three thugs along the way. One of the thugs, a giant, covered our blond hero’s mouth with a damp rag, soaked in a sickeningly sweet scent.

That was the last thing Wesly could remember, before the darkness engulfed him...

Once he awoke, he quickly realized that he was on a vessel of sorts, taking harbor next to a set of large cliffs, which he assumed that they were to climb. Vasini, the short bald brains of the operation, gave a nervous glance at the sea behind them, where it seemed there was a fast approaching row boat on the horizon.

“Fezzik hurry and get the rigs”, Inigo cried, “That boat is still chasing us!”

Vicini said, “Inconceivable, they are probably just passing through this area!”

“You keep saying that word”, the Spaniard said, “I don’t think it means what you think it does.” And with that they were ascending the cleft side, and much to Vicini’s dismay, their assailant still followed.

Once at the top they were spread out with Wesley still Vicini's captive, as the other two would have been likely to release him. Soon Vicini stopped to rest, being the little lazy fat man that he was, and moments later was when the Lady in Black arrived at the scene.

“So you were quick enough to defeat Inigo, and you were strong enough to take down my giant, but that won’t help you defeat me!” the small man mocked, “Because I am Vicini, a master of wits!’

“Fine then, how about a challenge of the whites.” the Lady in Black declared lazily sitting down.

“Choose your poison Miss.”, Vicini cackled.

She pulled out a flask, a wine bottle, and two goblets, before saying, “Then I chose poison.”

And that’s how it went down, Vicini tried to cheat, but this had been anticipated, and Vicini died. It turned out that the Lady in Black had poisoned both goblets due to having acquired immunity to that specific poison.

“Now we must go, before Queen Noseliya’s men arrive, Wesley!”, the woman hasted, not catching the slip up of revealing that she knew his name. Even if she hadn’t, Wesley did.

“How do you know my name?”

She looked at him rolling her eyes saying, “I thought this would be the moment where you would say, as you wish.”

After a few moments of silence, the blond man threw his arms around her crying out her name with joy and relief, “Buttercup! I thought you were dead! I was going to be forced to marry that horrid Queen, so I tried to run away! I’m so glad you’re alive!”

“That’s great now let’s hurry up, before the guards catch you and take you back to her!”

“As you wish!” he cried with joy, before they ran for the woods, where the guards wouldn’t dare to go. However, they had not expected those guards to loop around and meet them at the other side... That was where they spilt Buttercup’s blood. It was where his hope for love and joy died along with her.

So this was how he found himself in a chapel with that reached Queen, forced to marry her, seeing as he wasn’t allowed to even say a word during the ceremony. Once the proceeding was finally over he was escorted back to his room, where he cried. He didn't let the tears stain his face for long because he quickly formulated a plot.

If he couldn’t be with Buttercup, he would rather be dead. His eyes landed on the ornate dagger that he had received as a present. Suddenly he felt a darkness creep over him, numbing him to his core. He would die that night...

He would not live in this world, a world without Buttercup. Wesley was going to join her in Heaven, and if she wasn’t there... He would join her in Hell!

So he snatched up the dagger like it was his lifeline, ironic as that sentiment was, and poised it directly over his heart, thinking of her words to follow her, when she rescued him from Vicini.

Yes, he would follow her. So with his final, as you wish, Wesley let the dagger fall, making its home within his heart...

I wrote this for my yes my creative writing class.