Fame or Friendship | Teen Ink

Fame or Friendship

By BestWritingByBrit GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
BestWritingByBrit GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey

"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."

Fame or Friendship
“If you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you haven't learned anything.” ~Muhammad Ali

I gazed around my room. It was quite ordinary, with a white bed, a white dresser, a white window, and white walls. My bookshelf was stuffed with CDs. In my friends’ eyes, I was a skinny, crazy musical girl. I glanced out my window and saw red, orange, and yellow leaves drift to the ground. Squirrels, chipmunks, and all sorts of animals scampered around in the wilderness of my backyard. The golden sun shone, giving the carefree and content animals light and guidance. This was my favorite season of the year.

“Maddie, get the phone, it’s for you,” called my mom, interrupting my train of thought. I took the phone that was lying on my bed and looked on the screen to see who it was, but the only thing written on it was, ‘Private’. I wonder who it’s from, I thought to myself as I put the phone against my ear.

“Hi, is this Maddie Lyric?” a voice asked. It had a low tone, but it was definitely female.
“Yes,” I replied, uncertain if I should tell this stranger my full name.
“Well, Maddie, I have a surprise for you. I’ve seen your singing covers on YouTube of my songs and your own songs you’ve written, and I’m quite impressed,” she responded.
I froze. Did she just say something about me singing her songs? How does that make sense? I only sang covers of… of… Suddenly, my eyes open wide with surprisement and realization.
It was Lady Gaga- and she was impressed!!! I could become a star! I had so many questions to ask-they were like a volcano about to explode. But, I held them in. Lady Gaga explained to me what this ‘surprise’ was. After a while, I finally hung up with a smile glued on. “Mom! Do you know who that was?” I half-ask, half-shout to my mom. Not waiting for her to answer, I screamed with fervor, “LADY GAGA!”
My mom’s jaw dropped to the ground. I explained to her what Lady Gaga had told me. She saw me sing in my YouTube videos, and instantly loved it. The ‘surprise’ was that she wanted to work with me! I could not believe my ears! But the thing is, she lives in LA! This means I would have to move… Nevertheless, my mom, who also had a career in singing, immediately agreed to this wonderful deal.
Did Lady Gaga really think that I- a scrawny little girl, could have so much potential? I almost squealed out loud with delight. I had to tell my friends! I texted McKenzie first because she’s my best friend. Actually, more like sister. I had known her ever since Kindergarten, and we have been inseparable ever since. We did almost everything together. We had even been on vacations with each other! One time, we went to Disney World when we were eight years old. Another time, we went to Six Flags together, thinking we would die when we went on KingDa Ka. All the fond memories came flooding back. We were known as the M&M’s at school- Maddie and McKenzie.
Literally a minute later, McKenzie showed up, not even bothering to ring the doorbell. She burst into my house, just like every other time. “So where are you going to work with Lady Gaga?” McKenzie asked. “You are still going to school, right?” she added.
“Umm, well, no… Not exactly. I have to… move to LA.” I replied, avoiding her astonished look.
“LA? Are you crazy? You’re going to drop school? You’re going to leave me? You’re only 15! Your mom agreed to this?” McKenzie demands. “You can’t go!”
“Fine! Fine! I won’t go!” I snapped at her.
Right away, she shut her mouth and was speechless, for once. I looked at her pale blond hair, her pointy nose that I always teased her about, and her sky blue eyes full of hurt. She was right; I couldn’t leave my best friend. I could see the regret coming over her face, “No, no, Maddie! I didn’t mean for you to get angry at me. Go ahead. This is an amazing opportunity for you.” But, she knew she had lost. I shook my head firmly at her. Once I make up my mind, I never change it.
A week had passed since my phone call with Lady Gaga. I had my mom call her back because I was too depressed to do so myself. The day of September 15, 2013, I was supposed to be on an airplane going to an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That was today. As I came back from school, I saw that the lights in my house were strangely dark. When I opened the door, tons of voices shouted, “Surprise!” The lights flickered back on. McKenzie stood in the center of the room, and smiled brightly toward me. Had she planned this? A surprise party just for me? I looked around my house. The usual blandness was missing. All the stairwells, walls, and basically everything were decorated with balloons and colorful posters saying, ‘You are my best friend’. Just as I was going to hug her, just as I thought things couldn’t get any better, Lady Gaga walked into my house! I knew because only she would wear a sparkling silver dress with a spiky wig and ten-inch heels. Everyone started screaming. It seemed like more than 100 people were here, so trust me, it was louder than 100 lions roaring.
“Hey Maddie, lets sing ‘Autumn’ together, what do you think?” Lady Gaga asks, smiling as she started towards me.
I was stunned. “Y-yes. Of course,” I stammered. ‘Autumn’ was one of the songs I composed. Did she know how to sing it? Turned out, she did.
I had the best night of my life that day. I sang my own song with Lady Gaga in front of everyone! I was laughing and having a spectacular time! But, there was still that mystery- how did she get here? At that moment, McKenzie came over, and she explained to me that she had set this whole thing up! When I told her I wasn’t going to LA anymore, she had called Lady Gaga and told her my situation. Lady Gaga wasn’t just here for today. She was here permanently now! Lady Gaga moved here to New Jersey because she wanted to be closer with her parents. I could work with her and go to school at the same time! So, I guess you can say it was a win-win situation! Finally, McKenzie finished explaining, and I hugged her, not letting go, my face streaked with tears. I took one of her posters that said, ‘You are my best friend’ and taped it onto her. She was truly the best friend someone could have.
I had changed- not from the outside because I was still a girl with straight brown hair and chocolate eyes. But in the inside, I became a more mature and thoughtful girl. Now, I knew that some things were more important than other things.
Lady Gaga then asked me, “So, do you know what you want to sing about in your next song?”
I replied confidently, “Friendship.”

I hope people will realize how important friendship and family really is.

Aww thank you so much! Your feedback really means so much to me!

CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa

Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone. -Andy Biersack
Sometimes you gotta fall before you can fly. -Kellin Quinn
You made me hate my own reflection. -Sleeping With Sirens

This was awesome.  

Omg thanks you are making my day!

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

This is great!!!!! PLEASE Keep writing!!!