Predestined Purpose | Teen Ink

Predestined Purpose

By Sonali BRONZE, Doral, Florida
Sonali BRONZE, Doral, Florida

So much to do! Jhene remarked. The guest will be here any minute. My life has always been serving others, it brings me joy, but it gets dreadfully tiring, you know? Sometimes I wish I could do something else with my life. When I wasn’t married life was full of so many opportunities.

*Ding Dong* well there goes the bell, she mumbled. “I hear you, I’m coming!” she tried to say in the most genuine way possible. As Jhene opened the door, she saw someone she didn't recognize.
Hello?
I’m here to make your dreams come true!
I’m afraid I don’t know you, and I have guest coming over so you must leave.
I cannot leave, I’m here to give you the life you’ve dreamed of!
Excuse me?
Goodbye!”
Well that was awfully strange.

Jhene turned around to attend the kitchen, and she suddenly realized she was in a very unfamiliar place. Where am I? She thought aloud.
She searched frantically until she saw “Michigan University”
University, she laughed, “I remember being so young and not knowing what to major in”
Well now you're older, you can decide! The figure appeared next to her.
Jhene stuttered, but my husband, my kids, my financial state…..
All taken care of, choose any major you want to do!
But what about the guest?
Forget about them, just go do what you're passionate about dear.

Jhene took the situation for what it was and wandered around. This wasn’t a regular college, outside of every major there was a large peephole. She looked through the first one titled “medical” She saw herself as Nurse Jhene, a full time neonatal nurse, holding a newborn baby. Wow, she thought. She looked so happy as a nurse, so attached to this new creature that had just entered the world. After holding it for a bit, a frantic mother walked in and asked if she could retrieve her baby. Nurse Jhene replied, yes! It’s all well, no complications. She hesitantly handed the baby back to the mother, and though the mother looked as happy as could be, Nurse Jhene wasn’t. She looked unhappy in fact empty.. Jhene soon remembered that she had attachment issues, she grew attached way too quickly, and she longed for her own family, her own children, but with the hours she worked it would be impossible to even think of starting a family. Jhene looked out of the peep hole and shuddered. Well that’s one scenario, what about……

Jhene walked towards the next peephole, listed Music. Jhene saw herself as Jhene the composer. Writing intricate pieces of music. Jhene liked this idea, but she noticed that after every piece she wrote she looked angry. She ended up tearing it up, because she would always compare it to other pieces of work, such as Beethoven and Mozart. The composer Jhene was never satisfied with her work. Jhene realized that she indeed had the habit of being too critical, and she indeed was a perfectionist. A job like this would only lead to insanity, she left the peephole and searched for another.
Jhene didn’t just go to the next peephole she found. She disregarded educational, sports, and the marines because knew for a fact she wasn’t passionate about either of these. She finally found media. Well I always loved being in the spotlight, let’s give this one a try. Jhene looked inside the peephole and saw Supermodel Jhene in designer Roberto Cavali’s maxi dress. She looked at herself from every angle in the mirror and thought wow, I’m beautiful. Soon I’ll be walking the aisle in this custom made dress. When all of a sudden the manager comes in and says in a foreign accent “change of plans, a higher executive will be wearing this dress, for you we have this” Supermodel Jhene looked at the dress in front of her and almost cried. It had no shape, no detail, nothing a plain dusky brown dress. Supermodel Jhene nodded subserviently, and took the dress. Hurry up dear, you're on in 5. As the manager slammed the door, Supermodel Jhene’s eyes were filled with tears.
NO, NO, NO. I hate unpredictability and this industry is based off this! She moved herself from the peephole, sat down, and began to cry. The figure appeared next to her.
“Jhene, I put you through this to realize that the life you have right now is the life made especially for you/ Your talents shine in what you do now. You have attachment issues, that’s why you have loving family that’s always going to be there for you. You’re a perfectionist that’s why your job is to take care of your surroundings, making them feel good! You hate unpredictability that’s why I’ve given you a job that’s as predictable as possible. Every task you perform in your life right now, is made especially for you. No one can do the job quite like you. It’s predestined, and that’s why you have the life you have, understand?
Yes! I definitely do, can I have my old life back? As long as you promise me you’ve understood that your job in life, may seem insignificant, but it’s what fits you best and more importantly what you do best. I understand completely, Jhene responded.

Moral: The jobs you are given in our lifetime may seem insignificant to you, but they aren’t. Every task you are given, is given to you with the knowledge that you, and only you are able to complete it.