The New Heroes (Part 9) | Teen Ink

The New Heroes (Part 9)

By SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma

How's it goin bro?

Alex
Alex groaned as she sat up. She looked around. There were two rows of beds, with a nightstand next to each. It’s the Avenger’s infirmary, she realized. Worst. Migraine. Ever. She rubbed her temples in pain. Then she remembered why she had one. “Ed! Are you there?” She thought the words as loudly as she could. “Who’s there? Alex?” he asked. She nodded, and then remembered he couldn’t see that. “Yeah,” she thought. “How…are you doing this?” “We have these chips in our brains,” she told him. “Well, I know that much. How are the chips doing this?” She didn’t bother asking how he knew. He was, after all, as smart as she is.
“They transmit our thoughts to each other. I think they were made for missions we would have gone on. Oh, guess what.” Ed was silent for a few minutes. “You found a cure for cancer?” She laughed. “No. But we did something almost as good. We caught the Ringmaster.” His thoughts were silent for what seemed like the longest time. “So that’s what Zemo meant…” he trailed. Alex was confused now. “What do you mean?” “Zemo was going on about how she’s a failure.” “Is he that guy dressed in all purple?” “Yeah.” “I gotta go tell the others about this.” With that, she ran towards the dining hall where they usually played poker. “I can hear him,” she said bursting into the room. They all turned to look at her. “Princess finally woke up,” Logan said. “Ha ha,” she said sarcastically. “Fold,” said Fist. Ben rubbed his nose with his thumb and grinned. “All in,” he said. Alex couldn’t believe this. Didn’t they at least want to know what she meant? Then all of a sudden, Ben flipped the table over. All of the cards and poker chips went flying, but everyone seemed to be unfazed. It was like it was normal to just go around flipping tables. “What the Hell?” she asked. “Relax, baby.” She whirled around to find Tony. “Wait-what?” He grabbed her butt, which seemed bigger than normal. Behind her, Spider-Man morphed into an actual spider. His legs were hairy, and his fangs were huge, they were dripping acid. She watched as Wolverine changed to. He grew hairier and smell of his cigars grew stronger. “Come on, Bub,” he said. “Let’s dance. When he said that, Ben crumpled to dust and blew away in the breeze, but there wasn’t even a draft, or open window. The mutated Wolverine and Spidey lunged for her as Tony held her down. Her screams were drowned out by their laughter. And as Wolverine sunk his claws into her stomach, and Spidey bit her neck with his fangs, she started to cry.
Steve
Alex wouldn’t stop screaming, and he could see Tony getting seriously worried. “It’s a nightmare,” he explained. “How long has she been asleep?” Tony looked at him while fiddling with the string on his sweat pants. “A few days. I’ve never seen her like this, it scares me, almost.” Steve could see where he was coming from. He was worried too. They watched as she thrashed around, moaning and screaming.”I’ll be back in a few minutes,” Tony said. When the door shut behind him, Steve put his hand on her forehead. It was burning. He wiped her sweat off his hand. All of a sudden, she just stopped. Everything was silent except for her harsh breathing. He pulled up a chair and sat next to her bed. How could they not have thought about the consequences?
Ed
“Get up!” Zemo yelled, kicking Ed in the ribs. He coughed and wheezed as was beat half to death-again. Two guys put him in the restraints on the wall as Zemo unsheathed is sword. He put it up to his throat, but he couldn’t hear what he was trying to say. All he heard was Alex screaming in pain, and a giant spider and some other giant furry thing tearing her insides to shreds. He started to shiver uncontrollably as Zemo made more slashes in his stomach. He didn’t scream, or cry out in pain. He was used to it now. There were no more types of torture he could do to him. To be honest, he was tired of it all.
Alex
She woke with a start. Jane had been leaning over her with a tiny flashlight holding her eye open, so when she woke up, she sort of jumped, and accidentally head-butted her. She fell back on the bed, clutching her forehead. “What the hell?” she groaned. “Nobody ever wins with a head butt.”When she sat up she felt dizzy. Because of her stubborn self, she also tried walking. She stumbled because of the dizziness, but caught herself before Jane could help her. “I’m fine…” Jane and Alex were the only ones in the infirmary, and Jane usually went with what her stubborn super powered friends.
She had a really bad migraine, and wondered how long she had been out. On an impulse, she lifted up her shirt so she could see her stomach. There was no blood or anything that her dream had forced her to endure. Alex rubbed the tiredness out of her face and sighed. “How do you feel?” Jane asked. “Fine…ish.” Jane nodded and Alex left. That was the worst, she thought.
Ed
Ed sat up abruptly. Is that…Alex? He heard her voice in her head. What had been the worse, he wondered.
Alex
Alex decided to skip the whole ‘Oh I’m glad you’re okay’ stuff and headed straight down to the Assembly Hall. That room was where the most high-tech computers were. Other than S.H.I.E.L.D. of course. Come on, she thought. Where are you ED? She could barely hear it, but it was definitely Ed. Germany…castle…”, is what Ed had thought to her. “Ed,” she thought. “We’ll get you out of there; just hang on a little longer, okay?”
“Yeah, but I have this killer headache…how are you doing this?”
“We have these microchips in our brains that transmit thoughts to each other.”
“Figures.” She laughed out loud. It felt really good to hear from him again.
Alex looked up castles in Germany that were still standing, and came up with few results. After a few minutes of this, Steve walked in. “Hey,” he said. “Hi,” Alex said without looking at him. “What’s this?”
“A castle. We’re going against someone who calls himself ‘Baron.’ Plus, he had a castle during WW II right? Anyway, Ed told me he’s being holed up in a castle in Germany. Luckily, there are very few castles in Germany, which narrows down the search. Since you know the location of the castle he used then, we can plan our strategy.” He looked at her quizzically. “How are you in contact with him?” she pointed to her head and said, “Microchip.”
Steve
He wanted to tell her how much they were all worrying, how much she had scared them. He thought better of it. She has enough on her plate as it is. He also saw why she and Tony took such risks. “Ugh,” Alex said rubbing her temples. “What’s wrong?”
“I can barely see straight with this migraine I have.” Wolverine was right. These two kids have been through thick and thicker because their lives were a forced Hell. They do deserve at least some happiness. Alex started to mutter something under her breath. He looked at the giant holographic computer screen and saw the different castles. “That one,” he said pointing to the fourth picture. She nodded and clicked on it. Then she went to do the Google Street View, and there were Hydra littering the outside. There were also satellite images of them dragging Ed in. Alex seethed in anger and walked away. “Show the others.”
Ed
He didn’t know why, but he felt unimaginable anger and hate. He started to put force on his restraints, making the titanium-steel alloy bend. Of course they wouldn’t break, and he knew that. He just wanted them to bend enough to where he could get his hands and feet loose. “So, I take it you are tired of this little game? I’ve wanted this to happen the entire time. You are the key to beating them.” Zemo held his head high in victory. Ed slipped through the restrains, over powering the collar they made him wear. He lunged at Zemo with all the hate he could muster. Why am I doing this? He asked himself. I’ve always been beaten, so why is this any different? He might have had unimaginable hate in him, but he was still weak. Not only that, but Zemo was also really skilled. He managed to get in about three punches and a kick before he was taken down. Of course it wasn’t just Zemo. He also had Hydra helping him. Ed groaned as they put him back in his liquid chamber. Damn it…the only thing I can do is help the bad guy. I never wanted this.
Alex
Alex was hand picking the team for the rescue mission. I’m so sorry, Ed.
Don’t be. He replied.
It would be mostly stealth, so it was obvious to choose Cap and the Invisible Woman. For tech, there was Iron Man. Strategy was Mr. Fantastic. The muscle was Iron Fist, Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Luke. The part playing the pissed of family member was Alex. “We’re comin’ for you, bro,” she said to herself.