The New Heroes (Part 6) | Teen Ink

The New Heroes (Part 6)

December 6, 2013
By SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
How's it goin bro?


Rikers
A few days in this place would drive anybody crazy, Alex thought. It's full of morons. She got the lovely cellmates known as Hammerhead, Tombstone, and some old guy who goes by the Vulture. When she woke up on her first day, Tombstone had been standing over her with a knife in his hand. Needless to say, that didn't end well on his side.
She was always quiet all day long, so everyone assumed she was a guy. It was the way she walked, ate, her name; basically anything she did made them believe she was a guy. Some of the women in here, however, saw through it. Apparently, according to one of them, she had grown a little bit of chest. She didn't care either way, as long as they left her alone.
During her ninth day, one of the guards clanged on the door. "Gift for Alex Howlett," he said. "Oh, goody," she said. "Thanks." Hammerhead looked confused. "Why would anybody give you a gift? You're the guy who shot up a school," he said. She was irritated now. "I didn't do that. And you're to stupid to realize i'm a girl, so you can stuff it." Tombstone started laughing, and pointed at Hammerhead. "The chick's got a point, man."
What happened next was the most unexpected thing that had ever happened. When she opened the lid, everything blew up.

Cap couldn't find Alex anywhere, and was getting worried. The rubble would take weeks, maybe months to search. Some of the X-Men were showing up now, including Emma Frost, Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, and Storm, who was making it rain to put out the rest of the fires. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were guarding the perimeter of Rikers Island so none of the convicts got away. Almost all of them had broken bones, or just scratches and bruises. Others were found dead from being crushed. The sight made his stomach lurch. "CAP! OVER HERE!" Yelled Cyclops. He broke into a run. "Is it her?" he asked anxiously?" "I believe so," Frost said. "She has finally regained consciousness, somewhat." He nodded a thanks, and started to try to lift the giant rock off of his companion. He heard groaning, and the rock became lighter. She was pushing it from her side, he realized. They finally got the slab of rock off, and Alex went into a fit of coughs. Thee was some wrapping paper around her. "It was... triggered..." she croaked. She tried sitting up, and that's when Cap noticed that something was missing. "Oh my God," said Cyclops. "What's everyone crowded around for..." Spidey said, walking over. His sentence was lost in the wind as Cap lifted his fallen friend into his arms. He carried her back to the Helicarrier with his head hanging low.

Masters of Evil's Secret Base-Germany
Ed was gasping for air by the time Baron Zemo was finished with him. In all truth, he had accidentally lied to Cap that day, saying he AND Alex were able to switch from animal to animal. He always forgot that her cells were unstable for that. They might be twins, but she was the original version.
He tore off what was left of his shirt to make make-shift bandages for his new scars. He grabbed at his throat, remembering the collar they had put on him. Zemo said it was supposed to take away his abilities. Whatever genius invented these things sure went all out. His normal strength was gone, so he couldn't even stand. Not without using a wall, anyway. But his main concern was Alex. There is no way she would be doing good. Not after what happened at Midtown.
He shuddered. That was not one of his favorite subjects to think about. He had been friends with some of the people who had...Nevermind. Can't think about that, he told himself. Ringmaster was laughing. "Success!" she yelled. "Now for phase three." The Baron cocked his head to the side. "You have an odd thirst for blood. I would be lying if I said I didn't love it." Ed saw the way she beamed at...whatever that was. It made him sick. With a wave of Zemos hand, a horde of Hydra was taking Ed back to the Sleeper. He was ashamed because he couldn't fight. He had absolutely no strength left. He just hoped his sister was having a better time.

Helicarrier Medical Ward
There were bandages on her stub where her left arm used to be. Every few hours, they were changed, but she payed no attention to them. Not only had people, innocent or not, had lost there lives, but she had also lost her arm. She was trying to tie the strings on her new set of hospital pajamas. She got out of bed and bent down to use her teeth. "You know, it's okay to ask for help every once in a while." She looked up, and saw Steve with his mask off. Her ear twitched as she straightened up. He knelt down on one knee to tie it. He must have noticed her fist shaking, because he asked, "Are you okay, Alex?" He was standing up straight now. "Of course not. Have you ever...felt like you finally had something good...and it blows up in your face?" He sat down on the bed with her. "Of course I have. And that probably isn't the right choice of words right now." Alex sighed. "I heard I was being transferred to a new room..." she trailed off. He nodded. "It's a room with a bed and a toilet, and has no windows. You'll probably adjust quickly, given what you grew up in." They were silent for the longest time. "Yeah..." He smiled at her. "Would you give me the honor of escorting you?"
When they got there, she heard a whirring sound. Steve started talking, but Alex couldn't hear him. "What? I can't hear you, all I hear is a ringing sound." She couldn't hear what she was saying. She went on full alert. She ignored her hearing and focused on scent. "Is it just sky behind that wall?" she asked. He nodded. "Go. Now!" As they headed for the door, something exploded on the other side of the wall. The smoke cleared quickly with the giant gaping hole in the wall. The bed and toilet flew out. Alex and Steve, who had his mask back on, would have gone to if they hadn't grabbed on to the door. There, in another freaking helicopter, was the Ringmaster and some guy dressed in all purple. Her hearing had returned, which was right on time. "Baron Zemo and...the Ringmaster?..." She nodded. This was going to be a treat.