The Call that Changed Everything | Teen Ink

The Call that Changed Everything

By Austyn Seitz BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Austyn Seitz BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

As I was scanning through my phone looking at the pictures from the concert from the night before, my face broke out in a grin. The midnight memories me and my friend Micaela experienced will never be forgotten. Seeing the pictures we took together when we first arrived at the arena and when the concert first started brought instant tears to my eyes coming to the realization that I already miss it. My heart started beating faster when I saw the picture of Niall during Little Things, playing his guitar during his solo and a bright smile on his face from everyone cheering for him. As I kept scrolling, I pull up a picture of Harry pointing to me while singing one of his solos. My heart just stopped beating at that moment realizing that Niall, Liam, Harry, Louis, and Zayn were my idols, and they were what made my heart light up every time I saw them. I started laughing out of control when I saw the picture me and Micaela took while eating DOTS, we had spoons hanging off of our noses. I immediately posted the picture to Instagram. As every other teenager, I waited to see how many likes I could get on the picture. My mother called me downstairs to let me know that my family was coming over later. “Family is coming over tonight so you need to get yourself upstairs and clean your messy room”, my mother told me. When I went back upstairs I looked through my notifications and had 300 likes on my recently posted picture. There was one particular comment that stood out to me though. It read “How do you do that with the spoons?” from Niall himself. I let out a scream and was so excited that he actually knew I existed. I replied back with “It’s very complicated, I will have to show you sometime ;)” realizing that I just flirted with Niall. My heart exploded with happiness. I knew that he probably would not respond; that he was just being nice. Inside though, I was hoping that he would keep responding to me. After an hour or so, there was still no response on Instagram. As I continued to clean my room, my phone buzzed with a notification. I stopped breathing for a second when my eyes saw it was a reply from Niall. “What’s your Facetime so you can show me how to do that?” it read. I dropped my phone I was in so much shock. The Niall from One Direction was asking me for my number. Of course I replied with my number and not long after that he replied saying he would call me later that night. I was jumping up and down with so much excitement, but also expecting that since he was such a huge superstar he probably wouldn’t call. I am just a fan, no big celebrity, why would he want to call me? I just kept asking myself this question. As I waited, I went downstairs, with my phone to ensure I wouldn’t miss the call, and helped my mom carry in groceries. “Now, I know you aren’t fond of your family, but don’t stay up in your room the whole night on your phone,” my mother told me as I was carrying groceries inside. About that time, my phone started ringing. An unknown number started flashing on my screen, so of course I answered it. I ran upstairs leaving my mom with the mess to clean up. I didn’t care; this was a one in a lifetime chance to talk to Niall. I answered the call and Niall’s face popped up on my screen. “Is this the girl that is supposed to teach me how to hang a spoon from my nose?” asked Niall. I laughed and nodded. “Well, let’s get started, I have my spoon,” I said. He pulled out his spoon beside him and showed it off. “Oh be careful, Niall is a spoon modeler,” I said laughing. He joined with me laughing. I went downstairs and got myself a spoon. I went back upstairs and set my phone on the headboard sitting in front of the phone, Niall doing the same. “Now, put the spoon in your mouth and breathe on it. Then find a spot on your nose that the spoon will stick to. You might have to try a couple of times, but once it sticks, it’s there.” I demonstrated for him what to do as he watched carefully to know how to do it. Once it stuck to my nose, his eyes lit up in awe. He tried multiple times failing, and getting frustrated. He tried once more and succeeded. He was so proud of himself. “Make a funny face, I want a screenshot of this,” Niall told me. We both crossed our eyes and stuck our tongues out. Once we took the picture, we laughed till the spoons fell off of our noses. My smile faded as soon as I realized that this was the end. He figured out how to do it and will never want to talk to me again. “What’s wrong?” Niall asked me. I replied “nothing.” “Well I will call you after the show tonight, if that’s alright.” Niall told me. “But I thought you just wanted to learn the trick,” I asked, confused on why he wants to call me again. “I did learn it, but I really like you, you are fun to talk to,” he replied. I let him know I would talk to him after the concert and reminded him to show off his new talent to the rest of the guys. We both laughed and said our goodbyes. When I looked at the screenshot, a smile crept onto my face and I knew it would last. Well, I thought. Right then and there, the doorbell rang and I knew my family was here. That just ruined the perfect moment. A couple of hours later, Niall called again and my mom allowed me to go answer it. I asked him what the boys’ reactions were to the trick. “They were amazed and wanted to know right away how to do it, but I wouldn’t show them because it was our thing,” Niall answered. I blushed knowing that he thought of it as our own “thing”. I lost the smile on my face remembering that he just wanted to know how to do the spoon trick. He asked me what was wrong. I asked, “Why did you comment on my picture when there are millions of other girls out there?” He replied with a simple, “I told you, I wanted to learn how to do the trick.” My point was proven, that was all he wanted to know how to do. Why didn’t he just look it up on the internet on how to do it, instead of making me feel special just for that? He could tell something was up. “I know that it may seem like I was only trying to use you just to know how to do that trick and I really didn’t want to get to know you. That’s not it though. Truth be told, I saw that picture and went through all of your pictures. I wouldn’t have asked for your number if that’s all I wanted to know. I wanted to get to know you because you seem like a fun person to talk to and get to know. You are also drop dead gorgeous.” I blushed so hard after he said that. “Thanks, Ni.” Did I just give him a nickname? He scratched his head and blushed. “What?” I asked him. “Nothing, it’s just that you called me Ni, I like that name.” He let me know he was just a phone call away and to call whenever I wanted. We both said our goodbyes and went to bed. This continued on for months. One day, my brother and I decided to go out and spend time with each other. Niall called while I was with him, but I let him know that I we were having a day out. I didn’t let him know that it was my brother, so he thought it was my boyfriend, and tried to not show his jealousy. I laughed knowing he was jealous, but it was cute. “That’s my brother, but don’t worry. It’s cute that you’re jealous,” I assured him. When I let him know what we were doing that day, it ended up that we were in the same city. Niall, my brother and I hung out for the rest of the day. He gave us backstage passed for the concert later that night, and we arrived at the arena two hours later. When I walked backstage, the next thing I know, I’m being tackled in a big hug from the one and only Niall. I had an award-winning smile on my face, knowing that he was glad for me to be there. We both turned red as a tomato realizing we were falling heads over heels for each other. He was able to get me front row middle seat tickets for the concert. Before singing one of the songs, he dedicated the song to me. The girl next to me got really jealous and started calling me ugly names. She started saying that Niall would never want to hang out with me, he just feels bad for me. This brought instant tears to my eyes, and I ran backstage to my brother. After the concert, Niall ran backstage looking for me hearing that I was crying. Once he found out what happened, he went back onstage and called out the seat number of the girl who was ugly towards me and told her off. “There is no reason to be ugly towards her. She’s insecure about herself, which is why I dedicated the song to her. You yelling at her and insulting her didn’t help the situation at all. You should feel ashamed of yourself,” Niall told the girl. My brother and I headed to a hotel to stay overnight, knowing it was a long drive back home. When we arrived at the hotel, One Direction was staying at the same place. Niall and I went to get snacks from the refreshment counter. When we got to our separate rooms, he got really sarcastic and started being mean to me. He may have been joking around, but he reminded me of my abusive ex-boyfriend. I left right away the next morning. For the next couple of weeks, I ignored all of Niall’s texts and calls asking what was wrong and what he did. I didn’t want to talk to someone who would make fun of me. I woke up that morning and went to school like I did every other boring day. After school, I tried to push through all the people crowding the exit so I could get to my car. When I finally was able to get out, I see standing right there in front of me Niall with a bouquet of flowers in front of the school waiting for me. My smile faded as I remembered the way he treated me. “I brought you these,” as he handed me the flowers. I had no clue how he found me. “How did you find me?” “I texted your brother,” he replied. I now mentally hate my brother for telling him that. Niall apologized to me in front of everyone at school watching us. “I am so sorry for what I did. I should have never acted that way and I am truly sorry. Forgive me?” I accepted his apology. After a couple of months of getting to know each other he asked me to be his girlfriend. That was the best day of my life, considering the past few months my family has turned against me and now hates me. My brother is the only family I have that still loves me. Niall had to leave for the Take Me Home tour for about 6 months. That was the worst, not being able to see him at all. It seemed like forever. We did occasionally Skype each other to say hey and catch up on what’s happening. The tour ended in November and Niall went home to see his family over Thanksgiving. Right before Christmas though, my brother, Niall, the rest of the guys in One Direction and I got together for a get together party and Secret Santa gift exchange. At the end of the party, Niall played a movie of all of us the past 3 years; the friendships we made, first concert together, tour moments and us. At the end, he got down in front of me and asked the best question that every girl is waiting to be asked. “I am so glad I commented on your Instagram picture that first day we talked, and then getting to know you was the best. I knew the first time I laid eyes on you that you were the one for me. These two and a half years have been the best with you. Will you please do me the honor and marry me; to spend the rest of our lives together happily please?” I started bawling with happiness. “Yes! Yes, I would love to! I love you so much!” I told Niall. “I love you too, my sweetheart!” We got married after two years when One Direction was over and spent the rest of our lives happily together.

Fanfiction/romance story