My Turn to be the Hero | Teen Ink

My Turn to be the Hero

By cityofglasshearts BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
cityofglasshearts BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

"Being fearless ins't the point; that's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear and how to be free from it." -Divergent, Four

su?per?he?ro
noun
-a benevolent fictional character with superhuman powers,
such as Superman.
???

That’s society’s definition of a superhero. Someone with superhuman/supernatural powers, completely fictional. Non-existent. Nada. None. Zero.

Shadowhunters are superheroes. They have supernatural powers, you know, being half-human, half-angel; beings of immense power, strong enough to save the world. And they do save the world, from the demons.

I guess in a way, I’m a Shadowhunter. I’m not exceptionally strong, and I’m not half-angel, but I save the world… sort of.

I save her world. I save her, from the demons inside. The voices in her head. The people that tell her she’s not good enough. The bullies. I save her from herself. I save her and keep her away from the shadows, the real world. I whisk her away from reality, away from the hands reaching to take her away and suck her into depression.

I save her from reality, threatening to break through the walls I fought so hard to keep from falling, from crumbling to the ground.

And ‘her’ is me. I save myself from the demons inside. I fight the voices in my head. Sometimes, I’m not strong enough to stay standing. And I fall. I stumble. Sometimes, I let people in. I let my walls fall. Then, I realize my mistake and build them back up.

Sometimes, though, I do wish I could save someone else, have someone else by my side. And that’s what I plan to do. I plan to save someone from their demons. I want battle scars, not from my fight, but from fighting alongside someone else. So shove over, Shadowhunters.

It’s my turn to be the hero.

This is a set piece about saving someone and being a "hero". It was inspired by the Mortal Instruments series.