Forever and Always(A Hunger Game Fan Fiction) | Teen Ink

Forever and Always(A Hunger Game Fan Fiction)

By mitaK BRONZE, Pleasanton, California
mitaK BRONZE, Pleasanton, California

I can't here you over that loud attitude

“Katniss, I understand you are with Peeta. I understand you are in love with him. No Katniss, Look at me.” Gale said as he placed his hand on chin and glided it upward, forcing our eyes to meet. “But never forget what we had. Because no matter with who you are, who you love, my heart will always be with you. Forever and always.”
I could not help but be allured by his chocolate brown eyes. His fingers intertwined with mine as he leant forward.

“Forever and Always.” He whispered in my ear as our cheeks touched. Even though Gale and I were over at all costs-our friendship, our relations- his voice always seemed to transport me somewhere. Somewhere magical. Somewhere only we knew.

I stood there petrified, only to realize that Gale had left. My feet failed to move and I’m sure I felt my heart cease.

Gale. My Gale. He was gone.
Tears involuntary sprung out, and I soon realized I had no control over the water that spilled out of my eyes. I collapsed on my knees and my hands clutched my stomach. What had come of my life? Prim, my house, my friends, Gale. I had nothing. The pressure increased with each thought, and I couldn’t take it anymore.

“No! NO!” I spit out. I was tired of being “The Girl on Fire.” Yes, I promised myself I would be strong. Yes, I convinced my self one-day I would get out of this condemned world. But that was when I still had Gale. When I still had Prim. Prim.
The tears once again began pouring out, and this time it was a storm. With each tear came each emotion. All the sadness, pain, worries left my body one by one. It was gone. I wiped my tears and rubbed my nose on my sleeves, getting rid of my last sniffles.

“You done now?” A deep voice questioned. A voice I knew too well. I looked up into Peeta’s icy blue eyes, and all the worry and anguish left. I then remembered why I choose Peeta- his smile, his personality- they all surpassed anything Gale had had.

“Yeah. Yeah thanks.” I replied as he took my hand. My feet dragged through all the muck, and it was a bit hard to regain my balance since the previous crying session had left me all broken.

“We’ll be at the hall soon enough. The people want to decide whom to be the next ruler of Panem. If you ask me, I think it’s going to be Paylor. He was always liked by everyone.” Peeta explained, but obviously it was an attempt to spark a conversation.

“Who isn’t fascinated with Paylor?” I questioned.

“Idiots.” He mumbled. I looked at him and started laughing. I actually laughed. For the first time in weeks, I felt as if I had weight lifted off my chest. It was a nice feeling compared to the constant sorrow that always latched onto my heart.
Before I knew it, we had arrived at the “13 Hall”, the newly constructed building in recognition for all the 13 districts that had once been alive. It was here we would decide the new ruler for Panem.
The Hall was filled with barely any people- many were back home still drowning in their misfortune. Glisten, the women appointed to organize the choosing of the leader, stood up on stage, flattening down the riffles on her cheetah print skirt. She tapped the microphone and began to speak.

“Hello citizens of Panem! Welcome to the new annual choosing of the President! From here on, we will appoint a new leader every 6 years, as part of our reconstruction plans! And now for the new president-drum roll please- the newly appointed President of Panem is President Paylor!”
Cheers erupted from the ten people that were seated. Peeta leaned in and for a second I thought he was going to peck me on my check. His breath smelled like spearmint, and I whiffed as much of the delightful aroma I could without creeping out anyone.

“I told you so,” He whispered, and embraced me in a light hug.
And so the story goes on. Peeta and I got married soon after, in a wedding down in the forests of the once District 12. We lived and are living happily together, with currently 2 kids of our own. And not only do we have a house filled with food and other privileges, but we have a whole city. President Paylor made a new plan to unify the districts, and boy did he do a good job at that. On top of that, soon after he was appointed, the technology industries boomed here in Panem, and our economy is better than it has ever been.
Even though I am living happily now, I cannot lie and say that the war hasn’t scarred me, since it has. I still do miss Prim, and whenever I think of her the hole in my heart just deepens. And Gale. It has been forever since I talked with Gale. Though I swear I saw him stop by at my wedding, but when I tried to look closer the flash of brown hair was gone. I had tried mailing him afterward, if I only knew where he was that is. After all, he was my best friend. A relationship like that- even after 4 years, I find it hard to forget. I can only hope that he is out there somewhere- with a wife, a family. I hope that he has a job, and a big house filled with food and furniture. By any chance, Gale, if you’re reading this, know that I forgive you. Know that you are still my best friend. Gale- I will never forget you. Forever and Always.

It's a pretty short piece, was bored so wrote something short and sweet. Good? Bad? Any reviews are nice please!

mitaK BRONZE said...
mitaK BRONZE, Pleasanton, California

ah thank you!! Means a lot!

Alabian GOLD said...
Alabian GOLD, Limbo, Other

"If you can fly, don't stop at the sky cause there are footprints on the moon" - Owl City

I love the Hunger Games and this fits in well with it! I like your writing style and how you cleverly wrapped things up. You even kept the people in character, which is a hard thing to do. 5/5 stars! Good job!

SpottyLepard said...
on Aug. 17 2013 at 10:03 am
SpottyLepard, Concord, North Carolina

"Smooth seas do not make strong sailors." -Old Nigerian Proverb

I felt the same way after reading Mockingjay, there was just so much the author didn't really tell. It's nice to have it open then I guess, though. That way people can write fanfiction about it, right? haha!

SpottyLepard said...
on Aug. 17 2013 at 10:01 am
SpottyLepard, Concord, North Carolina

I felt the same way after reading Mockingjay, and I really liked the ending you give it in this!

mitaK BRONZE said...
on Aug. 17 2013 at 12:58 am
mitaK BRONZE, Pleasanton, California

Yeah, I felt that mockinjay didn't really have the ending I was hoping for as well. It didn't feel like a proper closure you know? Or maybe it's just me...

SpottyLepard said...
SpottyLepard, Concord, North Carolina

I like that this gives the reader more of an idea of what could have happened to the government in the long term, whereas I always thought there was a gap in Mockingjay concerning that.