My Fighter | Teen Ink

My Fighter

My Fighter

Outside, the day had finally settled to night. With the stars shining above, I was absorbed in memories of the past. Past memories that I hope to never forget. I remember how Liam used to be. He was always a joyful boy with his eyes glinting in the moonlight whenever we used to run along the sandy beaches, and collapse on the ground, having been so exhausted from the energy we exerted. He was a lovely boy, tenacious and hard headed – he never did let fate decipher his future. Rather, he would create his own interpretation. But these memories are only few. It’s amazing how being his friend for the past year has changed me as a person. I tear up at the thought of losing him. We had just found out recently that Liam has stage 4 Lung Cancer. The aches and pains he was dealing with were too much to handle. We knew the end was near. But he wasn’t giving up.
The thing about Liam was that he was a determined fighter. He used to always complain about those who would bluntly quit what they were doing, because they believed they weren’t good enough. He was an exception. And exception to the fact that quitting should never determine your character, but rather lessons to learn from. He was also a beautiful boy, his curly brown locks always made the girls smile and his vibrant green eyes held truth and honesty. But now, the cancer had paled his skin, and his eyes were dull. The effects of the medication and therapy had taken its toll. But – he never gave in. He was my fighter.
“Amanda-” Liam crocked as his throat was clearly dry, “c-can you play me a song?” He was obviously in pain, and I couldn’t bare to see him suffer.
“Of course I can Liam, just let me get my sheet music.” I quickly ran inside to grab the piano music on the wooden table. I sat down on the black piano bench that was near the sliding glass door leading to the patio outside, where Liam was rested. I began to softly play A Thousand Years by Christina Perri. This was our song. The melody flowed from my fingers as I placed as much passion as I could within my own being, and let my emotions roll from me as my fingers cascaded along the keys. Liam began humming the lyrics, not missing a beat. I smiled to myself, knowing I had pleased Liam.

As soon as I finished playing, I got up from my seat and neared Liam, who was smiling up to the sky.
“You can play very well, Amanda. I loved it” He smiled up at me, his toothy grin looking absolutely silly.
“Thank you, Liam. I’m glad you enjoyed it.”
“I always do, Amanda. I always do.” Liam replied quietly, and we soon fell into comfortable silence.
And all the while, Liam’s words echoed in my mind, holding so much gratitude and truth. I was glad I could make him happy by playing a song, and just knowing that I brought some happiness into his difficult life, made me smile to myself. No matter what happens next, he’ll always be my fighter.