Mockingjay - Epilogue - Part 1

After a despairing winter comes a joyful spring that gives life to the bright yellow dandelion that means life instead of destruction. That’s what my mother keeps telling me. But the scars of the snowstorm do not completely disappear and the faint vestiges remain forever. Still, life goes on. She also says that. It is a magnificent sun that rises over District 12, the land of the Mockingjay. It feels very strange to say that, because the mockingjay here is my mother. Mother wanted to paint our house orange. The soft orange of the sunset. But father laughed and said, “Why not let the sun paint our house?” The east and the west walls of our two-storey house were then made of glass. And every morning and evening, the sun and its entourage of golden beams become a part of our family. Every dawn, we would be awakened by the soft golden hue swimming its way into our dreams. So there was no need to set an alarm or no hurry to get ready for school. “Tick tock, the sun’s the clock”, my father says.

I watch myself in the mirror, shrouded in the golden cloak of sunrise. “Primrue!” I hear my mother coming up the stairs. She is clad in grey and her dark hair is tied up into a neat bun on top of her head. My hair is just like hers, except that it hangs loosely down my shoulders and smells like fresh water jasmines. She walks up to me with a subtle smile on her face and fastens a golden mockingjay pin on my chest. She looks up at me and tucks beneath my ear a strand of hair that had fallen into my eye. “You look beautiful”, she whispers. We exchange a little smile. “Your eyes. It’s like a blue sun hovering over an ocean of orange.” She lightly pats my cheek and walks away. I look down at the tiny bird that my mother is known for. It feels strange. I turn around and look into the mirror. I’m wearing one of my mother’s grey dresses. A string of pink pearls adorns my neck. It was a gift from my dad for my sixteenth birthday last month. I look nice.

Downstairs, my brother Cinna looks classy in our dad’s grey suit. “Good morning!” he beams and I watch his dense blond hair bounce as he vigorously waves at me. Only the golden mockingjay pin could compete with his strikingly blond hair that radiated the sunlight in all directions. Our parents sit opposite us, dressed in complementary grey suits with the mockingjays pinned to their chests. “Your mother and I will leave for the Capitol right after the Memorial Ceremony. You kids take care okay?” our father says. “Sure, we will be okay”, I reply. My parents quickly finish their breakfast and in no time, they are at the doorstep. “Love you”, they chorus. “Love you too”, we sing back.

“Aren’t you excited? This is going to be our first visit to the Capitol!” Cinna says exuberantly. Capitol was once the host of the horrible televised battle to death called the Hunger Games. “I’m just a bit nervous… Remember how the cameras keep focusing on Kai, Lehava and Sera?” Kai is Aunt Annie’s son. He is natural in front of the camera. He smiles and waves and smiles again and people just love him and his deep green eyes. Lehava and Sera are Uncle Gale’s daughters. They handle the cameras pretty well too. They have been to the Capitol so many times but mother would not let us go. “I know everything is fine now but I’m still scared…” she would tell father and he would nod his head sympathetically. But Cinna has been dying to get a glimpse of the city and was so stubborn to go there this year. It took a long time to convince mother but she eventually agreed.

We finished our breakfast. On the couch, my mother had left us matching thermal jackets. We gently shrug into the thin grey armholes and instantly feel the warmth flooding down our veins, into the bloodstream. We leave the house and step onto the clean white pavement. We look back at our house, mirroring the brilliant sunrise. This sight never fails to enchant us with all its golden glow and rays. The winter was slowly ebbing away and I could see the traces of green peeking through the snow that flanked the white footpath. The streets look impeccable with their white buildings and pristine footpath. Cinna runs ahead and waves at me. I run after him, chasing him into the gorgeous sunrise that has bloomed on the infinite horizon of District 12.

MariaNMai said...
Sept. 11, 2013 at 9:33 am
The epilogue was very beautifully written. When I read Mockingjay I wanted to know more about Katniss’ and Peeta’s children and how their lives would be. It was interesting to have it from their daughter’s point of view but not Katniss’. At that time her daughter is the same age as her parents when they were forced to compete in The Hunger Games. It’s awesome how District 12 is called “The land of the Mockingjay” and that her kids are aware that her moth... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The naming!! Just like in Harry Potter! He named his kids after people he loved. Nice! And it's really nicely written though of course quite different from "Primrue's" perspective than from Katniss'.. Let me know when you post more. I'd surely like to read. :D

WhiteSwan13 said...
Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:33 am
I love the Hunger Games!!!!!

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:50 am
me too!!!!!

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love it! Oh my goodness! She named the kids after Prim and Cinna, that's so awesome! Very creative :) Keep it up!

Thank you :)

Becky12321 said...
omg amaaaziiiinnnnggg!

Thanks :) .

XizzioThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 am
This was a brilliant piece! Everything seemed so tied together, and it was so clever to name her kids after Prim, Rue, and Cinna. Well done! Just a question: Where did you get Gale and Annie's kids names from?

augustsummerflingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Glad you liked it :) I'm planning to write part 2, so do read that too ;) gale has a fiery personality.. You know.. Full of vigor, energy and fire! So I wanted his daughters to be like him n so he gave them names related to fire :) I feel that name means a lot to a character, so I looked up Annie's sons name too! (ocean related)

Hourglass said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:49 am
Its awesome  Go Hunger games fanfic :) :)  Well done awesome ending 

Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:54 am
Thank you :)

FyreSprite said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:13 am
I love the colors in this :D. Only thing I hava slight problem with is you change tenses a bit awkwardly in some parts. Other than that, it's beautiful imagery

Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:44 am
Thank you :) yeah it got awkward after using simple past... I was so tempted to switch back to past tense!

AeneanSidera said...
Awwww yay ! A happy ending haha. This is really well written. I like the names she gives her children.

Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:10 am
Thank you :)

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:42 am
Wow :) This is an amazing epilogue and it should be added to the end of the book! Haha :) I also loved the name Primrue ;) very creative :D aw poor uncle Gale :( he doesn't get Katniss :( I wonder who he ends up with?

Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:45 am
Thank you so much :) I'm planning to write part 2, so you will get to know who gale got together with :)

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:30 am
yay :) when you do, reply to this message so i can read it; i'd like to know ;)

JessesAngel replied...
Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:30 am
this isis interesting to read; keep up the good workwork :)