Why I now Hate Hiking | Teen Ink

Why I now Hate Hiking

October 11, 2012
By Anonymous

Why I Now Hate Hiking

I opened my eyes and all I saw was green. I had no idea where I was, all I knew was that I was hurt and I needed to find my way back to civilization. Yesterday I entered this plush green forest to begin my hiking trip through the Redwoods National Park. I had been walking for many miles before it began to get dark. I knew I should stop and set up camp but I continued to keep on walking. The dark crept up on me more quickly than I had expected and I found myself tripping on things. I thought I would be able to make it through until that one root took me down. It seemed as if the root lunged out and grabbed me taking my feet out from under me. The pain that radiated through my head was unbearable. Everything went black.



I’m not exactly sure how long I’ve been out, my phone is broken from my fall and now I have no way of telling time. I’ve had to have been out for a while because I’m starving. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this hungry. I packed two days’ worth of food in my backpack but I looked over and my food was strewn across the forest floor. I picked up one of the packages hoping I would find something to satisfy my hunger but there nothing. Every single package was empty. I have to find food so I start my hunt for something half way edible but I start to realize it’s going to be harder than I thought.



I start walking forward hoping my search would bring me to food. I’m not sure what food I’m going to find but my search is desperate. I have to find something. I’ve been walking for what seems like forever. My shoes are beginning to rub sores on my feet, I’m exhausted, and I can feel my stomach rumbling inside of me. All I can think is there’s no use, I’m never going to be able to find food in this god forsaken place until out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of sunlight gleaming off a body of water. Around the pond is bushes filled with bright blue berries. Ever muscle in my body aches while I ran as fast as I can. I grab as many berries as I can in both hands and start shoveling them in my mouth. I look down and notice my reflection in the pond, I almost didn’t recognize myself. My long blonde hair is matted and brown from the mud, my pants are torn and grass stained from my fall, and I have a huge gash in my head covered with dry blood. I suddenly realize how disgusting I feel and reach down to rinse my face off with water. I start to cup the water into my hands when I feel a sharp pain radiate up my arm. Out of the corner of my eye I see the water moccasin slither away and realize I’m in a lot of trouble.

As I back away from the water clasping my hand to my chest I try to remember everything I can about first aid and snake bites. I want nothing more than to be home safe and sound. The tears start streaming down my face. My vision begins to get blurry, I thought it was from the tears but as I wipe them away I realize that’s untrue. I don’t feel so well, my hand is burning, my head is throbbing, and I don’t know if I’ll ever see my home and family ever again. I’m beginning to lose my balance and my visions getting worse. I sit down and lean against a tree for support. I cry for help in utter desperation. I know I should fight the urge to close my eyes but I’m so tired. My eyelids feel weighted and I can no longer hold them open.

My eyes begin to flutter open, and my other senses register too. I no longer feel the damp hard ground but instead I feel softness and warmth. An antiseptic smell fills my nose and I hear the squeak of shoes on tile. With effort, I open my eyes completely. I’m greeted by a room full of relieved faces who tell me my own story of how I was rescued by a park ranger who heard my desperate cry for help. As improbable as survival felt in those last moments in the forest somehow I’m here alive and well.