Maximum Ride: The Last Chapter

I stood stiffly, as hot tears leaked out of my eyes. I watched as Ratchet, Kate, and Yasmine were lowered carefully into the ground. A dreary silence hung the air, suffocating us like a thick, white fog. I shed one last tear. I resolved not to cry anymore. I’ve shed enough tears to last a lifetime.
We all took turns saying our final goodbyes. For the first time in as long as I could remember, I saw Fang cry. I then realized just how much they meant to him. He probably felt responsible for them. He tried to talk when it was his turn, but he couldn’t manage to. Then it was my turn to speak.

“Kate, Yasmine, and Ratchet. The saddest thing about all this is that I didn’t know you very well.” I said, remembering Ari’s funeral, and how Fang regretted not knowing him. “I didn’t even like you for most of the time. That was because you were proof that Fang had moved on.” I continue quietly. Fang looks at me with dark, yet understanding eyes. “I realize now that I was stupid. Without you, none of us would be alive. You guys sacrificed yourself to save us, and the rest of the world, whether they deserved it or not. There aren’t words to describe how grateful I am. Yasmine, by detonating that bomb, you may have killed yourself, but you saved the world. Your life was short, but I can tell you were an amazing kid. I’m sorry you died before your time.” I finished sadly, and I stepped back softly.

I looked around at my tear-streaked, bruised, and mangled flock. They were cut, scraped, and bloodied, but I was filled with a fierce gratitude that they were all alive. Life just wasn’t worth living without them.

I smiled at Dylan, who had his arm slung protectively around Maya’s shoulders. I guess he really did end up with “me”. I reached out and hugged Fang, who pulled me into his embrace, and kissed the top of my head.

Nudge lifted her head slowly, and fixed her brown-eyed gaze on mine.

“So what do we do now?” she asked timidly. I thought about it for a second.

“We go back to Colorado. Home.”

Iggy, Angel, Gazzy, Nudge, Fang, Dylan, Star, Holden, and Maya all set their stares on me.

“All of us.” And with that, I ran, and leaped into the air. I snapped my wings out, enjoying the feel of the air on my feathers, and I sped away.

So we could finally just go home.

But of course, my happy peace just had to be interrupted. Like always. I saw a speck flying towards us in the distance, tan wings moving powerfully.

No. It couldn’t be. She…she’s dead! I held the funeral! She died in the explosion with Yasmine and Kate! And she doesn’t have wings! But…there she is…..

It’s Ella.

Flying.

HayBale said...
This is great! I hope you win the contest, because this is really good!

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
Absolutely!

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
I just read both of the stories, and OMG they were Good

StellaDPloom replied...
Thanks! That means a ton! :)

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
Your welcome! be sure to check out my new hunger games fanfiction. I'm not done, but it will be soon. i got the idea off yours, i hope you don't mind... i use dustin and marvel, and emmaline, but i swear thats it, its completely different, its if gale goes to the hunger games instead of peeta.......

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
oh yeah. any body redaing this: don't take my idea. And Stella, you should check out mu friend SoggyWaffles17 she has really good writing, she also goes to my school and writes stories with me sometimes. Although she just a teensy bit better.......

StellaDPloom replied...
It's fine, I don't mind as long as there's some credit in there for Dustin & Emmaline since I wrote them. I'll definitely look at your friend's stories, and you can look for my new one that just got approved, Summer Limerence: Prologue & Chapter One :)

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
h, thnx for letting me use them, ill be sure to give you credit and ill check out your story for sure!

StellaDPloom replied...
No problem! Did you check it out yet? And, in case you didn't see yet, I love One of Them... It's so good!

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
I saw your story, its really good, write more! Thanks for liking my One of Them, the same friend SoggyWaffles17 wrote it with me, I'll haqv emore up soon........ maybe the next five chapters or so, i have them written, I just have to type them.

StellaDPloom replied...
Thanks! I'll be writing as much as I can over the school vacation :)

StellaDPloom replied...
Hey, just thought I'd let you know that my 2nd Hunger Games fanfic has been posted if you wanna read it :)

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
K. Sorry I haven't been on lately, I've had a ton going on. And for sure I will check out your secong HG fanfic, I'm not COMPLETELY crazy.............................................. ...............yet................