Lost in the Darkness | Teen Ink

Lost in the Darkness

By livelaughlove777 BRONZE, Stow, Ohio
livelaughlove777 BRONZE, Stow, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

You were only given this life because you're strong enough to live it.

It was the hardest thing he ever had to do, just walking down that aisle. The world was a blur around him, he could only see the coffin. He heard the crying all around him, but he didn't know who was who. He could barely distinguish his mother’s sobbing in the front. Slowly, he approached the coffin. He couldn't believe this. Him and his brother, though twins, had never been incredibly close, but this still seemed completely unreal.

"Hey bro," he whispered, kneeling down at the coffin. "Why are you here? You shouldn't be in here. It should be me. If you hadn't pushed me out of the way of that curse..." Lorcan bit down hard on his tongue. "Why are you here?" he whispered. "Why?" he felt the tears streaming down his face, but he didn't care. "Why, Lyly? Why you? Why wasn't it me?" Lorcan stood up from beside his brothers coffin, and went to sit by his mother and father. Luna hugged her remaining son tightly, and he let her. He hugged her back, because he wanted to be close to someone too. But it wasn't what he needed. He needed his brother back. Rolf grabbed both his wife in a hug, letting them both cry n his shoulders, while his own tears, though he tried to keep them at bay, fell onto their heads.

*Lorcan and Lysander walked quickly along the path of Knockturn Alley, knowing that they shouldn’t be there. But they were on a mission, one they wouldn’t back down from. They stepped into the shop, filled with the most evil of enchanted items. It made both twins skin craw at the mere sight. *

~~

"Lorcan?" Lily Potter said hesitantly. Lorcan looked up miserably. It had been a month since his brother passed, and Lorcan had, thee most part, been shutting the whole world out. He barely tried in his classes anymore, he didn't eat, and he didn't talk to anyone.

"Lorcan?" Lily said again, nervously. Her red hair fell loosely around her face, and her eyes showed not pity, but understanding and concern. He looked blankly up at her, his blonde hair sticking to his forehead from where he had been pressing it up against the cold window. She seemed to take this as a sign to continue on. "How are you? Wait, that's a stupid question. You don't have to answer that. Umm… do you want anything? Can I do anything for you? I'm sorry, it's just-" she was beginning to ramble. Lorcan held up a hand and gave a pained smile- the most emotion he displayed in a month. She stared, and waited earnestly to see if he would say something.

"Li- Lily" he croaked, his voice hoarse from barely being used in a month, "Sit. Just sit. Please." he looked at her. She nodded silently, and sat beside him, not saying a word. The two of them just sat there, in silence, looking at the rain beating down on the window.
~~

*“Mr. Borgin?” Lysander called softly. A thin, grey, oily haired man stepped into the room.

Hello boys. How may I be of service?” The man’s voice was as oily as his hair. While Lysander told the man what they wanted, Lorcan looked around the shop. He peeked inside a large cabinet to see a skull, with a snake coming out of its mouth. Lorcan knew he had seen the mark before, but he couldn’t remember where. He opened the cabinet, and set out to tap the side of the figure.*

It was the second month since Lysander Scamander had died. Lorcan was beginning to speak more, but only to Lily. Only she could get him to eat, and that was only when there was no one else around, after a lot of persuading.

"Come on Lorcan, eat something please. It's not healthy for you never to eat!" Lily begged him. He silently took a piece of toast, and began to nibble on it. "Thank you." Lily said, obviously relieved.
~~

It was three months past, and Lorcan was beginning to get angry. He was angry at Lysander for leaving him, and he took it out on everyone around him.

"Lorcan, please eat some toast, I know you've been eating more than you were but-" Lily tried to persuade him.

"Just shut up Lily! What the hell do you know? I'll eat whatever, and whenever I damn please!" he snarled at her, and stalked away from the table, ignoring her hurt and confused face.

*“Lorcan, don’t touch that!” Lysander was at his side immediately, the oily-haired man having disappeared into the back of the store. His voice startled Lorcan, whose hand gently brushed the skull. A jet of green light instantly shot out of the mouth, narrowly missing both brothers. The next jet of silver light was headed straight for Lorcan. In one swift motion, Lysander pushed his brother to the ground, collapsing in a heap as the silver light hit him squarely in the chest.*

"Mr. Scamander, I understand you've been through a lot, but you really do need to start applying yourself more. Do you have the latest homework assignment?" Professor Wilkes asked.

"Shut up! No you don't understand! I apply myself just fine! I can do the work just fine, no thanks to your lousy teaching, so no, I don't have the homework!" Wilkes was quick to give him three weeks detention theat.

*“Lysander? Ly!” Lorcan cried, moving to his brother’s side. Lysander coughed, and grimaced at the blood on his sleeve.*

~~

Four months. Four months since Lysander had been killed. Four months since Lorcan watched his brother die for him. Four months. Lorcan had moved past the anger. He was now onto bargaining.
"Please, God, do something. I'll do anything to have my brother back, anything. I'll go back to eating, and talking, and doing my work. I'll help Mum and Dad around the house, and everything! Anything! I'll tutor kids, I'll give something up! I’ll give magic up! I'll do something, I'll do anything you want. Please, just give me back my brother!' He pleaded, tears streaming down his face. "Please" he whispered one last time. There was no answer.
~~

Lorcan was back to the depression-not eating, not doing work, not talking. Just remembering.

*“I’m fine. Let’s go” he said gruffly, pulling his brother out the door. They had just entered Diagon Alley when Lysander began coughing again. He collapsed after only a few feet, landing in front of the cauldron shop. He coughed up more and more blood, and Lorcan couldn’t stop it. He tried, but as able as he was at magic, he could barely hold his wand steady as he watched his brother. Passersby stared at the two young men, but only a few attempted to help, but to no avail. Lysander finally slumped to the ground, unconscious. Lorcan grabbed his brother, begging him to wake up.*

"Lorcan, please, talk to me" Lily pleaded. He didn't even look at her. She huffed, and strode away. Lorcan continued to stare out the window. "Lorcan! Please! Eat, talk, yell, move, do something!" Lily pleaded, tears now running down her face. He didn’t notice she had come back. He just looked wordlessly at her. "Please?" she whispered. He shrugged.

"He's really gone?" he whispered the words.

"Yes. He's gone, and he's not coming back. But think about it Lorcan. If Lysander were here, what would he be telling you to do?" Lily questioned, tears still streaming down her face. Lorcan looked distantly at her, and gave a slight smile.

"He'd ask me why I was moping around, and if I wasn't careful, he'd have to go get a Blithering Humdinger to perk me up." Lorcan told her honestly. She looked slightly confused, but shook it off.

"Exactly. He wouldn't want you moping around, being depressed all the time. He'd want you to get on with your life. Wouldn't he?" Lorcan looked at Lily, with her red Weasley hair flowing around her shoulders, and her chocolate brown eyes sparkling with tears, and smiled.
"You're right. Thank you Lily," he hugged her tightly, not wanting to let go of his rock.

~~

"Well, Lyly, it took me about seven months, but I've finally accepted the fact that you aren't coming back. You don't know how many times I've expected you to come walking in, saying how stupid those nargles are, they made your brain so fuzzy." Lorcan smiled at his brother’s grave, Lily standing slightly behind him, for emotional support, as he called it. "I suppose you're up with Grammy now, Mum's mother, not dads of course. She named the Blithering Humdingers you know. You should ask her about other creatures. I'll bet it's amazing. Though not as amazing as it would be to have you here with me, of course." Lorcan bent low over the grave. "Lily's with me right now." he whispered, so she couldn't hear him. "I'm really starting to like her. I've never noticed it before, but she's really pretty. She's sweet and nice too, she helped me through everything so far. Even when I was completely horrible to her, or unresponsive, she never left me." Lorcan smiled down at his brothers grave. Lily then came up and leaned into him, wrapping her arms around herself in order to block out the chilly October air. Lorcan wrapped an arm around her, and she relaxed lightly into him.

The two teenagers stood there, looking at the grave, arms around each other. The two teenagers stood, without knowing nor caring what was going to happen next, just happy being together for now.

“Ly! Lysander! Please, wake up!” he screamed. But no matter what he did, his brother would not wake.

I wrote this on another site, and got a lot of positive feedback on it, so I'm posting it here. It was for a challenge, and my character was Lorcan, and my genre was Horror/Dark

livelaughlove777 BRONZE, Stow, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Thanks! Actually, I posted it on harrypotterfanfiction.com. :)

ZombieDanceWithMe SILVER, Rockford, Illinois

“To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live”

-Victor Hugo

This. Was. Awesome. Did you happen to post this on fanfiction.com? because there is some good stuff on there. But anyways. It was great!