A Modern Tell Tale Heart | Teen Ink

A Modern Tell Tale Heart

December 30, 2011
By MariD13 BRONZE, Lake Worth, Florida
MariD13 BRONZE, Lake Worth, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Go away," he mumbled as he rocked back in forth on his bed. His thoughts swirled as the evil eye popped into his head. Oh, that old man's eye, how it glistened with evil and disgust. He couldn't even look at it without glancing away most of the time, and the old man always paced the hallways throughout the day. "I-I've got to kill him. It's the only way for the-the evil eye to go away." His whole body shuddered, but he laughed and cackled as he planned the murder. "I am not a maniac," he mumbled under his breath, "Maniacs don't plan murders with care!"
***
Every night, he tiptoed into the dark and muggy room that belonged to the old man. He slowly opened the door a crack, making no noise. The only sound to be heard was the old man's shuddering breath. With his dimming flashlight, he adjusted the light to a low brightness, allowing it to fall exactly in the same spot every night. On the seventh night, he slowly opened the door, but made a fatal mistake. The old door creaked, and he froze. Rustles commenced, and he could hear the breaths of the old man escaping his mouth deep and heavy. He didn't move a single muscle, and when he looked to where the light shone, he saw the evil eye. It pushed him over the edge, and with a single shove of the door and a jump, he reached to conk the old man over the head with the blunt end of his flashlight. One scream echoed throughout the room, and it was over. The air turned cold, and he laughed maniacally. He reached to close the eye, and finally the evil eye was gone.
***
He took the old mans body to his room, where he quickly dismembered it, making sure not to leave a trace of blood in his bath tub. He moved each piece under a different floorboard, and huge smile was pasted on his face. "I am a genius!" was the only thought that could go through his mind. He then heard a knock on his door, and opened it to find the police there. He smiled, and offered them a beer and a place to sit, allowing them to search as necessary. He arranged three chairs, and put his directly over the old mans heart. The officers asked questions about a scream heard by the neighbors, and he just laughed and replied with believable lies. Thump,Thump,Thump. "Hmmm..What is that?" he thought to himself. Thump,Thump,Thump. Louder now. "Was that...No, it couldn't be!" He stood up and began to pace. The officers laughter and words became a blur, a taunting blur. "Shut up,shut up,shut up," he continued to think. THUMP,THUMP,THUMP. "He is dead! How is his heart still beating!" He began to sweat. All he saw was the evil eye, and all he heard was the thump of the old man's heart and the laughter of the officers. "They know... They know! They're trying to drive me crazy!" THUMP,THUMP,THUMP,THUMP. "Villains!" he shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed!-tear up the planks!-here,here!-it is the beating of his hideous heart!"


The author's comments:
This is one of my favorite stories ever, and I thought people might be able to relate to it better if it was told in shorter, simpler words but with all the great details from the actual story.