Another Goddess Born

Prologue

“Lord Hermes! Messenger of the gods! I summon you!” Her voice rang out over the empty land. A supernova as bright as the sun appeared a few feet away, making the starry night as bright as day. The god Hermes, dressed in his white toga and winged sandals, stepped up to greet her.

“Ah, Calypso!” he said. “I wondered when I’d be hearing from you.” She ignored his mocking “hello.”

“I have a package that must be delivered, Hermes,” Calypso said in a hushed voice.

“Obviously, otherwise you wouldn’t have summoned me.” She turned toward the willow tree behind her. The package was wrapped in soft cloth, like a cloud. Calypso picked it up with loving arms and placed it in the hands of Hermes.

“Take good care of my package, Hermes. It must reach its destination safely, unmarred – or else.” Hermes looked at the package, and his heart softened.

“And where might the destination be?” he asked.

“I hate to give it such a fate, but the destination is a place of no family.”

“An orphanage?”

“Yes.”

“Where?”

“The east coast. Anywhere along the east coast. Close to Camp Half-Blood, but far enough away so that she may grow up without being discovered by them or monsters,” she replied.

“But why don’t you let her grow up here, on Ogygia?” Calypso chuckled.

“Dear Hermes, what a terrible fate: to grow up on a mystical island where men mysteriously wash up on shore, then to see her own mother become star-struck with love. And then to have to comfort her for years following because the men she loved could not stay. No, Hermes. To be trapped on this island is alone my fate. I will not share it with anyone else…” Calypso looked away. “However much I long to.”

“Does the package have a name?” Calypso looked at the package with love.

“Alexandra.”

“Alexandra?” Hermes clarified. Calypso nodded.

“Alexandra Pierce.”

MidnightNow1127 said...
I'm not exactly sure why, but when I wrote this, I imagined Calypso having a soft British accent.

AcastilloThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 9:54 pm :
Nice job, you really did a good job at capturing the mood and I love British accents!:) Also, can you look at my poem because it is also about Percy Jackson

MidnightNow1127 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 11:31 am :
Thank you. I love British accents too! And absolutely. What's your poem called?

Oct. 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm :
You can click on my name and it will take you to my profile. On my profile you will see my work and my poem should be there