The Sorting

Mandy Brocklehurst, not a name that popped up in many conversations in the hallways, not the top of her classes, never really mentioned, never really given the spotlight. Except once. The day that she entered Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, she had just as much chance to be important as many other first years. She was about to be sorted. She had always been told about the sorting by her mother, who was a witch that had married a muggle. She knew that she would have her moment in front of everyone, and that she would be in the most prestigious of houses, Gryffindor, just like her entire family before her. The names were read off, Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones, Terry Boot, and then finally, Mandy Brocklehurst. She was going to make herself heard, she was going to be the star at Hogwarts, she was going to be the seeker on the house quidditch team, she was going to be top in her class. Everyone was going to know her name. Mandy Brocklehurst. Her name was called and she sat on the stool, confident that she would be put where she wanted. She had never stopped to think about where the hat would put her. The hat had to consider for a while. “Hmmm, you have brains, but you are also so ambitious, I see you want to be in Gryffindor, but you aren’t very brave. I think that Slytherin would fit you nicely, but you are not quite strong enough to make it there. Hmm, you aren’t quite hard-working enough to be in kind Hufflepuff. It seems that we will have to put you in… RAVENCLAW. Mandy stood, quite deaf to the cheering from her new house. She was so disappointed. All she had ever wanted was to be Gryffindor, brave, honest, and true. Now she was Ravenclaw, and no one ever heard anything spectacular come from the mouth of Mandy Brocklehurst. In the midst of the great Harry Potter, she disappeared into the crowd, just another first year, just another name.

In_Love_with_Writing said...
I never read the Harry Potter series but I liked this. And check out some of my stories! Please rate them, subscribe, or comment if you can. It really means a lot and brings a smile to my face each time. Thank you so much!

rEMEMBERtHErIOTThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like it. i never really thought about the names people put in for fillers so this was really cool to read.

She-who-must-not-be-named replied...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:53 am :
Thank you so much! This is actually one of my favorite pieces.