Doors | Teen Ink

Doors

July 8, 2011
By GeorgexWeasleyxIsxAxSaint BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
GeorgexWeasleyxIsxAxSaint BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” ~Ambrose Redmoon


Jackie had been working at the Jeffersonian as an intern for three weeks when Vincent got shot. In those three weeks, she had heard innumerable random facts come spouting from his mouth, and honestly, she loved every one. Rather than tell him to shut up every two seconds, she implored him to continue once a fact burst through his lips. They often were drowned in philosophical or merely hilarious discussions and were scolded by Dr. Brennan for slacking off. At times they had to be separated in order for any work to be done.

She died inside when she walked into the lab to find Vincent on the floor, in a pool of his own blood, surrounded by Dr. Brennan and Special Agent Booth. They were compressing his chest as she heard Booth telling Vincent to stay with them. Beyond all the racket, she heard his voice, "Please don't make me leave! I want to stay. I love it here!" Jackie stood frozen in shock until her mind wrapped around the situation. He had been shot. Through the heart. He was going to die within seconds.

She remembered a time when he had told her a fact about hearts. "Mammals and birds are the only animals with a four chambered heart; amphibians and reptiles have three chambers, and fish only have two." Just thinking of one simple fact sent a rush of memories to her shock filled mind. She thought of the flutters in her chest every time he talked to her, and the tingles that were sent throughout her skin whenever his skin made contact with hers. She had an epiphany. I love him, was her realization.

"VINCENT!!!" she called out. His eyes flicked in her direction and her brown orbs locked with his. Then his eyes closed halfway, and his chest fell. Jackie's legs flew out from under her, and she fell unconscious.

The next day, she went back to work, despite Dr. Saroyan's dismissal. As she waited for Hodgins to relay the results from the mass-spec, she curled up on the couch, building a wall, brick by brick to prevent herself from loving anyone like she did Vincent.

Through the glass wall, Jackie saw Dr. Sweets walk by with two cups of coffee. Looking around, he finally spotted her on the couch and came in. He stood in front of her, and asked, "Mind if I sit down?" Nodding, Jackie moved over to make room.

He passed her one of the coffee cups and asked if she was alright. Again, another nod from the melancholy female. Then there was an empty silence.

Out of the blue, he asked, "You loved him didn't you?"

"What would make you think--" she then remembered the profession of the young man she was talking to. "Oh." After a long moment of silence consisting of Jackie taking a small sip from the mug, She responded with a quiet affirmation. Then the dams burst, and all the tears she had held back from the moment of his death to present flowed like the second Great Flood.

Silently, Dr. Sweets drew her close and embraced her as she cried into the shoulder of his suit. "Jackie, I know for a fact that he loved you back, but I also know that he wants you to move on. Dwelling on his death will just make it hurt more. You don't have to forget, just don't dwell," the young psychologist spoke into her hair.

Jackie looked up from his slim shoulder and thought, He's right. I guess when one door closes, another one truly does open. Then she graced him with a small smile.
'It might take time, but I think I can recover,' she thought.


The author's comments:
This is a fan fiction based on the television show, Bones. I do not own Bones; all rights belong to their respective owners. If you haven't seen the episode, The Hole in the Heart, then I recommend you go watch it before reading this.