Dark As Night: A Stevie Rae/ Rephaim Fan Fic: Part 1/? | Teen Ink

Dark As Night: A Stevie Rae/ Rephaim Fan Fic: Part 1/?

June 8, 2011
By TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan
TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan
30 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
If I could run away from my problems, I'd probably get lost, and then new problems would find me.
~Shelby Seeley


There was one thing missing. Rephaim took a long look around the musty, cold basement, his eyes resting on the Red One for a long time. She wore his clothes, his shirt that reeked of him. That one red fledgling she had given herself to. Rephaim scoffed. Humans confused him so much. This entire time period confused him so much.
Stevie Rae moved in her sleep, the over large T shirt getting discolored from the dirt on the ground. If she would move just the slightest bit more to the left, Stevie Rae would’ve exposed herself fully in her sleep. Just the smallest twitch of her leg, Rephaim thought dangerously. Or he could just go over there and uncover her for himself. In the deep sleep she was in, Stevie Rae was helpless to the Raven Mocker. She could be all his, every fascinating, gorgeous bit of her. He could take her so easily. She was vulnerable to his power.
No, Rephaim shook himself. That’s who you were. That’s the beast you were. Do not fall into your cravings for her. She would never forgive you. Never. The truth in his own words shook his world, but what hit closer to his heart was knowing how easily he could lose her. Any slight thing he did… anything he did wrong, and she was gone forever. He could never let that happen- she was too important to him now.
Still, something was different about the girl. She had cold bumps forming all over her skin. Stevie Rae was curled into the fetal position, trying to keep warm with just her body heat. Rephaim went over to his nest and very carefully selected two blankets that weren’t as grimy as the rest and laid them atop the Priestess.
He couldn’t believe she was even here, with him. But she wanted to be here, with him. Him, Rephaim, his father’s son, the Raven Mocker.
What did that mean?
Rephaim wish he knew.
Still slightly crouched over her sleeping body, he took her in one last time. Her chest heaved up and down under the blanket. Her entire body was now covered except for her head and one arm. Rephaim lightly placed the pads of his fingers to her skin, brushing down hairs that stood on end as he searched, explored. For what exactly, he wasn’t quite sure.
He trailed his finger ever so slowly down her arm, over all the many cold bumps, until he met her hand. He took it between his two big hands gently, spreading her fingers apart and slipping his into the gaps between them. Stevie Rae shifted a little under her blankets.
"Shhhh," the Raven Mocker found himself cooing to the sleeping girl.
He gently released her tiny hand and trailed his way back up her arm. When he reached her shoulder, he hesitated. how did her arm look so similar to his, yet so different? They were both strong and powerful, made of skin and flesh and bone, and both full of those cold bumps, but... hers was strong in a modest, dainty way that made her unique and beautiful. His was just oozing raw power, and didn't match his ugly, bird-like features. His wasn't unique- he was exactly like his brothers. And his wasn't beautiful, not in any way, shape or form. Plus, his skin was darker than her pale complexion. What did that make him? Was something... was something wrong with his skin?
Rephaim longingly caressed her face now, a deepening sadness melting his heart. What did she see in that other fledgling that made Stevie Rae so willingly give herself up to him? Why him, and not Rephaim?
"Because you're a monster," Rephaim answered himself in the darkness. He sat back on his haunches, pulling himself away from her.
Monster.
Suddenly, something next to Stevie Rae squealed out a long ring, causing Rephaim to fall back and hiss, pulling his wings out for some balance. It wasn't until the horrid rings got done belching out one of Stevie Rae's "songs" did Rephaim realize what it was. He thought she called it her "phone". Definitely not one of Rephaim's favorite modern things.
Stevie Rae stirred a little in her sleep, then went back to her dreams. Rephaim scolded himself for being so ignorant and getting scared, then made his way back to his nest (he'd carefully placed it between the entrance of the door and Stevie Rae, so if anything tried to get her in her sleep, it'd have to go through him first). He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, concentrating on clearing his thoughts from his brain.
Something in the corner of his mind caught his attention, however, and blurred visions of himself filtered through his head. It wasn't long after that he realized the images were from Stevie Rae's dream. He thought deeply of their imprint, settling himself into his nest. The images grew sharper, and emotions came with them.
She was happy when she took care of him; unafraid when his inner beast came out; her heart skipped a beat when he unfurled his wings to show his strength; she was disappointed in him when she found out he'd used Darkness' power to heal himself. Relief shook her world when she found out he was OK after each and every time he was hurt; regret filled her heart when she looked to Dallas; joy when he returned to her both when Darkness was attacking her and when he returned this very same night. Finally, a mingle of emotions when Light took it's price for helping her- Rephaim gasped.
Her device lit up and hollered at her again, breaking his train of thought. He'd lost her dream and couldn't retrieve it. The rest of his day he contented himself with watching her sleep so peacefully, and silently wishing that she would've told him about Light a long, long time before.
Finally, two dozen phone rings later, Stevie Rae's eyes fluttered open.
Stevie Rae
Her phone chirped out it's country melody, and Stevie Rae looked toward it.
"It has been going off all night," Rephaim announced, very annoyed. She picked it up, glanced at it, and changed her mind.
"I don't really care." She put the phone back on mute, then laid back onto the ground. Rephaim sat comfortably in his nest, watching her.
"What is wrong?" The Raven Mocker asked, his eyes searching. Stevie Rae looked deep into those eyes and saw past their red tint. She saw what the black bull had made her see, and wished beyond measure that everybody could see what she saw there.
"For Goodness' sake, Rephaim! Don't do that to me!"
"What did I ever do?" he asked, scoffing. Stevie Rae automatically regret letting that slip between her teeth.
"Nothing," she sighed. "You didn't do a thing. I just.... I dunno. I just dunno. I'm tired and... worried. I'm sorry." He cocked his head to the side.
"What are you worried about?"
"A lot of things," Stevie Rae rubbed her face with her hands. "You, mostly. What are we gonna do now?" Her body shuddered as she collapsed into tears. This was totally unlike her. Stevie Rae wasn't even sure if Rephaim had ever seen her cry before. She'd just gone and ruined everything. She had messed up so, so much.
"No, you have not."
"What?"
"You have not ruined everything," he said, sitting up to look at her. Stevie Rae hadn't noticed she'd been talking out loud.
"I feel like it."
"Do not, then. You have not messed everything up."
"Gee, only most of my life. I feel much better," she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. Rephaim just shook his head.
"There are worse things that could've happened, Stevie Rae. Be thankful." He was right. He truly was, but there were still things that needed to be taken care of.
"But, what are we gonna do?" There was a long moment's silence.
"You know, I've never seen you like this before." Rephaim suddenly said.
"Like what?"
"Scared. Crying. I've never seen you cry. You've always been so strong around me."
"I'm sorry," Stevie Rae said, wiping the tears from her face.
"Do not be. I was just saying because it is different for you. You do not always have to be strong for me. This...this is fine. Just... different."
"Oh." There was nothing else she could say to that. There was another long, tense pause. "Why did you come back for me?" Stevie Rae finally found herself blurting. He looked a bit taken aback.
"Did you not want me to?"
"No! Nonononononononono. No. It's not that, gosh no. It's just...why did you?"
"You! You were in another man's arms! I couldn't just... and then you were going to break our Imprint! I could not just sit back and... I could not lose you like that. Especially not to him. And I-" Stevie Rae didn't think she'd ever seen him lost for words like that before. It was a night of firsts. He continued fumbling around for words, and Stevie Rae just wanted to reach out and touch him; tell him it was all OK, and that she was just the happiest Okie she could be because he had come back for her.
"I've never seen you like this," Stevie Rae stopped him mid-sentence. Rephaim looked up from his lap, his eyes questioning and strikingly beautiful.
"Like what?"
"Lost for words."
"Uuh... Yes. It- it must be me being underground. Or something," he mumbled, looking back into his lap.
"You can go back upstairs, if you want. It is kinda cramped down here. You might wanna spread your wings a lil'."
"No," he said quickly and harshly. "I mean-no. I'd much rather be with you."
"Well, I'mma have to get going soon," Stevie Rae said to mask the fact that his words made her heart swell bigger than all of Oklahoma. "I can't stay forever."
"You could stay just a little longer..." He pressed. The idea made her smile.
"No," she sighed. "I really can't. I needa get goin'. Everybody's probably waitin' for an explanation from me. I need to clean up this mess I've made. It's like my Momma said: 'Always finish what you've started.' This is me doin' that." Rephaim chortled. "What?"
"I would like to meet your mother one day. She seems... a lot like you." There was a hint of a smile in his voice, his eyes gleamed. He wasn't quite serious, but just the thought of that situation made Stevie Rae squirm in her boots.
"Yeah, sure. Right after I meet your mother." Stevie Rae smiled cockily. She stood up to leave.
"Where are you going?" Rephaim asked, also standing.
"Back to the House of Night, where else?"
"How are you to get there?"
"Ummm, walk I s'pose."
"With that Dallas boy on the loose? I don't think so. At least not alone."
"I can take care of myself," she assured him. "And what other option is there?"
Rephaim thought deeply for a moment. "Let me take you." Stevie Rae just laughed.
"It's OK, really. It's not that far, Rephaim, but thanks anyhoo."

Stevie Rae walked up the stairs, closely followed by Repaim. “Bye,” she said quickly and awkwardly, then turned to leave. She opened the door slowly.

“Stevie Rae!” He called out. “Wait, please-” she turned to face him again. Confusion and pain lingered deep in his eyes, and her heart sunk just to see him like that. “Please, just… be careful.”

“I will-”

“No. You don’t understand. Something is off about tonight. Be very, very careful. Please.” His eyes were pleading with her. He was scared, but of what?

“I’ll see ya tomorrow, Rephaim,” she said, and turned back to the door, fearful that she wouldn’t be able to leave if she looked into his eyes any longer. She only got a few more steps out the door when he stopped her again.

“Stevie Rae!“ This time, she made sure not to turn. “Stevie Rae. Just- I… please…” he sighed heavily. “Never mind.”

She couldn’t help it. The concern in his voice was killing her. Stevie Rae turned and wrapped her arms tightly around the Raven Mocker, burying her face in his feathers. He took a long moment to respond, then lightly placed his arms around her as well and relaxed. They stood there for mere seconds, but it felt like hours to Stevie Rae. Finally, she pulled away, avoiding Rephaim’s gaze, and walked out the door.

“I could’ve stayed like that forever,” she whispered silently to herself, then took off into the night.


The author's comments:
Keep looking out for Part 2/?!!! Hope you enjoyed!! :)