Her Name is Alice | Teen Ink

Her Name is Alice

By Simplicity BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
Simplicity BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina

"Who? Who, is the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask."

~V -V for Vendetta

~If I had a world of my own everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't~
"Mom?" Alice whispered into the phone. "Mom are you there?"
"Yes Alice. I've been trying to call you for weeks. Why haven't you picked up?"
"I've just been busy, that's all. Um... Mom?"
"Yes? Alice what's wrong? You sound upset."
"N-nothing's wrong. I just..."
"Just what?"
"I love you."
"Oh... I love you too. Is that all you called for?"
"Yes."
"Oh."
"Yeah." The line went dead. Allison had hung up the phone before her mother could ask any more questions Allison didn't want to answer. Allison walked out of her room and into the small kitchen. Dishes were piled up next to the sink with bits of food falling off the edges. Allison wasn't sure what some of the dishes used to hold but she was sure that if she didn't wash them soon they were more than likely to grow legs and crawl away on their own. She would do them in the morning.
Allison took a glass that looked halfway clean and rinsed it out before looking in the fridge for something to drink. What she saw depressed her; there was nothing in the fridge but some moldy cheese, what used to be chicken, and some red wine. Allison grabbed the wine and decided to go to the store the next day. Allison set the bottle of wine and her glass on the counter to pick up a book left lying on the ground. Lewis Carroll's Alice's adventures in Wonderland stared up at her in a pathetic state. This had been her favorite book when she was little; she actually used to pretend that she was the Alice, in both Wonderland and its companion novel Through the Looking Glass. Now the only thing she could remember about the book was that Alice, the main character, fell down a rabbit hole and met a lot of quirky characters, the worst one being the nasty old queen and her favorite line 'Off with her head'.
Allison took the book, her wine and the glass into her living room, if you could call it that. Allison poured the wine and set the book down next to her on the couch. The couch was old and worn looking like Allison felt. Allison took a sip of the wine, noting that it tasted like watered down cherry Nyquil. Allison sighed and picked up Carroll's book, stretching out Allison opened the book to the first page.
Allison Liddell’s body was found three days later in the same position Alice's adventures in Wonderland clutched to her chest. Her schizophrenia medication strewn over the floor and coffee table like snow or for the more cynical mind the Eat Me cakes from Carroll’s book, the red wine bottle empty on the floor. She was smiling as if in the middle of a very good dream.
~And contrariwise what it is it wouldn't be and what it wouldn't be it would. You see? ~

Alice walked through the dark wood. The path was twisted but she knew where she was going; she made this trip so often when she was younger.
"Alice!" A short rail-thin man with a very large top hat sitting on his head a hatter's In This Style 10/6 card tucked in the band, greeted her with an open smile and a wave. Sitting next to him was a brown rabbit with a straw hat and bits of hay upon his head looking quite mad and in between them both a small doormouse was sleeping, waking up only to denying that he was asleep. Alice walked over to the tall man's other side and sat down. "We've been waiting for you!"

Shinedown's song Her Name is Alice inspired this work.

on Jun. 22 2011 at 12:15 pm
I loved this so much!!!! You're very talented <3

on Jun. 6 2011 at 1:32 pm
bunbun74 SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado
I loved your ending, it was a very insightful story!

Aamna BRONZE said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 4:56 pm
Aamna BRONZE, Burlington, Other

"Happiness come to those who wait"

Nice work. I like the details you put into your story. Also, the ending really surprised me. i thought it would be a dream that she had wandered into the 'world' but, it was real. Please check out my story called Precarious Pursuit! :)