Hushed Confessions | Teen Ink

Hushed Confessions

By OtakuSoul417 BRONZE, Edmonds, Washington
OtakuSoul417 BRONZE, Edmonds, Washington

Childish laughter… Pointed fingers…
"Look at her eyes! They're not normal!"
"She's a freak, stay away from her!"
A young girl, barely over the age of nine stood alone. She watched as the kids ran off in the opposite direction, once again singling her out. Wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, she dried the tears that had made a trail down her face.
"What's your name?"
Wide, silver-tinted magenta colored eyes glanced up at the source of the voice. In front of her stood a young boy with bright blonde hair and the clearest blue eyes she had ever seen before.
"You have very pretty eyes." The boy smiled at her, teeth flashing.
"T-Thank you…" She stuttered, a pink tint appearing on her cheek. She couldn't help but think that he had it backwards – he was the one with very pretty eyes…
"My name's Deidara." A small hand came up between them.
The large smile on his lips was so… different. No one had ever smiled at her like that before… Embarrassed, she glanced away from him to her feet.
"M-My name's Lunarosa… Please, just call me Luna." Without looking him in the eyes, she shook his hand. She jumped when something wet licked the palm of her offered hand.
"Hehe, sorry." Deidara put both his hands up, palms facing her. She stared in wonder at what looked like mouths at the palm of both his hands. "Don't worry, they won't bite."
Luna giggled despite herself. There was just something about the boy that made something in her chest flutter.
"Will you be my friend, Luna?"
"M-Me?" From her surprise, her magenta eyes dissolved into a vibrant color of green.
"Woah!" Deidara exclaimed in wonder.
Luna immediately turned away, hiding her eyes behind her platinum blonde hair. "I-I'm sorry!"
"N-No! I didn't mean it like that." Deidara's waved his outstretched hands in a panic before giving her an embarrassed smile as he scratched the back of his head guiltily, "I really like your eyes; pink or green, I think they're pretty."
"R-Really...?" A red tint rose on her cheek. Peeking from under her bangs she added in a shy whisper, "You know they also turn blue…"
"Seriously? That's so cool!"
Luna lips curled in a small smile; she finally found a friend.

A high pitched voice cried, "Look! It's that weird girl again!"
"Go away!" Her blonde companion yelled.
Lunarosa tugged on his hand, murmuring, "Deidara… It's okay. Just ignore them, please."
The boy huffed, but did as she said. Taking her by the hand, he ran the opposite direction and away from the crowd of people. Luna glanced down at their clasped hands and felt the familiar heat rise in her cheeks. She could feel her heart started to pound faster in her chest, and the palms of her hands turn clammy in response to holding his hand.
"Thank you, Deidara." Luna wasn't sure if the blonde had heard her, what with the wind blowing past them and her voice being soft. Either way, she had meant what she said. Three years had passed since she had first met him, and she couldn't remember a time when Deidara wasn't by her side. Through the names and teasing, Deidara was always there to stand up to the other kids, for her sake. And although Luna wished he wouldn't become involved in what were her problems, she was still (selfishly) grateful that he was.
Deidara looked over his shoulder and grinned, "Anytime."

Splenda BRONZE said...
on Mar. 17 2011 at 7:11 pm
Splenda BRONZE, Baldwinsville, New York

Loved it! Please please please continue! What happens next?