The Intentionally Repulsive Life of Fred: The Introduction

Introduction:

Inspired by Stephenie Meyer's Eclipse Novella, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, there comes a story about a vampire named Fred.

He began his vampire life as a pawn; a member of Riley's Newborn Army. Like the others, Fred was created for the sole purpose of helping Victoria exact her revenge on the Cullen coven - he just didn't know it. But Fred was different from the other newborns; he used his head. And he was special.

Prologue:

I only knew what Riley said, but was it the truth? The pieces to the puzzle just didn't add up. Why hadn't this coven come to defend their land if that was truly what this upcoming battle was all about? I'd been thinking about this whole situation for a while now.

I wanted to know what the girl, Bree, thought. There wasn't much time left. She had been the only one brave enough to get anywhere close to me. Bree was a silent companion of sorts, as I didn't talk to her and she didn't talk to me. One could never be too careful when everyone around had excellent hearing.

I have this "ability" to disgust others; to repulse them. In this group, it helped me to stay alive. As time passed, I had worked to strengthen my power. It gave me a bit of a thrill to see the thoroughly disgusted looks on the faces of the other vampires, especially Raoul's.

Anyway, Bree had taken to spending her time behind me. She must be smart to have realized my ability was her salvation. I lessened the power of repulsiveness for her, but I couldn’t be sure where her loyalties lay, and I kept a steady stream going at all times in order to keep the attention of the rest of the house away from us.

____________________________

When Riley called the fight training to a halt and called everyone together I unleashed the full power of my repulsion. I started walking backwards, towards the north; the opposite direction Riley was leading the group. I noticed Bree stayed close beside me. I stopped when we were about a hundred yards away. Warily, I kept my eye on Riley; to see if he noticed our retreat.

____________________________

(Anything between asterisks, *, was taken directly from The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Copyright belongs to Stephenie Meyer. These excerpts were used for informational purposes only, so readers will understand the beginning of my story)

(Anything in brackets, [ ], is altered to fit into Fred’s perspective, instead of Bree’s.)

*Riley began speaking. “We leave now. You’re strong and you’re ready. And you’re thirsty for it, aren’t you? You can feel the burn. You’re ready for dessert.”*

I wanted no part in Riley’s army. I wondered if Bree felt the same way.

*“The yellow-eyes are coming in slowly from the south, feeding along the way, trying to get stronger,” Riley said. “She’s been monitoring them, so I know where to find them. She’s going to meet us there, with Diego” ---he cast a significant glance toward where* Bree and I had been standing, *and then a quick frown that disappeared just as quickly---“and we will hit them like a tsunami. We will overwhelm them easily. And then we will celebrate.” He smiled. “Someone’s going to get a jump on the celebration. Raoul---give me that.” Riley held out his hand imperiously.

“Take another whiff, everybody. Let’s get focused!”

“Are you with me?” Riley bellowed.

Everyone screamed his or her assent.

“Let’s take them down, kids!”*

I didn’t move from where I stood. Bree didn’t budge either. It was now or never.

*”Riley won’t be able to think of me for about twenty minutes or so,”* I told Bree calmly because I wasn’t worried about anyone noticing us. *”I’ve been gauging the time. Even a good distance away, he’ll feel sick if he tries to remember me.”

“Really? That’s cool.”

[I] smiled. “I’ve been practicing, keeping track of the effects. I can make myself totally invisible now. No one can look at me if I don’t want them to.”

“I’ve noticed,” [Bree] said, then paused and guessed, ”You’re not going?”

[I] shook [my] head. ”Of course not. It’s obvious we’re not being told what we need to know. I’m not going to be Riley’s pawn.”

I was going to take off sooner, but then I wanted to talk to you before I left, and there hasn’t been a chance till now.”

“I wanted to talk to you, too,” [she] said, “I thought you should know that Riley’s been lying about the sun. This four-day thing is a total crock. I think Shelley and Steve and the others figured it out, too. And there’s a lot more politics going on with this fight than he’s told us. More than one set of enemies.”

“I’m not surprised,” [I] said calmly. “And I’m out. I’m going to explore on my own, see the world. Or I was going on my own, but then I thought maybe you might want to come, too. You’d be pretty safe with me. No one will be able to follow us.”

“I’ve got to get Diego,” [she] said, shaking [her] head.

[I] nodded thoughtfully. “I get it. You know, if you’re willing to vouch for him, you can bring him along. Seems like sometimes numbers come in handy.

“Yes,” [she] agreed fervently.

[I ] raised an eyebrow at [her] tone.

“Riley is lying about at least one more important thing,” [she] explained. “Be careful. We aren’t supposed to let humans know about us. There are some kind of freaky vampires who stop covens when they get too obvious. I’ve seen them, and you don’t want them to find you. Just keep out of sight in the day, and hunt smart.” [She] looked south anxiously. “I have to hurry!”

“Okay. Catch up to me if you want. I’d like to hear more. I’ll wait for you in Vancouver for one day. I know the city. I’ll leave you a trail in. . .” [I] thought for a second then chuckled once. “Riley Park. You can follow it to me. But after twenty-four hours I’m taking off.”

“I’ll get Diego and catch up to you.”

“Good luck, Bree.”

“Thanks, Fred! Good luck to you, too. I’ll see you!” [She] was already running.

“I hope so,”* I replied.

its_just_me said...
I loved this! Great job!

Robsessed replied...
Most of it is from The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, but thanks.

taylorf463 said...
This was really good. Although, the brackets could sometimes get kind of confusing, I think it would help if everyone had already read  the Bree Tanner story. I haven't had the chance to yet. But the character's voice shines through and maybe if you could clear up the disgust ability a little b/c it kind of confused me as well. :)

Robsessed replied...

Let me see if I can clear up the confusion.

1. Everything after the second separater line, starting with the 7th paragraph I took directly from The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, EXCEPT for the following sentences, which are mine.

I wanted no part in Riley's army. I wondered if Bree felt the same way.

I didn't move from where I stood. Bree didn't budge either. It was no or never.

I told Bree calmly because I wasn't worried about anyone noticing us.

2. I u... (more »)

CheshireCat said...
so should of read this part first it was good 2 by the way