Heart of a Lion, Head of a Serpent | Teen Ink

Heart of a Lion, Head of a Serpent

By squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

"The Irish gave the Scots the bagpipes as a joke, but the Scots haven't seen the joke yet"- Irish Proverb

The golden, orange, and red leaves on the lonely high limbs of the great oak trees had the appearance of fire, swaying softly with the crisp summer breeze. An icy film of frost topped the fallen browning dead leaves that covered the forest floor. The grounds were quiet, empty as if the world itself had stopped spinning.
As she walked the winding, narrow path back to the massive and almost ominous looking castle on the top of the hill looming over the great Black Lake, Rose Weasley appeared calm and serene, but trouble brewed beneath the surface. With only the sound of the few chirping birds that remained in the trees and the crunch of the gravel beneath her feet to serenade her while she pondered, she pictured the face of her mother when she came home for the Christmas holiday and told her that horrid secret she had pushed to the very back of her mind where she hardly dared to go.

Before she knew it, she was at the castle gates. Hogwarts castle. This is where it all began. This ancient, historic castle that is the setting for almost every tale she was told as a child. The stories of armor that moved, a poltergeist that terrorized first years, the professors for which her cousins were named, the library where her mother studied for hours on end and was petrified in by the basilisk that her uncle had slain and rescued her aunt from, where her parents fell in love. If not for Hogwarts, she would not exist, she would not, and neither would her problem.
She should go inside, she knew she should, it was lunch time, almost time for her next class. They’d be looking for her, she knew they would. If they did not find her in lunch, they would track her down and corner her in the common room. At fifteen, Rose thought she could decide who her friends should be and what she did was her own business, but apparently not. They would find him.

Well so what? There’s nothing to tell. They’ll look like right proper gits they will.

Rose decided that her appetite had dwindled into nothing with just the thought of him, that stupid boy.

“Git,” she muttered, kicking the pebbles by her toes.

“Who’s a git?” someone whispered in her ear.

She whipped around, her heart leaping into her throat and her long red hair swiping whoever was behind her in the face. She turned and stared directly into the very eyes of her quandary. They were a stormy gray-blue, not a cold and hard blue like the ones of the others in their family. There was a smile upon his pointed and pale face. Not a big one, but a small, playful, mischievous one. That smile made her angry. She wanted nothing more to whip out her wand and bat bogey hex him so hard that she’d never have to see that stupid smirk again.

“You, Scorpius,” she growled. “Get away from me before I jinx you!” She shoved him back, but it had no effect.

He had a strong, muscular build. The best Gryffindor beater Hogwarts had seen since Rose’s twin uncles Fred, whom she had never met, and George, who must have had two ears back then. He was clever and bright, if he was not a Malfoy, her mother, Hermione, would have liked him. He was also uncommonly kind; she had never seen him hurt anyone, not if he could help it. Trouble seemed to find him, he could never roam about the castle alone, too many children of his father’s old friends, growing more and more powerful every year.

“Rose, please, don’t,” he pleaded. “Please, just tell me what I’ve done.”

“You won’t leave me alone!” she cried.

Scorpius looked at her with sad, desolate eyes.

“We were so close last year Rose,” he said, softly. “What happened? Please, tell me.”

“It’s nothing you can fix,” she murmured.

“Please Rose, let me try. I deserve a chance, please,” be begged.

He was desperate. He needed a friend. Sure, the other Gryffindors had given him a chance, but if they knew what he wanted, if they knew what was between him and one of their own, they would surely turn on him, so would the his Ravenclaw friends because of Rose’s brother, Hugo. The Slytherins loathed him, as they should, them being Slytherins and him being a Gryffindor, and from a Slytherin family at that! When the now almost ancient Professor McGonogall had called his name to be sorted, he heard whispers buzzing about like demented bees, mocking him and his family. The Great Hall was dead silent with shock while he wore the Sorting Hat, it telling him that he was so different from his family. How it thought he would undoubtedly be a Slytherin, and now it must decide between Ravenclaw, and Slytherin’s arch rival house, Gryffindor. His parents had disowned him after they had seen his Gryffindor robes that summer holiday, sent him away to live in the house of his deceased grandparents, Narcissa and Lucius. Not that it had mattered much, they invested little time in him before and was raised more by the house elves than by his proud parents.
There was little company there in that old place, only the elderly housekeeper, Millicent-a bitter old woman- sent to take care of him. He was miserable, alone, and without affection until he had received his first letter the summer after his second year at Hogwarts. It was an old owl who had delivered it. Pig, was its name, perhaps? There was a letter from Hugo and Rose Weasley, and even James Potter, who had become his friend on the Quidditch team. His friends were from families that his despised. Civil on Platform 9 ¾, but forever loathed one another. The Potters and Weasleys accepted Scorpius after his parents had rejected him. They kept an eye on him the first time he visited (it had been that same summer), but they learned to trust him, that he was different. He had grown closer to Rose toward the end of their Christmas holiday last year their fourth year at school, and now he had lost her and he had to know why!

“There’s nothing Scorpius!” she shouted, tears twinkling in her bright green eyes. “Nothing! Just nothing you can do!”

He didn’t move, his face was stony, his eyes sad. She couldn’t bear to look into those eyes, those eyes that gazed at her so lovingly at one time. Such a wonderful time that was. In the Burrow, that had been expanded upon yet again after her brother was born, with her grandparents and the Potters on Christmas Eve. The whole family had been in the orchard that snowy afternoon playing a friendly game of Quidditch. The losing team had to clean up the plates after dinner, to their dismay, without magic. Rose had been on the loosing team, despite being one of the best chasers, not unlike her Aunt Ginny, on the Gryffindor House team.
She was washing dishes when Scorpius joined her. He brought her a mug of butterbeer and had sprinkled just a bit of cinnamon on top because he knew that was her favorite drink. He had asked her to join him by the window in the lounge across from the cackling fire. They were alone and they were having a splendid time. As the night progressed, Rose had rested her head on Scorpius’s shoulder; he had his arm around her waist. Rose remembered never wanting such a happy feeling to end, but, alas, it did. Hugo had walked into the room and loudly cleared his throat. Rose couldn’t help but think her father was standing in front of them, as he and his son shared appearance and that same disapproving stare. It was hard, angry, and spiteful.

That had been the end to their closeness. They had avoided one another for the rest of the break, and never got a chance to see one another between their classes. They spoke only during meals, and that was limited by the amount of people they were dining with.

Rose hung her head in shame, for she understood, or so she thought, more than Scorpius why Hugo had been so angry that night. She knew what she had to do, and, despite that it was a bitter and cold act, she had done it. She would do it forever if it meant pleasing her family, which was all she wanted to do. She felt a horrible churning in her stomach and felt ill. A tear rolled down her cheek and Scorpius wiped it away with his thumb. He tilted her face upward and her heart began to race.

“You can tell me, Rose,” he assured her.

Little did poor Rose know, Scorpius knew what she was going to say. That very night, Christmas Eve, he began to understand that she would never allow herself to be with him if her family disapproved. He knew her though, he knew Rose better than her family. She would decide for herself, she had to. Scorpius had faith, and he would pursue her until she told him herself that she did not want to be with him.

She opened her mouth to speak, almost afraid that she would vomit instead of talk, but nothing came out. He waited patiently for her, his eyes never leaving her face despite that she wanted nothing more than to run away and never see him again. She opened her mouth, but instead of words, she made some sort of gurgling noise. She clamped her jaw shut tight, took a deep breath, looked at Scorpius with an unyielding glare and began to speak, only to be cut off by the sound of her brother and cousins.

“Where could they be?” Hugo demanded, angrily.

“C’mon Hue, what’s the worst that could happen?” said James.

“He’s a Malfoy! A no good, rotten pureblood, and he’s got my little sister! What couldn’t happen?!” Not only did Hugo look like his father, but he also had his temper.

“He’s our friend,” said Albus.

“He’s a Malfoy!”

His words stung Scorpius, but only for a moment. Hugo was his friend, and he understood his family history did not serve his purpose well. He was a Malfoy, he knew what he was, everyone knew what he was, but they did not know what it was like to live in the home of Draco Malfoy and his wife. They could not possibly imagine.
Rose looked at him, terrified, and pulled away from him. “I have to go, they can’t find us! Not like this!” she hissed, and began to turn toward the castle.

“Rose, wait!” Scorpius called after her. She faced him again, more tears in her eyes. “I know my family and yours are enemies, but I haven’t seen my father or mother in over two years. I’m different, I am! You know it! They know it! Please, give me a chance. I deserve a chance, don’t I?” He held out his hand, inviting her to come with him. “Please, Rose, trust me.”

Rose glanced back at the castle, the footsteps of her brother and cousin coming closer and closer, her heart pounding against her chest so hard she thought it would burst out. The words her father had said right before she boarded the Hogwarts Express five years ago ringing in her ears;* “Don’t get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pureblood.”. Her eyes darted back and forth between the castle and Scorpius’s pleading face. With a final look, she made her decision and took Scorpius’s hand. Together, they ran toward the Black Lake.

TO BE CONTINUED…

*Direct quote from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

on Aug. 17 2010 at 10:26 pm
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

Hahaha oh I'm sure they've gotten to one of your articles already. I hope that this won't stop you from critiquing any other work you may submit. I can't help but want to impress you. Put Simon in his place, ya know? In a friendly way of course. I'm ambitious I guess, crazy, if you will, but oh well, can't help it.

But because you brought up earlier points, I've got one more response. Thirteen is young, despite being in the teen years, so I think being gentler would work better. Perhaps it's my nature, but oh well, that's life. You're going to critique the way you feel is best, and I'll critique the way I feel is best. Neither is better, so, therefore, we balance.

If you'd really like to argue, then I'll see what I can do =)

on Aug. 17 2010 at 9:56 pm

Billy B and all haters: if you want to message me directly, do so on one of my works. Try giving me a dose of my own medicine--tell me rudely how bad my work is.

I guarentee you that I can find more fault in my own work than you can find in it. Be as cruel as you want; I have been far more cruel to myself.

I was never upset by the joker because, as you can see, the joke is on him/her and I made it that way, laughing the entire time. This victory was once mine, but now it is ours. The cowards still refuse to show their faces. The J7X team is anything but anonymous and clearly more numerous than your pathetic band of anti-Jasonfolds. We are based on blind love, you are based on known hatred. 

Keep this up. I am laughing harder than the joker ever has. :)

on Aug. 17 2010 at 9:47 pm

good writers are mature. You get good at writing from wisdom, I think, and therefore it takes maturity and usually age to be good at it.

See as arrogant as I may be, I know I have tons to learn to improve myself... and anyone else who has ambition will learn to take criticism in stride. And why not learn young? We're all teenagers. That's young adult right?

Argument over eh? Looks like we should start one on one of my stories so my ratings can surpass yours. Care to tell your friend AvengedFAKERfold to post something on one of my pieces or do I have to use this terrible power I've gained yet again?

on Aug. 17 2010 at 9:32 pm
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

As a more mature person, you may think that way, but younger writers don't! It's you're style though. If it's working for you then it's working for you. I think this argument is over.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 8:28 pm

assist yes. Harsh criticism is part of life it's nothing personal. Anyone who plays football will tell you that. My feedback is a way of assisiting people. It is up to each individual to decide if he/she will be crushed by anything. People only crush you if you let them. People only crushed me because I let them too. It's not a matter of what you deserve it's a matter of what life gives to you and what you decide to do with it. 

The fact of the matter is I am a sarcastic and frank. People ask for my opinion and advice I give it to them in that manner. It is up to them to decide how to recieve my advice.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 8:09 pm
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

I can deal with you. I'm sorry that you were crushed when you were younger, but you didn't deserve that. They don't deserve to be crushed like you either. I believe in nurturing and helping authors grow, something I didn't get until this past school years. Really, I'm in a boat quite like yours, I understand what it's like to be crushed. Just recently, I got kicked out of my mom's apartment, crushed is not a new thing to me. I don't want people to end up like me. Spoonfeed no, assist, yes.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 7:19 pm

protect the newbies? Where the heck was my protection? Most of my childhood was spent being crushed by people in ways you couldn't imagine. This is a cruel world full of cruel people who purposely take advantage of weak people. And the publishers aren't necessarily like that, but that's besides the point. I have no sympathy for weak people who don't know what to do when adversity smacks them in the face--I hardly have sympathy for myself.

I don't believe in sheltering people from basic realities of life. People are weak--weak minded, weak spirited, and weak hearted because they're being spoonfed and sheltered all their life. If they can't handle a little simon feedback, they can't handle anything in the real world. No it's not my job to prepare people for what I think the real world holds. But it's not my job to shelter them either.

And all things considered, I am part of the real world. Learn to deal with me lol

on Aug. 17 2010 at 10:05 am
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

Thanks, I love the title too! I had been thinking of Luna Lovegood's giant head things she wore for Quidditch matches when I made it; and Jason, someone already made the Squid on Rocketpower connection too! Although, he was my favorite character on that show, my name is for Squidward on Spongebob, because I had been watching that when I made my account. Apology not needed, really, it's okay, just for future references.

I've submitted to publishers too, and, well, yeah, they're not always great...yes, Simon Cowell does sort of imply a more thuroughed critique, but perhaps a bit of warning would be good. I'm not out to get you on this, and I'm not mad at you for my critique, I just want to protect the newbie writers. They remind me of me when I was little, ya know? I was crushed a lot, almost gave up, and I don't want that to happen to anyone else. Perhaps reserving Simon for more experienced writers would be best, but it's your feedback, so it's not my decision. I just think that older writers would appreciate it more, as the older they get, the less of an excuse they'll have. Honestly, I've got nothing against you personally and I hope we can remain civil towards one another, as I had asked for your feedback and it was very useful. I don't really want this whole argument to go on. This story is the 4th most discussed article, and it doesn't desrve to be because most of the comments were arguments. I'm sorry this had to happen and for jumping on your whole team thing, surely you can understand though.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 7:56 pm
yeah If i never mentioned that the Title is really good, it is. Truly.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 7:51 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Haha, I concur.  "No, it's just boiling hot coffee, it won't actually burn you." And just wanted to say squidzinkpen, I'm sorry I didn't mention this, but I did read the story, and I think it's a very good piece of fan fiction, especially with the characters and descriptions. Love the title:D

on Aug. 16 2010 at 7:35 pm

squidzinkpen: apologies times a thousand. I assumed you were a guy because part of your screen name "squid" reminded me of the dude from the TV show Rocketpower who they nicknamed squid. I'm sure your screen name has nothing to do with the character from that show, but peoples' minds make wierd connections like that (especially mine lol) and I promise you that was completely my mistake and I apologize.

In my defense to my comments, I don't know anything about people until they tell me. People ask for Simon Feedback, I give it to them. I submitted my first novels to agents when I was young and I didn't always get nice feedback. What should I have expected? I never mean to attack someone personally unless they first do so to me. But I see where you're coming from. Maybe I didn't warn them enough... maybe McDonalds didn't warn the lady that sued them for millions of dollars that a cup of coffee was hot either.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 7:06 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Wow....this is just sad.  Although imitation IS a form of flattery. Still....wow. Just wow.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 6:33 pm
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

No you're not, though no one has lost or won, and I'm a girl, so it's Ms. Squidzinkpen to you! Just kidding, I do respect your intellegence and your work, but not some of your comments. You have not been harsh with me, but I've seen a fair few comments that were really just too hard. On an older author maybe harsh is better, but not with newer ones, who you have unleashed your wit upon. I'm fine with your critiquing of my work, I know the author that I am, and now am just looking for a bit of help here and there, but some are new at this and don't deserved to be crushed by someone who has gone far as a writer, such as yourself. By the way, my dear Jason, crude means blunt/offensive and does not imply curse words that would normally be censored were used.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 6:31 pm
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

Woops, that was supposed to go down by the newer one!

on Aug. 16 2010 at 6:28 pm
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

on Aug. 16 2010 at 12:33 pm
kill6them6all6, Buffalo, New York

"Sometimes, its the chase that keeps us going." Donnie Darko

And as for the author, I loved it! This is exactly what fan-fic should be :)

on Aug. 16 2010 at 12:31 pm
kill6them6all6, Buffalo, New York

I've been following this as well, and I do believe that honesty is a good quality, even in general speaking. But what I, and many other people(ManBehindTheMask), have yet to understand, is how telling someone rudely that their pieces could use some work could be at all helpful. I can understand telling someone where they could improve helpfully but when you insult them because you as a person don't like their work, is just wrong. People come on here, probably shyly, to get their work seen and critiqued. They do not, however, come on here to get their work put down by people. Everone is going to hate something about your work, and thats only because everyone has a different taste in literature, but don't put down people because YOU don't like it.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 12:25 pm
kill6them6all6, Buffalo, New York

I really liked this. There was NOTHING you needed to improve on. Keep writing :)

on Aug. 16 2010 at 12:40 am
squidzinkpen SILVER, Buffalo, New York

I wouldn't say they're afraid. I'd say they're being smart about what they do. I mean, I wouldn't want people to know who I was, for the sake of my writing. Not saying I'm the imposter, just in general, I think they're being smart.

We-R-3 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 16 2010 at 12:37 am
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

r name with bestie after it one of the people afraid to use a screen name