Curtain Call | Teen Ink

Curtain Call

By lauren.panos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
lauren.panos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Plumping her lips as she watched her reflection in the mirrored wall, Cher recited to herself, “Goodnight, goodnight! Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.”

“Did you write that?” Juliet sarcastically put.

“Duh. It's like a famous quote.” By the means of her confidence and the flipping of her
hair, Cher proved that she had done her research…

“From where?”

”Cliff's Notes…” Well, most of her research included online shopping too.

Her eyes were tucked behind the script, but peeked out just enough to snoot Cher with a, “More so, ‘Story-of-my-life’…”

“As if, Juliet!” said Cher. Like…As if being stuck in the same audition with Romeo’s lover wasn’t enough competition. There were ten minutes to curtain call. “Maybe you should call it quits and become a nun. You’d look smashing in black and white.”

“Now, that's a bit of a cheap shot, Cher.” Romeo attempted to calm down the cat fight. “Fix the problems between the two of you, or there will be consequences.” It was plenty clear that there was no where enough room to create a battle.

Both Cher and Juliet knew Romeo would do anything almost anything to get the attention on him. It was no wonder that he had to jump in on their dispute.

“Could you be any more of a brown noser?” It was obvious that Cher wouldn’t let Romeo shy the light on her.

The button spotlights aligned on the front wall dimmed. Coming from the speaker system above, a loud booming voice announced, “This is your curtain call, its show time!”
Romeo, Juliet, and Cher stood center stage before the curtain. The buttons flashed beams of lights toward them. As the elevator doors opened, the three auditionees saw past the curtain, the heads of the audience in the crowd. They could see that this was no ordinary audition…