Hunger Pains This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Long ago, a huge wolf roamed the land in search of wisdom, beauty, and love. Every creature in every forest knew of this magnificent wolf, and they were not afraid of him for he promised not to harm any living animal. He ate only berries and fruits; he was determined not to hurt anyone.

One day, as the wolf strode through the woods, he heard a faint melody. The sweet tune intrigued him, so he began to follow it to its wonderful source. After some searching, he spotted a young woman in a red cloak walking along humming a cheerful tune. He had never seen such a beautiful human girl in all his life, and ­decided to ­approach her carefully, and not frighten her with his ferocious ­appearance.

“Excuse me, fair maiden, but what song is that which you hum?” he asked quietly.

The young girl, turning, didn't seem to be at all fazed by the wolf; in fact, she acted as though it was a normal, everyday occurrence to run into a creature like him.

“Well, sir, I just made it up. It's not really a song of any importance.” Her voice was soft, yet stern.

“I think it's a rather beautiful song, therefore to me, it is of great importance.” The wolf noticed a small basket filled with food in the girl's hand and asked her where she was going.

“I found a vacant home back here in the woods, and I was thinking about having a picnic there. Then, maybe later, I could clean it up and make it my own!” Her excitement over the picnic and cleaning the house pleased the wolf; it wasn't every day he saw a young human following their dreams.

“That all sounds very well. I'll leave you to your travels, young miss.” The wolf lowered his head as if to bow and started to walk away.

“Sir!” cried the girl. “Would you like a piece of bread before you go?” The wolf accepted her offer and took a small piece.

As soon as he finished it, he felt something strange inside of his body, like all of his insides were burning with hunger – hunger for meat, of both man and animal. As the wolf fell over, he heard a woman's laughter. When he gazed over at the little girl in red, she was no longer beautiful. She had aged; her eyes were full of hate, and her hair appeared brittle and thin.

“You fool!” She grinned and began to back away from him. “I've been crossing the land in search of you! It's not right that a beast such as yourself doesn't eat proper meat.” The wolf looked at her, bewildered. “Never again shall you eat a single berry! Instead, you shall eat meat of human and animal alike, and suffer from eternal hunger!”

The wolf went to pounce on her but, within a blink of an eye, the woman was gone. Furious, saddened, and alone, the wolf started to walk as hunger began to ache in his bones.

For thousands of years, the wolf ate the meat of the people within the villages and kingdoms he destroyed in pursuit of settling his hunger. Everywhere he went, he kept an eye out for the woman who had cursed him; however, she was never to be found. The idea of revenge lingered in the wolf's mind and transformed him into a bitter animal.

Then one day, as he walked in the forest he always traveled, he caught sight of a young girl in a red hood. Convinced this was the woman he had been searching for, he went directly to her, trying to gain control over his anger.

“Young one, where are you off to?” His voice was deep and raspy.

The girl shrilled at the sight of him and spoke with a quivering voice. “To my grandmother's. Her house is at the end of this trail and I need to bring her some food.”

The wolf could tell this wasn't the girl he had been searching for, but he thought of her grandmother, and knew she must be the one. “Thank you, young miss.” He spoke as he darted away, following the thin trail.

It was a short distance to the house, and as the wolf approached, he heard the humming of a song he hadn't heard in thousands of years. He froze; anger raged inside of him, and his surging hunger swelled to a degree he had never felt. Blinded by revenge, he broke through the door as the old woman screamed. The wolf knocked over dishes and tables, and then pounced on the elderly woman, ­devouring her whole.

It wasn't long after the wolf finished eating her that the young girl in the red hood entered the house. Terrified, she dropped her basket and ran screaming into the woods as the wolf chased her. The girl tumbled through the bushes as the wolf came closer and closer.

He was finally upon her. Suddenly, from a hidden place between the trees, an axe broke through and cut into the wolf's side, gashing it open as he fell to the ground. A woodsman had been in the forest when he heard the young girl's cry, and ran to protect her from the foul, wretched wolf.

The man took his axe and sliced open the wolf's belly. He filled it full of stones and rocks and sewed them up, and carried the wolf out to a deep river and dropped him into the water.

The wolf did not die. He survived, and sat at the bottom of the river, ­unable to move, with his hunger pains aching ever more.

Wolfheart said...
DUUUDE. Epicness, a totally awesome remake on Red Riding Hood. Please make more of these!

E.B.D This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm :
Actually, I've been working on one! It's going to be an unofficial sequal to this one, but those who haven't read the Red Ridinghood story can still understand what's happening. However if they have read it like you and many others then it expands the story even further! :) Thank you for the feedback!

Cdumas said...
Nice work Emily!! Enjoyed the read....keep writing as you clearly have a gift!

E.B.D This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I had no idea there was a game XD

AlyxLeon said...
Oct. 26, 2010 at 11:02 am:
Wow, very interesting twist on the story. Man, I wish they'd let us have an assignment like that. That'd be awesome and i'd actually turn in my work time. Possibly. Maybe not. Probably not. Lol. that's why my english teachers hate me.

Katie1234 said...
Oct. 17, 2010 at 10:27 am:
This was well written, but the title led me to believe it was a spoof of the Hunger games series.

marshmellow.jacket replied...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm :
yeh thats what I thought too. But nevertheless it was a good story and I liked the ending especially.

secretlypoetic replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 9:35 am :
I thought the same thing, but this was really excellent writing. I enjoyed even if I was misled!

Katie1234 replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm :
It was very well written.

ThatClarinetPerson said...

aww. poor wolf :(

great writing.

E.B.Dumas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 11:23 am :
Yeahhh, I agree, haha. Thank you though

Natalie.S. said...
awesome!!!! I love every detail. I always love stories with lots of detail in them! Keep up the good work!!

Sept. 24, 2010 at 11:24 am :
Well, if you really liked this one then you should be on the look out for another story. I'm in the process of another fractured fairytale :) Thank you for your feedback!

kielymarie said...
Aug. 15, 2010 at 11:20 am:
Wow. This was incredible! I loved how you filled in the holes of the story in such a creative way. Great job!

Aug. 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm :
Thank you very much :)

LilDog14 said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 8:20 am:
Awesome job. You really connected with how the wolf felt.

writerali said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:22 pm:
Oh my gosh! This is so awesome. We had to do a fractured fairytale, too. I hated the topic because I couldn't figure out anything and mine turned out really lame. It just goes to show you have a gift.

Pandaocalypse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:03 am :
Haha, I thought the samething too, but my issue was there were many stories I loved and I couldn't figure out which one I wanted most! Obviously, I picked Red Riding Hood; what did you pick? Thanks for the compliment by the way ^__^

Rubix said...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:59 am:
really awesome. I can really fell the characters in this story.

xcrayolaxstormx said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 6:11 pm:
This was really good! I liked it alot. Even though the wolf was mean, I thought it was sad :( I did like the ending though. It was really interesting, like how the wolf came to be mean and stuff. Keep up the great work! :)

Aug. 14, 2010 at 11:20 pm :
Thank you very much! I love the feedback about your thoughts on the characters!