Hunger Pains | Teen Ink

Hunger Pains MAG

By E.B.D BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
E.B.D BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida

Long ago, a huge wolf roamed the land in search of wisdom, beauty, and love. Every creature in every forest knew of this magnificent wolf, and they were not afraid of him for he promised not to harm any living animal. He ate only berries and fruits; he was determined not to hurt anyone.

One day, as the wolf strode through the woods, he heard a faint melody. The sweet tune intrigued him, so he began to follow it to its wonderful source. After some searching, he spotted a young woman in a red cloak walking along humming a cheerful tune. He had never seen such a beautiful human girl in all his life, and ­decided to ­approach her carefully, and not frighten her with his ferocious ­appearance.

“Excuse me, fair maiden, but what song is that which you hum?” he asked quietly.

The young girl, turning, didn't seem to be at all fazed by the wolf; in fact, she acted as though it was a normal, everyday occurrence to run into a creature like him.

“Well, sir, I just made it up. It's not really a song of any importance.” Her voice was soft, yet stern.

“I think it's a rather beautiful song, therefore to me, it is of great importance.” The wolf noticed a small basket filled with food in the girl's hand and asked her where she was going.

“I found a vacant home back here in the woods, and I was thinking about having a picnic there. Then, maybe later, I could clean it up and make it my own!” Her excitement over the picnic and cleaning the house pleased the wolf; it wasn't every day he saw a young human following their dreams.

“That all sounds very well. I'll leave you to your travels, young miss.” The wolf lowered his head as if to bow and started to walk away.

“Sir!” cried the girl. “Would you like a piece of bread before you go?” The wolf accepted her offer and took a small piece.

As soon as he finished it, he felt something strange inside of his body, like all of his insides were burning with hunger – hunger for meat, of both man and animal. As the wolf fell over, he heard a woman's laughter. When he gazed over at the little girl in red, she was no longer beautiful. She had aged; her eyes were full of hate, and her hair appeared brittle and thin.

“You fool!” She grinned and began to back away from him. “I've been crossing the land in search of you! It's not right that a beast such as yourself doesn't eat proper meat.” The wolf looked at her, bewildered. “Never again shall you eat a single berry! Instead, you shall eat meat of human and animal alike, and suffer from eternal hunger!”

The wolf went to pounce on her but, within a blink of an eye, the woman was gone. Furious, saddened, and alone, the wolf started to walk as hunger began to ache in his bones.

For thousands of years, the wolf ate the meat of the people within the villages and kingdoms he destroyed in pursuit of settling his hunger. Everywhere he went, he kept an eye out for the woman who had cursed him; however, she was never to be found. The idea of revenge lingered in the wolf's mind and transformed him into a bitter animal.

Then one day, as he walked in the forest he always traveled, he caught sight of a young girl in a red hood. Convinced this was the woman he had been searching for, he went directly to her, trying to gain control over his anger.

“Young one, where are you off to?” His voice was deep and raspy.

The girl shrilled at the sight of him and spoke with a quivering voice. “To my grandmother's. Her house is at the end of this trail and I need to bring her some food.”

The wolf could tell this wasn't the girl he had been searching for, but he thought of her grandmother, and knew she must be the one. “Thank you, young miss.” He spoke as he darted away, following the thin trail.

It was a short distance to the house, and as the wolf approached, he heard the humming of a song he hadn't heard in thousands of years. He froze; anger raged inside of him, and his surging hunger swelled to a degree he had never felt. Blinded by revenge, he broke through the door as the old woman screamed. The wolf knocked over dishes and tables, and then pounced on the elderly woman, ­devouring her whole.

It wasn't long after the wolf finished eating her that the young girl in the red hood entered the house. Terrified, she dropped her basket and ran screaming into the woods as the wolf chased her. The girl tumbled through the bushes as the wolf came closer and closer.

He was finally upon her. Suddenly, from a hidden place between the trees, an axe broke through and cut into the wolf's side, gashing it open as he fell to the ground. A woodsman had been in the forest when he heard the young girl's cry, and ran to protect her from the foul, wretched wolf.

The man took his axe and sliced open the wolf's belly. He filled it full of stones and rocks and sewed them up, and carried the wolf out to a deep river and dropped him into the water.

The wolf did not die. He survived, and sat at the bottom of the river, ­unable to move, with his hunger pains aching ever more.

In one of my writing classes I was asked to make a Fractured Fairytale and I chose Little Red Ridinghood. This is the story I created.

on Jan. 24 2012 at 8:04 pm
DeletedAccount, NA, Pennsylvania
Awesomeness! I really like it, but poor wolf... If you make a sequel, could the wolf turn good? He was so innocent...

JLS137 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 17 2011 at 2:39 pm
JLS137 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

O_O That was intense.

I like it!

E.B.D BRONZE said...
on Oct. 14 2011 at 8:03 pm
E.B.D BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
Thank you very much! :)

on Oct. 13 2011 at 4:41 pm
Artemis--Sherwood GOLD, Hemet, California

"We're all stories in the end."

I think I like your vesion of the story better. It seems more.... creative. :)

Lizette SILVER said...
on Sep. 17 2011 at 6:38 pm
Lizette SILVER, Delphos, Ohio

Everyone is entitled to be stupid. But some people abuse the privlidge!

wow that was an awseome twist on the story!  i actually like this one better! keep writing!

on Jul. 30 2011 at 1:00 pm
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
I LOVED THE STORY!!! Great job and keep on writing!!! one of my stories was just posted. if anyone could read it that would be great. Its called: Alien Invasion Series: Book One: The Caller. just click my user name and then that story and start reading, I enjoy the comments and feedback! :)(:

on Jul. 26 2011 at 11:01 pm
PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
Wow this is so creative! I love it!

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Jul. 26 2011 at 12:44 pm
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

It was very well written.

on Jul. 26 2011 at 9:35 am
Secretlypoetic GOLD, Hastings, Michigan
I thought the same thing, but this was really excellent writing. I enjoyed even if I was misled!

inkers GOLD said...
on Jun. 18 2011 at 9:24 am
inkers GOLD, Midland, Texas

"And the lamplight gloating o'er him threw his shadow on the floor... and my soul from out that shadow... shall be lifted, nevermore!" - Poe

Wow. This is a great version to the story. I love how twisted and sad it is. <3

on Mar. 20 2011 at 10:09 am
dragonluver62897 BRONZE, Montrose, Michigan

A good leader doesn't necessarily take people to where they want to go, but ought to be. - Rosalynn Carter

This is an amazing story! I love it, but the poor wolf! He didn't deserve to be cursed by that wreched woman! Excellent job!

Splenda BRONZE said...
on Mar. 1 2011 at 2:09 pm
Splenda BRONZE, Baldwinsville, New York
I love it!!! But the ending is sad. If you make a sequel could you please make the wolf happy? He sounds so nice. 

on Jan. 23 2011 at 1:05 pm
EmilyNicole BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida

The biggest misktake you can make is being too afraid to make one.

This story is definitely, truly EPIC. I loved it! You defintely have a talent for writing.

E.B.D BRONZE said...
on Dec. 29 2010 at 5:17 pm
E.B.D BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
Actually, I've been working on one! It's going to be an unofficial sequal to this one, but those who haven't read the Red Ridinghood story can still understand what's happening. However if they have read it like you and many others then it expands the story even further! :) Thank you for the feedback!

on Dec. 26 2010 at 5:53 pm
Wolfheart BRONZE, Aslan&#39s Country, California
DUUUDE. Epicness, a totally awesome remake on Red Riding Hood. Please make more of these!

Cdumas said...
on Dec. 13 2010 at 8:08 pm
Nice work Emily!! Enjoyed the read....keep writing as you clearly have a gift!

E.B.D BRONZE said...
on Nov. 26 2010 at 9:57 pm
E.B.D BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
I had no idea there was a game XD

on Nov. 21 2010 at 6:35 pm
marshmellow.jacket BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan
1 article 1 photo 11 comments

I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship -Louisa May Alcott
I never thought of Snoopy as my pet, more like my friend -Charlie Brown

yeh thats what I thought too. But nevertheless it was a good story and I liked the ending especially.

AlyxL said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 11:02 am
AlyxL, Cleveland, Texas

"So neglect becomes our ally."

-Count de Monte Cristo

Wow, very interesting twist on the story. Man, I wish they'd let us have an assignment like that. That'd be awesome and i'd actually turn in my work time. Possibly. Maybe not. Probably not. Lol. that's why my english teachers hate me.

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Oct. 17 2010 at 10:27 am
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."

This was well written, but the title led me to believe it was a spoof of the Hunger games series.