Confusing Times | Teen Ink

Confusing Times

February 16, 2010
By teamsbwriter SILVER, Alexandria, Virginia
teamsbwriter SILVER, Alexandria, Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself." -The Alchemist


Sabrina, Adrienne, and Kiely were all in the hotel room.

“Sabrina,” Adrienne said, “You were totally out of it during dinner.”

“Yeah,” Kiely agreed, “What was going on?”

“I was just in a conversation with Mark that I forgot people were there. I zoned that is all.”

“Sabrina,” Kiely gave her that look.

“What,” she replied.

“We know you better than that. I think you’re in love with him.”

“No I’m not. He is a friend that’s it.”

“Sure Sabrina,” Adrienne looked at Kiely and then looked back at Sabrina.

“Really. I am not in love with Mark.”

“Okay. Whatever you say Sabrina,” Kiely and Adrienne said together.
She didn’t even believe it herself. Sabrina wasn’t sure if she was in love with Mark. She had boyfriends before, but she had never felt this way before. Mark was sexy when he dance and the chemistry had become stronger with each rehearsal. Sabrina was sure if love was even part of the picture. Kiely and Adrienne had already changed into their pajamas and Sabrina was still in her dress.

“I’ll be right back,” Sabrina said, “I’ve got to change out of my dress and wash up for bed.”

“Okay,” Adrienne said.
Kiely and Adrienne exchanged glances.

“What,” Sabrina asked, confused.

“Usually when you’re in love with a guy and say that you go out into the hall to call him.”

“I really was going to change. I’m ready to go to bed. I’m tired.”

“Alright,” the girls said in unison.
Sabrina rolled her eyes and grabbed her pajamas. She didn’t know what to think anymore. Usually Sabrina had her guard up. She didn’t like people getting close to her. Sabrina was a strong woman, who didn’t need anyone to protect her. She wanted to keep herself safe and didn’t want her heart to be broken. Sabrina changed and pulled her hair back. Sabrina was washing her face and didn’t know who she was looking at in the mirror. Mark was changing her. She was more confused about what her heart was saying that she had been ever before. Her mind was telling her that she was a friend with Mark and it would stay that way. Sabrina came out of the bathroom and sat down on the bed.

“I’m so confused,” Sabrina said to Kiely and Adrienne.

“Why,” Kiely asked.

“My heart is saying that I love Mark, but my mind is telling me that he is a friend. I don’t know which one to listen to. I’ve kept my guard up my whole life. I’ve never felt so vulnerable before. It is so confusing and weird.”

“That is how I felt with Rob,” Adrienne said, “Just let him in a little bit at a time.”

“I just don’t know. I’m not used to being vulnerable. I don’t like it at all.”

“We know you don’t,” Kiely said, “but give it a shot. I think things will work out for the better.”
Sabrina wasn’t sure if this was the right advice for her, but she trusted her two best friends. It was time to just go with what happens. Life is unexpected. It’s best to leave it that way, for now.