Hansel and Gretel (The Witch's Story)

Those kids have been tormenting me since they could walk. They would break my flower pots, pull up my garden and throw rocks at my cats. They are always eating the candy that I make my house out of, and they leave a wake of destruction wherever they go. They’ve caused so much trouble their parents don’t even want them any more. Their stepmother is always leading them deep into the middle of the forest, hoping they won’t return, and they somehow always find their way back. But I know their secret: The older one leaves behind bits of bread, so they can find their way back home. I have a plan that will make sure they never come back.

First, I will follow them when their mother leads them out into the woods. I will collect all the bits of bread, so they cannot find their way home. After they discover they are lost, they will have used all their food and will begin to grow hungry. They will then remember about how my house is made of candy and will come to eat it. And I will be waiting. I will kidnap them and make them think that I am going to eat them, only to let them escape right before I do. They will be so terrified they will never to return, and leave me and my cats alone. Hopefully this works.

VagueDust said...
Do Goldilocks, and little red!

kristi421 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:16 am
hahahaha! this is great!

brainiac said...
Very creative twist! Like it.

PopCornIsEpic said...
Lol. in the original story she eats them

MalorieP replied...
this is really good and i never thought of it this way i think that i am going to use the witches pov for my story too, its such a great spin.!

Aamna said...
Wow. This is an interesting take on the story... I never thought of the witch to be a semi-good-guy. Good work. Please check out my story, Precarious Pursuit!

Elisabawth said...
I like this but in the origional story the kids don't escape. She really eats them..

SmilingFool said...
Makes her sound more clever than just a had in an oven to finish a stereotypical fairytale :)

SmilingFool replied...
I mean head :p

ToriLovett said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 10:08 am
I like it. Makes the witch seem like the good guy. Love it. I Wish it was more detailed and longer though.

zman1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 7:21 am
I really like this. What inspired you to write it? It also answered one of my questions about what happened to the bread crumbs. I always thought that birds ate them. I also liked how you treated the witch as a sympathetic character.