A Sunday Morning | Teen Ink

A Sunday Morning

Saturday night, 9:48, pitch black outside and no street light turned on. The moon is also missing tonight, nothing but darkness…

“Huh (looking up) that’s strange?”

Owls hooting, crickets been crickets, no other noises but the normal critters out in the darkness.

“Wait is that my house”

As he leans forward he seems to be moving forward towards the house a little bit faster.

“This can’t be right, I was just home.”

Running out of breath he slow downs and as he places his hand on his chest.

“What’s this? Is… Is this blood?”

Touching his chest repeatedly looking for some wound or injury that could be causing this. After searching for a wound, he looks back up to run, but now he’s now in a room.  

“Where am I? (looking towards the window) I remember this place, it’s our old house. Wait why am I here? Am I dead? Is this my heaven? Is this my happy place?”

As he begins to realize his reality he has no choice but to accept it.

“I don’t remember it being this bright outside (he moves towards the window covering his eyes)”

“MOVE!”

“MOVE IT!”

“Notify the doctor that we have a patient who was shot in his left chest.”

The boy then attempts to lift his hand to block out the bright light.

“Don’t move sweety, your gonna be just fine.”

Blocking the light wasn’t working since he couldn’t feel his left arm. He then starts to lift his head to get a look around to figure out what was going on. He sees all the blood over him and he begins to panic.

“Don’t worry sweetie, your gonna be just fine. You’re in a hospital babe, we’re gonna take care of you.”

The boy begins grunting in pain, trying to turn left to right.

“No sweety don’t move, save your energy.”

“MOM?!”

“Ssh boy, just rest.”

She whispers to the nurse that’s helping with the boy.

“He’s not looking well, is the doctor ready?”
“Yes, he’s just up ahead around the corner. He’s ready to begin the operation.”

(radio playing “Africa” by Toto)

“Wonder what’s for dinner tonight?”

(Turns down radio volume and dials phone number)

“Hey babe”

“Mr.Karp?”

“Yes? Who is this and what are you doing with my wifes phone?” said Mr.Karp

“Sir relax, I’m Sargent Steven Collins, I’m with the police department.”

“My apologize Mr.Collins but can I ask why you have my wife’s phone.”

“Mr. Karp I’m afraid your wife Mrs.Karp was killed in your household. We have been notified that your home has been robbed and your wife was home during this incident and the thief shot ”

“Is……..Is she dead!?” asked Mr.Karp

“Yes...I’m sorry.” said Sargent Collins.

He began to tear up fearing that he as well might have lost his children.

“What about my sons, are they OK!”

His voice was became scratchy and low.

“Mr.Karp we were notified that your son, Luke was home in the time of the event. There are signs of a struggle,  your son was probably fighting the robber after he heard your wife die, He was injured and was sent to the hospital. The bullet didn’t kill him but he went into cardiac arrest and died in surgery.”

Mr.Karp breaks into tears after hearing this news.

“What about Cain, where is he?” Mr.Karp managed to say.

“Cain was spending the night at a friends house near by, I sent for an officer to pick up your son, so far we haven’t told him what has happened here but he was told you would be there to pick him up. We thought it was best if he heard what happened from you so you two can be there for each other.”

“Thank god he’s ok ( he whispered to himself) Thank you Sargent Collins I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

“I’m sorry Mr.Karp, see you there.”