The Great Gatsby Fan-Fiction | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby Fan-Fiction

November 30, 2018
By 540170 BRONZE, San Jose, California
540170 BRONZE, San Jose, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Back at the auto garage, you could hear Myrtle and Wilson arguing with each other. Their yells filled the dark smoggy skies of The Valley of Ashes. People who passed by were terrified of the loud yelling that came from inside of the building. Wilson had finally found out about the affair that his wife, Myrtle, had been having with Tom. He was finally putting the pieces together to why Myrtle had been treating him the way she did for all that time, especially when Tom was around. The feeling he felt when he heard the truth was unbearable. It was like being stabbed in the chest with a very sharp knife. Already feeling sick, this only made him feel worse.

“Do you have something to tell me?” asked Wilson.

“Well what do you mean? You’re going to have to be more specific than that.” said Myrtle with a very suspicious feeling.

“You know what i’m talking about, your interest in Tom.”

As soon as she heard Tom’s name come out of his mouth she immediately felt a feeling of worry. She knew that he knew about her and Tom.

“I know about the affair you’ve been having with him.” said Wilson.

“Oh Wilson i’m sorry, really. It won’t happen again-”

“It’s alright, I know it won’t… because i’ve decided were moving away.”

“What!” exclaimed Myrtle.

“I’ve already packed your bags.”

Even though Wilson knew about the affair that Tom and Myrtle were having he still decided to stay with her. Myrtle did not like the decision that Wilson made. She was angry and so she got up and started to look for her bags. As soon as she found them she tried to reach for them but Wilson held her back.

“What is wrong with you?” said Myrtle.

Wilson grabbed her arm and pushed her away from the the bags. As he pushed her away he noticed something that he had never seen before. Myrtle was wearing a white pearl necklace. The light was shining off of each white pearl almost making it blinding to look at. Wilson never gave her a necklace like that before, mostly because he could never afford one. As soon as he seen those pearls a hostile vibe entered the room.

“Who gave those to you?” asked Wilson in a very loud and angry tone.

“Nobody baby, I got them myself.” answered Myrtle.

“Now don’t you lie to me. Tell me the truth.”

As Wilson tried to get an answer out of Myrtle he threw her to the ground. About thirty minutes went by of constant yelling and arguing and hitting. Wilson still asking where the pearls came from knowing that Tom gave them to her. He pushed her against the wall near a window. Wilson was furious and so he grabbed the pearls from around her neck and asked her one more time wear she got them.

“Where did you get these?” Wilson said aloud.

Then Myrtle heard a sudden noise come from outside on the street. She noticed it was getting closer. It was loud. It sounded like it was made by a beast. The sound was familiar like they heard it that same day. Myrtle looked out the window and saw a car. A bright yellow car with the headlights on so it made it hard to see the driver especially with the glare that came from the window she was behind. The dark of the night did not make it any better. It was like the car was rising from out of the shadows getting closer and closer. Then she remembered, it was Tom. Or so she thought.

Credit: A work of fanfiction inspired by Tom and Myrtle in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Rationale: I chose to create this scene because I felt it necessary to give a little more detail and insight to what was happening back at Wilson’s auto garage. I thought that we should understand what was happening before the crash that killed myrtle, why she ran out the way she did. So then we can fully understand everything.