Law | Teen Ink

Law

August 28, 2018
By Anonymous


The crowd in the auditorium became silent as the dean of Harvard stood by the podium. “Today all the hard work of the students have come to an end,” He said happily. “We are here to congratulate our students, based on their accomplishments.” Tony walked up to the stage to receive his diploma, whilst the Dean commended his accomplishments. “Tony is one of our preeminent graduates, congratulations sir.” Tony smiled and glanced at the crowd whilst shaking the Dean’s hand, being awarded his diploma. The graduation continued with the rest of the former students receiving their certificates/diplomas. Over the next few years, Tony had been slowly investing into his own law firm. He had been employed at a local law firm located within New York. A few years later, Tony bought his own law firm. The building was large in size and consisted of nine stories. Within the next four years, Tony’s law firm has been declared undefeated. The news media were interested in his success. “Tony Jr. more than a hundred victorious trials among his client cases. No defeats!  How does this man do it?” CNN reporters were astonished. “Today the conquering Tony has claimed another success in a trial that should’ve lasted more than a month, he secured his victory less than a day.” Competitors unveiled themselves, but were incapable of sustaining their successes.


    The day was as usual as previous ones for Tony. As he arrived at the law firm, numerous individuals greeted him. The large building took some time to maneuver within due to the labyrinth of hallways and elevators. The door of Tony’s office always creaked as he opened it. “Okay, time for some work,” he grunted as he sat down on his enormous chair. Tony began to open a case file, but was interrupted by David who filled in for Simon, who is currently on vacation in The Bahamas. “Yes?” asked Tony curiously. “Sir, we have a client here with a very particular case, and  the authorities claim he is the murder suspect.” Tony nodded calmly and trailed David to his office where the client awaits. “Hello sir, My name is Tony.” “Artur.” Tony shook the client’s hand. Tony began scanning/inspecting the statistics of the clients case. Tony read each sheet of paper within the file word by word written by authorities, FBI investigators, and prosecutors. “Distress call. Victim was brutally beaten. Multiple bullet wounds.” “It states here, authorities detained you, but you were within the building. “I attempted to fight off the attacker.” Tony began observing the client, his pronunciation and frequent movement including neurotic responses. “The FBI claimed the weapon used within the crime scene was not licensed and consisted of your fingerprints,” Tony asserted. “I have to apologize, but I can’t defend you within the trial.” “But sir, David stamped the official file appointing your law firm as my defendant/attorney.” Tony gave a sharp enraged look at David.


    “Alright sir, let us arrange a meeting for tomorrow afternoon,” Tony said as politely as possible. “Sounds amazing,” said the client while shaking Tony’s hand happily. As the client left the office, Tony’s face immediately changed expressions. David began to speculate the future and a spark of fear broke loose within his stomach. “David!” Tony yelled angrily. “You are fired!” David left the room as swiftly as possible. Tony held his face in his hands,”Not like this! A-All my work will go down the drain because of this case.” Tony sprinted down the hallway to his office, and shoved all the paperwork on his desk aside as he prepared the client’s file. The day passed, Tony spent his time reading the file. “There is no victory in this one,” as he mumbled Tony’s assistant alerts him of the client’s presence. “Hello Tony,” “Hello Artur,” Tony said in a bitter hate attempting not to reveal. “I have some questions to ask you. I see that the prosecutors have appointed a witness.” “Were there any witnesses at the scene?” “No, it was inside my home,” Artur proclaimed. Tony began contacting authorities regarding the incident that occurred with Artur. “Hello sir, the name of the witness is James.” “Thank you.” Tony hung the phone and began asking numerous question. “Do you know a man named James?” “No” replied Artur. “I see the images the FBI has provided, with the weapon.” “Did your wife have an affair with another and did she have siblings?” “Not that I know of, but her two brothers visited every week.” Artur began making speculations of the incident. “What are their names?” “The older brother’s name is Jack but we call him James.” Tony became anxious to know more while Artur began denying the accusations against Jack.


          The day of the trial had arrived, and Tony was paranoid of the outcome. “All rise,” said the officer while the judge walked to the podium. “You may sit” said the judge. “Alright, accuser please begin the trial.” “Mr. Artur was the prime suspect of the murder of his wife.” “ Authorities received a distress call from the neighbors regarding the incident and officers found Arthur holding the weapon used to shoot his wife.” As the trial went on, Tony began analyzing key details of the file. “Artur do you have a would from the attack?” “Yes, I was cut with a blade on my back.” Artur claimed. “We would like to introduce the key witness James, to the podium.” The judge approved but the witness would have to take an oath before the eligibility of speaking behalf of the accusers. “Put your right hand over the book. Repeat after me. I swear that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me god.” The witness repeated and agreed, and prosecutors began asking questions. “Were you present at the scene of the murder?” “Yes,” replied the witness. “Did you see Artur shoot his wife?” “Yes,” “I object,” Tony said. “I would like to present my witness your honor.” “Approved.” “I would like to present Artur, witnesses attending the trial began rumbling. The judge struck the hammer three times and the room became silent.

         

   Tony became confident. “Artur, may you describe your side of the story?” “What did you do in the morning?” Tony asked. “I got dressed and prepared for the day, then went to work.” Artur said in a incomprehensible manner. “What did you do in the late afternoon?” “I came home and found my wife being assaulted by the suspect.” Artur was silent for a second and began speaking. “He pulled out a gun, I tried to fight him and I was able to disarm him.” “I attempted to fight him but he had a knife. He struck me on my back.” Artur said angrily. “May you show us the wound?” Artur pulled his shirt up, the wound was not stitched or decontaminated. “Thank you Artur, I would like to present my next witness your honor.” Tony said in a happily manner. “Jack, also gone by the name of James the key witness of this trial. “James did you lie about your identity?” “No.” he said. “ Tony opened his case, and wore gloves, and asked “May you identify this knife?” The knife had blood on it, and a small serial number on the handle. “I am not aware of the knife.” He proclaimed. “Your honor, I traced the knife back to the origin at a local store, the buyer’s name is Jack, the brother of the victim.” “This knife was found by the FBI, two blocks away from the crime scene.” “The FBI identified the owner of the blood and the fingerprints.” “The reports state the fingerprints/DNA belongs to Jack, and the owner of the blood belongs to my client Artur.” As Tony said smiling and handing the confirmed legal paperwork to the officer who transfers them to the judge.


The room became louder than the celebration of 4th of July. Jack became angry and was being detained. “Due to the evidence provided by both parties I hereby vote in favor of the defendants.” The audience cried in awe, while Tony and Artur smiled happily. Days had passed and news reports were rolling in. Clients created a line outside of the building for their trial cases that needed resolvement. Tony called David back to the office, “Hello David, I would like to apologize for before.” Tony said in a difficult manner. “Y-you may have your position back within the business.” “The case was a success, I just had to overcome my paranoia and take challenges allong the way.” “Without you, I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish that achievement.” Tony said happily. “Thank you.” Tony and David walked around the building where Tony showed David his new office where David will work. “Fully remodeled, and new equipment needed for your cases.” Tony walked back to his office very anxiously and lied back on his chair.


The author's comments:

A lawyer encounters tough situations that may conceivably destroy his flawless reputation.