Fatal Love | Teen Ink

Fatal Love

November 20, 2008
By Anonymous

I hear a noise from across the bathroom, so I rush out of the bathtub. I am home alone and ponder what could have been that noise. I look around, first searching my parents room -- nothing. I start walking toward my bedroom and notice a dim light in the computer room. Opening the door I immediately observe the computer screen was on and a letter was typed on it
Dear Abigail

I am a man in love with a woman, and that woman is you. My desire is of nothing except you, food has lost taste, and anything that once has pleased me no longer does. Happiness does not exist for me unless I am with you. All my thoughts are of you, I just can’t seem to stop thinking of you. Everything I do, I do for you. The smell of your yellow blonde hair, the mysterious look of you aqua blue eyes, the texture of your angelic face, and that model like body drives me crazy. While listening to you in class, it’s apparent that you have bad grades. Teachers will no longer wrong you in such a way anymore. Oh and the boys that harass you, they won’t be doing that anymore. The girls that tease you out of envy, no longer will, but it’s not like their capable of ruining your perfect image. Lastly, I hear you constantly complain of how unfair your parents are, how they treat you badly each and everyday. It breaks my heart to know that my darling is not happy. My purpose in life is to guarantee your happiness. And that being said I believe what I have done will cause you tremendous joy. Everyone that I’ve heard you complain about and that has wronged you, no longer will. All the harm they have caused you, has been returned to them one hundred fold. Soon, very soon we will be together, only you and I in eternal bliss. And there is only one way for that to happen . . . .

The next day all over the news was the murder of six teachers, seventeen students, and the entire Johnson family. Police found the murders to be caused by John Smith, a junior at Bowen High School. The bodies of John Smith and Abigail Johnson were found in a casket together at the local graveyard, both were dead. In the casket was found a note written by John.

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostage. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.