Judgement | Teen Ink

Judgement

By ahsanbhatti BRONZE, Islamabad, Other
ahsanbhatti BRONZE, Islamabad, Other

“No, no, no! Stop! Don’t do this!” The police officer begged his former comrades. But they ignored his pleas for mercy as they dragged him into the desolate room and slammed the door behind them.

“Let me out!” The officer screamed desperately, but his cries were to no avail.?“Let me out and I won’t tel anyone you did this!”
“Hi.”
The officer turned around slowly, apprehensive. A shabby looking old man in tattered clothes and no shoes stared at him. His eyes were intelligent,  but there was something dangerous about him. He was sitting on a metal chair behind a desk, with his hand cuffed in front of him. And most startling of all, he was surrounded by the bodies of other policemen, their blood decorating the walls. The officer reached for his gun and aimed it at the old man, his hands shaking as he did so.
“Do we really have to go through this again?” The old man gave a weary sigh.
“Just stay where you are!” The officer shouted, trying to gain control.
“This is getting tedious.” The old man waved his hand, and the officer’s gun disintigrated before his very eyes.
“Sit down. I promise not to kill you. At least, not in the next five minutes.” The old man waved to another chair near the desk. The officer approached the chair and sat down gingerly.
“Good. Now we’re getting somewhere.” The old man smiled, and then his expression turned serious once more.
“Those people. Why did they put you in here with me?”
Seeing the officer’s defiant expression, the old man said, “I can make you tell me.”?The officer caved in.
“They…I caught them stealing money. I was going to turn them in.”
“Ah, and they thought I would get rid of their problem for them.”
“Yes.” The officer admitted ?“I like the tone your kind uses whem you tell the truth. I wish you’d do it more. Its very…pleasant. Do you want me to kill them for you? Those…policemen.”?“What? No!” The officer replied, shocked.
“Are you sure? Its no bother.”?The officer stared as the same policemen who had dragged him into the room entered, holding their guns to their heads.
“This could be very cathartic for you. Call in poetic justice.” The old man said calmly.
“Please, don’t!” The officer begged.
“Okay. Suit yourself.” The old man waved, and the policemen left the room.
“Close the door after you.” The old man said cheerfully.
“What do you want?” The officer asked.
“To kill everyone on the planet. Well…not everyone. No need to be overly dramatic. Just you humans. The animals are going to be fine. In fact, they’re going to be much better off.”
The policeman stared in a mixture of fear and horror.
“What?”?Leaning forward, the old man spoke with a twinkle in his eyes. “You see, my people navigate the stars loooking for races which potentially may harm or help the galaxies. If its help, we try to aid them in whatever way possible. If its harm…the human race has proved time and time again that it is constitutionally incapable of performing a deed for just the good of others. I took this disguise, the disguise of an old, homeless man on the streets of one of your most prosperous cities. And I faced no compassion, no care for the good of a fellow being. Instead, I saw cruelty, destruction and pain. In the future, your people will destroy yourselves and other races in your petty squabbles over the most trivial of issues. We have to get rid of you.”?The cuffs on his wrists clattered to the floor as the being stood and faced the policeman.
“Right now, you have a choice. Every race we deem unfit for life, we try to take one person from that race and get that person to join our ranks. You seem like one of the few good people on this planet. You can join us, and witness marvels you could never have even imagined on this deary, backwater planet. Or…”?“Or what?” The policeman was spellbound by the words. ?“If you can prove to me that there is one person living on this planet who would willingly sacrifice himself for his people, at no gain, purely out of the goodness of his heart, I’ll let your people live. However, you would stay here, in your miserable existence, and never know the marvels I do.”
The policeman knew exactly what he needed to do. Without a word, without a speech, he raised his gun to his temple, closed his eyes and pulled the trigger.
Click.
The empty gun clattered to the floor as the amazed policeman staggered back. The old man stared in pure astonishment.
“Amazing,” he whispered. “No one has ever passed this test. Not even me.”
With that, the strange being exited the room, and the policeman collapsed to the floor.