The Flood | Teen Ink

The Flood

May 24, 2018
By megidulaku BRONZE, Tirana, Other
megidulaku BRONZE, Tirana, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“This season has brought in unbelievable amounts of rainfall as rivers have overflown most parts of West Virginia and Ohio. Reports from extreme flooding at a local school leave 12 injured and 1 deceased. More information soon as we are reporting live from Saint Lazarus of Bethany High School of West Virginia.”
TV’s flashed as numerous newscasts blasted the occurrence of the floods from channel to channel. Meanwhile, I was alone, the whole school flushed out with the immense forces of water entering the building from every single opening apart from the top floor. Minute by minute the school submerged into what seemed as an endless ocean of water with a never ending flow.
I felt lucky to survive the flood. There wasn’t much to do as minute by minute passed with only a simple yet, difficult task at mind, surviving. Water kept forthcoming in as the Ohio river, which was accountable for numerous floods over a couple of years, was infused by vast amounts of rain. I had managed to bring up any remaining food and drinkable water to the school’s attic, which had become my new home. I still was unable to believe how fortunate I was as the attic remained out of contact with the rest of the flood’s effect. Two days passed and I was beginning to lose any sign of hope as my ears tingled at the slightest sound of rain dripping over the roof. Yet as I woke up, I rose to complete and utter silence apart from the sounds of my breathing. Finally this was the single chance I had as the rain went through a slight intermission to try and find a way out this waterpark resembling prison.
As I tried to open the attic door I was restrained by the firm forces of water which locked me in. There was no other way that led neither in or out the attic guiding me towards an investigation of what could become the only surrounding walls I would see for the rest of my life. The rain was about to begin as the sun vanished among the clouds as if it had never appeared. I opened one of my remaining cans of food but my frustration had gotten to my brain, ordering every nerve in my body to thrust the can of food all over to the other side of the attic. Chunks of tomato sauce sunk under the floorboards revealing a god given gate which might as well be my salvation out of this hell.
I picked up a crowbar and used it to steer the tomato sauce away from the hidden door, trying to find a way to get it open. I felt as if God was finally on my side as a ladder emerged from the bottom of the door leading to an opening of the building, giving me a sense of relief and making my escape easier. I gathered my belongings and picked up a crucifix which I wore over my neck and finally headed my way out. As I took my first step out the ladder few droplets of rain brushed against my skin motivating me to accelerate my way out. Luckily for me, there was a tree bark big enough to be considered as a raft to navigate through the water currents that had filled up the streets. I was beginning to question how neighborhoods that would be filled with numerous families had washed away.
I had become one with the water as the raft flowed gently while meandering along. I had become soaked in water and as the night fell, the situation gradually became colder. I was beginning to think that I wouldn’t make it through the night yet a spark of light in a neardistant home proved me wrong. I came to the decision to paddle towards the house and seek shelter under its roof, hopefully among others. It took a while to get there but as soon as I reached it I felt a slight sense of relief. Once I entered there was a grand meal set as if it was awaiting my arrival accompanied by a couple of daily newspapers. I sat down and began to take a bite when I picked up the newspapers left on the table and began to read. As everything seemed unreal I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read the headlines of the paper and saw a familiar face. Mine.
“Local student dies as a result of floods at local Saint Lazarus of Bethany High School.”