Diary Entry | Teen Ink

Diary Entry

By Anadl325 BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Anadl325 BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

It is the night before the Ides of March, which is when Caesar is going to be crowned. I’m feeling very anxious and unsettled about this plan to kill Caesar. Part of me wants to kill him because Cassius says it’s the right thing to do, and it would be for the good of the people. I think that Caesar would be a good leader, but I fear that he may change once he is crowned. I have been worried about the Ides of March for a long time, and the conspirators have been trying to make me commit to this plan. They want everyone to take an oath and hide his face, but I feel that since this is a noble cause we should not have to. Taking the oath would make me feel like I have to stick to this plan, and I don’t want to do that if killing Caesar is the not the right thing to do. I also don’t want to hide our faces because that is something that weak and shameful people would do. The conspirators also want to murder Antony because he will want revenge from killing Caesar, which I think is unjustified because he has done nothing wrong. Regardless, once Caesar is gone Antony won’t even be a problem to worry about. On the other hand, Portia has noticed that I have not been myself recently, and she is worried about me. She wants me to tell her what has been going on, and she even showed me her loyalty by stabbing herself. I decided to tell her our plan, and now she is even more worried about me. I’m still very conflicted on what to do, and this is terrible timing because the Ides of March is tomorrow.

This is a diary entry written from the perspective of Brutus from the play Julius Caesar on the night before the ides of March.