The Brain Surgeon | Teen Ink

The Brain Surgeon

By aubree4 BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
aubree4 BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa

I had just gotten home after a long night at the hospital when my phone rang. I answered,
“Hello, Doctor Frim speaking.”
“You have just won a free car,” says the automated voice at the end of the other line.
I hang up and head upstairs to see Jenny, my beautiful daughter. I peek into her room and see that she is sound asleep. I head to my room and find my wife peacefully sleeping. All I want is to crawl into bed next to her.
After a nice long shower, I step out and the house is no longer quiet, I hear Jenny crying. I head in to pick her up from her crib but stop just as Cassie my wife rolls over and hits snooze on her alarm.
“Hey, you are home,” Cassie says.
“Long night?” I reply.
“Yeah, we missed you.”
I finally head into Jenny’s room and I can’t help but think how I have missed so much of her 6 months of life because of work. I pick her up and we head downstairs for breakfast.
“I have to head back to the office in a couple of hours. I have a new patient coming in, then I’m going to stop at Inn and Out and pick up dinner for us.”
“Ok, sounds good.”
I can tell Cassie is exhausted and she’s obviously not been sleeping well the past few nights.
“Hey, why don’t you go take a shower and have a little time for yourself. I’ll take Jenny to the park and you can have the house to yourself.” I say smiling.
“This is why I married you.” Cassie says leaving the dishes and heading up the stairs.
Jenny and I walk back from the park thirty minutes later. Jenny passed out on the walk back so I take her up to her room and lay her in the crib, careful not to wake her. I walk in to my bedroom and see Cassie laying asleep in our bed, I kiss her on the head to tell her I’m leaving and Jenny is asleep.
I arrive at work right on time and the new patient, Maria is waiting in room one.
“Hello, you must be Maria.”
We chit chat for a while and I learn about my new patient. She is special and I hate the fact she’s not able to figure out why she is suffering from migraines. I will figure this out, not only for her sake but, for me, if only to show her how not all doctors are the same.