Three Graceful Deer | Teen Ink

Three Graceful Deer

May 8, 2018
By SugarSprinkle PLATINUM, Ann Arbor, Michigan
SugarSprinkle PLATINUM, Ann Arbor, Michigan
25 articles 0 photos 1 comment

They are the only ones who excite me. I am the only one who admires them. Three graceful deer with elegant legs and watchful eyes like mine. Three amongst an entire herd in my yard. Three professional dancers who perform for me. From my room, I can see them, but Father just works and doesn’t appreciate their presence.
Their poise is a gift. They instruct their peers on the next few moves. They practice and present their play from sunrise to sunset and run across the stage like rushing rivers and leap off the ground like kites taking flight. This is how they try to make others smile.
Let one forget his reason for being happy, they’d all end their show like sickened butterflies, each drooping their ears. Smile, smile, smile they say when I cry. They inspire.
When I am too sad and too overwhelmed to keep smiling, when I am a broken pencil among so many books, then I watch them. When there is too much left to complete on my desk. Three who lived despite danger. Three who laugh and do not forget to laugh. Three whose only reason is to dance and dance.


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by "Four Skinny Trees" from The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.