Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

Favorite Teacher

May 8, 2018
By Watuh SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Watuh SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I never knew I would love math class.  Before high school I came to a conclusion that math was not my strong suit and that math has no purpose in my everyday life.  Freshman and sophomore year flew by and now I am a junior.  I barely passed Advanced Algebra and now taking functions, which I heard was a hard class. 


I noticed that I have seen this teacher before at ACC, his name is Mr. Witte.  ACC is a summer program for athletes to stay in shape for spring sports or to just get a workout in during the summer.  During ACC, he always talked about how your response to a situation will affect the outcome.  If something bad happens to you, you should always go after it was a positive attitude otherwise there will be an even worse outcome. 
At Arrowhead he taught me during the summer, I never really got to know Mr. Witte until I was in his class for the first time.  He opened up to his class like never teacher has done with me before.  When he starts to talk about even the little things going on in his life it really makes me motivated to do well in his class.  In his classroom he tries to get as personal with you as possible so that you become motivated, not by just talking to you but by bringing you out from hiding and sharing your thoughts with everyone.


Mr. Witte is not only a teacher but he also the girls varsity basketball coach.  Between school and being a coach he probably does things differently.  I sometimes walk by during their practices and notice that he has a different sense of tone in the environment.  People can easily notice that there is a time to mess around with Mr. Witte and there is also a time to get serious with him as well.


Mr. Witte on the first day talked about his life and how we are his kids and how he wants to see us succeed.   From that day on, I have felt comfortable around him at all times.  He has this special sense of affection and I don’t know how to put it but it is definitely there and it definitely helps me through the math class.  Even if you don’t get something in his class he finds time in his day so that you can come in and get what you need done. 
A special thing about his classroom is that people can get up and leave whenever they need to use the bathroom or anything.  They don’t need to ask the individual can just get up and leave.  He thinks that since we are grown adults we are capable of doing things on our own and that includes using the bathroom.  He doesn’t want to waste class time for you to raise your hand and use the bathroom, so instead you can just get up and leave.


Mr. Witte looks like your average teacher and he always dresses for the occasion.  He usually wears a polo with dress pants and for winter usually a long sleeve dress shirt or a girls basketball sweatshirt.  Mr. Witte when it comes to getting all dressed up for occasions is very laid back.  He is the kind of teacher that has a casual friday or a wacked up wednesday.  If there is a basketball game on the other hand, he has to dress for that occasion as well just like the players do.