Crayon Girl | Teen Ink

Crayon Girl MAG

She gave me a crayon. A red crayon. A red Crayola crayon. The crayon she gave me was a red, Crayola crayon. It had a paper wrapper. The paper wrapper was slightly frayed. The paper wrapper was red. It was sunny out. The sun sparkled through the window. The sun’s golden tendrils gently brushed her face. She smiled. The smile showed her white baby teeth. She had a beautiful smile, from the elegant curve of her red lips to the soft dimples in her cheeks. Her red lips. Her lips were red like the crayon and the crayon wrapper. Her cheeks blushed. They blushed a slight red. Her cheeks were a lighter shade than the crayon red. Her eyes smiled. They were brown. Her eyes were brown and her hair was brown. It was nice brown hair. It was shiny and long. I wanted to touch it. I wanted to play my fingers through her silky-looking brown hair. Her hair reflected the fluorescent ceiling lights. I liked her.

I liked the way she laughed. It was a clear, high laugh. It made the air crinkle with joy. The air crinkled with joy when she laughed. The laugh made her skin crinkle, too. Her skin was drawn perfectly across her face. It was gorgeous, glowing, fair skin. She had red freckles. They were peppered gracefully across her red cheeks and pretty nose. She was my crayon girl. The red crayon girl. I liked her that day. And the day after. And the day after the day after. I liked her in first grade. I liked her in second grade. The red crayon girl. She was the girl I liked in third grade. I gave her a necklace then. A heart-shaped locket. It was gold, and my mom put it in her mailbox.

Two weeks later she moved away. Things weren’t closed right. Thinking of her still makes my stomach flicker with the soft brushes of butterfly wings. Whenever I hear her name, I can still see her in my head. At the ring of a bell, her crystal clear voice still echoes through my mind. We’re both older, we’re both different. But a part of me is still young, and a part of me still gets lost in the red crayon girl.

i love this !

This is so realistic!

anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison

Absolutely beautiful.

wizard101 said...
i loved your story and i would love to write on this website, i think people would like my writing. you did an amazing job and should continue writing! you made your story repeditive and it worked well with the tone of the story.

Pink<3 said...
This was really cute!!I loved it.

Mella PLATINUM said...
Mella PLATINUM, Natchitoches, Louisiana

" All the World's A stage, and all the men and women merely players." - Shakespeare's "All the Worlds A Stage" poem.

This is amazing! :) I love it, I love it, I love it. My heart skipped a beat at the ending because it was so innocent and beautiful and just... well Awesome! ^.^ I love it. 5 stars! :)

FlannelSkin PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

“If faces are different when lit from above or below – what is a face? What is anything?" - William Golding, "Lord of the Flies"

aw. I'm glad the crayon was red.

Dolly9471 BRONZE, Berkeley Heights, New Jersey

In the end will will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Such a deep story. I loved it!!!

on Dec. 8 2012 at 1:39 am
Elizabeth-of-rohan PLATINUM, Abbeville, Louisiana

Pain is stronger than life, stronger than death, love, loyalty, duty.
~Essad Bey

"you are tired (i think) of the puzzle of living and doing; and so am i. come with me, then, and we’ll leave it far and far away—" - e.e. cummings

I loved the POV in this story. Beautiful.

writergirl2 BRONZE, Gaines, Michigan

"The Constitution gives people the right to pursue happiness...you have to catch it yourself."
(Benjamin Franklin)

All I can say is that I cannot wait to hear more :)

OnAndieAvenue GOLD, Fowlerville, Michigan

"Everyone who lives will someday die and die alone. "

Marry me. This is nearly flawless. I love your repitition. I love how different and unique your style is. I don't know what to say. Besides "Marry Me," that is.

massacre said...
massacre, Lakewood, Washington

"Hate is a word for somebody you love but no longer believe in."

Red, the color of love. I really liked it. Mostly because it's so well thought out and beautiful. Graceful. Good job.

TragicMagic SILVER, Smiths Grove, Kentucky

"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts...and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

this was a beautiful...speechless.

on Apr. 7 2011 at 2:03 am
byebyebeautiful, North Olmsted, Ohio

so how long did i expect love to outweigh ignorance, by that look on your face i may have forced the scale to tip..... -AVENGED SEVENFOLD, ALMOST EASY

im speechless.... i just am..... it was .... beautiful...and well thought

on Jun. 29 2009 at 3:16 am
cheyenneduhon PLATINUM, Lumberton, Texas
I loved it! i just wished you would hav shown more emotion when she moved away. But i do love the way it is.

Keep writing!

LilJ<3 GOLD said...
on Apr. 11 2009 at 12:01 am
LilJ<3 GOLD, Gloucester, Virginia
Good job... I like the descriptions and the way you connected everything. The way you wrote this poem was unique and i like that...best of luck in everything you do...

♥Jackie

badwriterbetterreader101 GOLD, St. Louis, Missouri

"To have something you've never had you must do something you've never done."

That was VERY nice. I really enjoyed it!