Crayon Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She gave me a crayon. A red crayon. A red Crayola crayon. The crayon she gave me was a red, Crayola crayon. It had a paper wrapper. The paper wrapper was slightly frayed. The paper wrapper was red. It was sunny out. The sun sparkled through the window. The sun’s golden tendrils gently brushed her face. She smiled. The smile showed her white baby teeth. She had a beautiful smile, from the elegant curve of her red lips to the soft dimples in her cheeks. Her red lips. Her lips were red like the crayon and the crayon wrapper. Her cheeks blushed. They blushed a slight red. Her cheeks were a lighter shade than the crayon red. Her eyes smiled. They were brown. Her eyes were brown and her hair was brown. It was nice brown hair. It was shiny and long. I wanted to touch it. I wanted to play my fingers through her silky-looking brown hair. Her hair reflected the fluorescent ceiling lights. I liked her.

I liked the way she laughed. It was a clear, high laugh. It made the air crinkle with joy. The air crinkled with joy when she laughed. The laugh made her skin crinkle, too. Her skin was drawn perfectly across her face. It was gorgeous, glowing, fair skin. She had red freckles. They were peppered gracefully across her red cheeks and pretty nose. She was my crayon girl. The red crayon girl. I liked her that day. And the day after. And the day after the day after. I liked her in first grade. I liked her in second grade. The red crayon girl. She was the girl I liked in third grade. I gave her a necklace then. A heart-shaped locket. It was gold, and my mom put it in her mailbox.

Two weeks later she moved away. Things weren’t closed right. Thinking of her still makes my stomach flicker with the soft brushes of butterfly wings. Whenever I hear her name, I can still see her in my head. At the ring of a bell, her crystal clear voice still echoes through my mind. We’re both older, we’re both different. But a part of me is still young, and a part of me still gets lost in the red crayon girl.

wizard101 said...
i loved your story and i would love to write on this website, i think people would like my writing. you did an amazing job and should continue writing! you made your story repeditive and it worked well with the tone of the story.

Pink<3 said...
This was really cute!!I loved it.

MellaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm:
This is amazing! :) I love it, I love it, I love it. My heart skipped a beat at the ending because it was so innocent and beautiful and just... well Awesome! ^.^ I love it. 5 stars! :)

FlannelSkin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:15 pm:
aw. I'm glad the crayon was red.

Dolly9471 said...
Such a deep story. I loved it!!!

Elizabeth-of-rohanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:39 am:
I loved the POV in this story. Beautiful.

writergirl2 said...
All I can say is that I cannot wait to hear more :)

andie_luv23 said...
Marry me. This is nearly flawless. I love your repitition. I love how different and unique your style is. I don't know what to say. Besides "Marry Me," that is.

blublood said...
Red, the color of love. I really liked it. Mostly because it's so well thought out and beautiful. Graceful. Good job.

Paranormal4Ever said...
this was a beautiful...speechless.

byebyebeautiful said...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 2:03 am:
im speechless.... i just am..... it was .... beautiful...and well thought

MyChey5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 29, 2009 at 3:16 am:
I loved it! i just wished you would hav shown more emotion when she moved away. But i do love the way it is.
Keep writing!

LilJ<3 said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 12:01 am:
Good job... I like the descriptions and the way you connected everything. The way you wrote this poem was unique and i like that...best of luck in everything you do...
♥Jackie

Layla K. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was VERY nice. I really enjoyed it!